Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Military Antennas and Mounts(ranting & planning)

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by SaltWaterDrinker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:52 pm

Okay...

So the thought of throwing military antennas onto the truck with the addition of a Fab'd bumper system came into my head whilst trying to do Statistics. So, instead of working to figure it out, I worked to figure these antennas out...their configurations, and who to buy from. This is what I came up with - road block to follow:

Shakespeare makes marine and military antennas. They also seem to be the only company that publicly admits to making antennas that match my needs.

I would need the mounting bases, which could either be "in/on bumper" or side mounting, which I would mount to the sides of the truck...or onto the side of the bumper(front MDB bumper or stock rear).

I would have to get the 118-174 for VHF:
http://shakespeare-military.com/milantennashow.asp?t=43

...and the 1.6-30 whip for CB usage:
http://shakespeare-military.com/milantennashow.asp?t=35

^That particular antenna is debatable for CB use - there are so many to choose from.

I'd re run coax...and work on tie downs. The only road block is - how does one buy these? Does anyone have any prior military experience when it comes to working with antennas like this?
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

Name: Josh
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by TangoBravo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:13 pm

I was a Cav Scout in the Army and have some experiance with radios, they weren't my speciality but I was good enough to get on going in a pinch. The problem I see it most of the antennas were radio spacific at least the ones I had experiance with, that's not to say you couldn't cross use antennas but you may not get the range/clearity your looking for might work in a pinch but not something we did as a permemant fix. As far as buying well you can find just about anything on ebay. Altho for the hassle it's going to cause is it really worth the trouble? I mean hell you could just get a white firestick and paint it, there is that old saying how do you make something tactical? Paint it black and add $100. I mean really there isn't much special to them outside of needing them to keep a resto period correct or what have ya I never was so impressed that I had ever thought of using them on my personal rigs. Altho I have on occasion used afew as make shift fishing polls again in a bind but anyways I may have some old material on the specs but if I remember right it was mostly the radios not the antennas, stuff like programming and maitenance for dirt and stuff.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert
Vehicle Year: 2004

by djthumper » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Josh, why is it you are wanting to use these antennas? There are several antennas that will do the same thing. I used these antennas quite a bit when I was in field units.
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006

by SaltWaterDrinker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:01 pm

djthumper wrote:Josh, why is it you are wanting to use these antennas? There are several antennas that will do the same thing. I used these antennas quite a bit when I was in field units.

The look and (what I thought was) performance...especially for down in 27/30 and for VHF as a whole.
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

by TangoBravo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:24 pm

There are very few things that we use in the military tech wise that doesn't transfer over to the general public. To be honest buy a good antenna and paint it, call it a day. That will save you alot of trouble.

Not sent from a Iphone.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

by fishsticks » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:28 pm

They sell black FireStiks...
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by SaltWaterDrinker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:41 pm

fishsticks wrote:They sell black FireStiks...

I have a Laird CB antenna - its a professionally made Antenna for agencies who need "professional CB." Its the best you can get outside of the military based ones.
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

by KE7WOX » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:05 pm

SaltWaterDrinker wrote:
djthumper wrote:Josh, why is it you are wanting to use these antennas? There are several antennas that will do the same thing. I used these antennas quite a bit when I was in field units.

The look and (what I thought was) performance...especially for down in 27/30 and for VHF as a whole.

Honestly, unless you're running an illegal CB, you're still limited to 4W or something like that. These antennas would probably give you an advantage if you were running a fully legal 10m (or lower frequency) rig, there's a reason the UN, ICRC and other NGOs run $1500 Codan antennas, but for a 4W CB, I'd say you're wasting your money.

I've seen the antennas before for sale on ebay and military surplus websites, complete with brackets and everything. My advice is to go for something simpler and more reliable. Get a firestick and paint in whatever color you want, if you want the look, maybe get the mast and mount it to that. I don't have a Laird CB antenna, but I have 2 of them for VHF and they work pretty good, these are still professional grade antennas, just not commonly used in military vehicles (although MP agencies to use them).

If you still want a military antenna, probably check around military vehicle enthusiast sites / CUCV owners websites and you will probably find a wealth of information
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G

by SaltWaterDrinker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:09 pm

Understood.

The hope is to get into 10M. The antenna would complement CB usage until that time.

I love the Coden antennas - they're brilliant but expensive. I love their radios too.

I will search into the used sector...I just noted that in order for them to work for my application's needs, I'd have to modify them heavily.
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

by djthumper » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:35 pm

Laird Antennas are not what they use to be. When they bought Antenex and Cushcraft they got a hold of some great antennas. I believe the CB antenna ou have is the Antenex. If you are wanting a more effective antenna for the CB then look at the 102" or a screwdriver antenna. The screwdriver antenna will help give more useable bandwidth since it is electrically changing the tune of the antenna.
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006

by v7guy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:34 am

Most of this I ask through ignorance.

I have a 36" firestik, wish I got a 48".

What do these other antennas have to offer that I don't have?
The antenna I'm connecting mounts to the body through a bolted connection to the body with an additional ground wire... is this ideal? If not, why isn't it?

I don't have the big whip that the hummers have stretching from the rear bumper and lashed to the front. Is that really necessary?

I'm 3/4s through mounting my antenna/cb. Obviously I'm not rocking a high powered illegal setup... All info is welcome. Maybe this can be the CB resource on offroadtb
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by KE7WOX » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:54 am

v7guy wrote:M
I don't have the big whip that the hummers have stretching from the rear bumper and lashed to the front. Is that really necessary?

I believe that's how you get the best coverage in hilly terrain due to the radiation pattern of whip antennas.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G

by SaltWaterDrinker » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:59 am

That is what I'm working to acquire. Plus the transition on these broadband whips (from CB to MilHF) is decent...and easy. There is a Greek seller on eBay selling an elemental antenna for 10 USD...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Whip-A ... 0706468886

However, I don't know if it is flexable, and what type of mount it would work with.
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

by hobbstisdaman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:53 pm

Just buy a satellite dish and mount it. Problem solved. if anything I'd want to stay civilian with radio parts. The Military ones are crap. We have breakage on HMV's almost weekly. and that isn't even in the desert. Thats here in the US
Shoot, Move, Communicate. Build Thread
hobbstisdaman
Trail-Blazer

Name: Grant
Vehicle Year: 2007

by SaltWaterDrinker » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:34 pm

hobbstisdaman wrote:Just buy a satellite dish and mount it. Problem solved. if anything I'd want to stay civilian with radio parts. The Military ones are crap. We have breakage on HMV's almost weekly. and that isn't even in the desert. Thats here in the US

Jesus that's horrible...
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

by hobbstisdaman » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Which part?
hobbstisdaman
Trail-Blazer

by SaltWaterDrinker » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:54 pm

hobbstisdaman wrote:Which part?

The breakage. I didn't realise they were such crap. You'd think how they're mounted so high up and what not that they would be more...robust.
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

by hobbstisdaman » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:18 pm

Most of it was internal breakage or overheating (as the engineers told me) which rendered the antennas useless. The radios are crap too. As well as wiring. Sometimes its grounded so badly that if you turn up rf gain you'll hear the engine through the radio.
hobbstisdaman
Trail-Blazer

by TangoBravo » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Our shit is made by the lowest bidder, or whom ever gives the biggest kickback. Seriously just because the military has something does not mean its all that great. I can think of ALOT of examples of the military using WAY out of date shit.

Really just buy a good antenna and call it good.
Not sent from a Iphone.

TangoBravo
Addict

by hobbstisdaman » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:49 pm

:Iagree: Couldn't have said it better myself
hobbstisdaman
Trail-Blazer