Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Passenger Airbag Question

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by Karo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:45 pm

I would like to remount the holder for my Getac V100 Laptop directly in front of the passenger airbag.
Is it correct that the passengers seat has a detector that can determine if someone is sitting on the seat?

Bill (theRoadie) did you have taken pictures from the backside of the dashboard when you have removed the dashboard? If so could you please post some?
The idea is to find a way to disable the passenger airbag when the laptop is mounted in front of the airbag. If the passenger side has a detector for the seat then it is easy to not take place on the passenger side :lol:

Maybe it is possible to completely remove the passenger airbag and use the space like in this picture:

The other idea is to remove the passenger airbag. Removing the passenger airbag is street legal in germany, but there are some restrictions. Disabling the passenger side airbag is not street legal, only for rally, offroad and so on.
Don´t wont that the notebook in front of the passenger airbag will kick directly into the face of the passenger (in case of a accident).
My other question is, when removing the fuse for both airbags did the system point out a failure after installing the fuse again? I have read on the owners manual that the airbags are intact and can expand even the battery was disabled - that could happen in a time of 10 seconds after disabling the battery. Anyone has heard of that?

Nice build by the way:
http://www.offroad-forum.de/viewtopic.php?t=44670

KaRo
Karo
Trail-Blazer

Name: Karsten
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:16 pm

If the issue isn't answered by the time I get home, I can look through some schematics to see how the passenger airbag is wired. Normally all airbag related wires are shrouded in yellow, so they should be easily identifiable. Not sure if a butt trigger would share the yellow shrouding or not. I doubt it.

I do believe that removing the fuse will trigger an airbag warning light on the dash. I am not sure if it would disable all possibilities of the airbags deploying in a crash. They can apparently deploy with as little as 3-4 volts, and can supposedly be set off by a large static discharge. So be careful when working with them.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Nakashige » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Hears my question Did Steve or Anton disable there air bags. Did steve for the ultimate adventure
Nakashige
Vendor

Name: Ben Caesar
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Karo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Nakashige wrote:Hears my question Did Steve or Anton disable there air bags. Did steve for the ultimate adventure

Good question!
Karo
Trail-Blazer

by Karo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:02 pm

JamesDowning wrote:If the issue isn't answered by the time I get home, I can look through some schematics to see how the passenger airbag is wired. Normally all airbag related wires are shrouded in yellow, so they should be easily identifiable. Not sure if a butt trigger would share the yellow shrouding or not. I doubt it.

I do believe that removing the fuse will trigger an airbag warning light on the dash. I am not sure if it would disable all possibilities of the airbags deploying in a crash. They can apparently deploy with as little as 3-4 volts, and can supposedly be set off by a large static discharge. So be careful when working with them.

Hi James,
before touching anything on the airbag system it is better to look at the schematics. I have all the time and currently i am only researching what could be done and how to.
I will try on weekend pulling the fuse and reinstalling it, then i´ll see what happens. My aeroforce interceptor can read out and clear the failures. Maybe i can install a switch for disconnecting, but therefore it has to be clear that after pulling the fuse the airbag system is shut off.
Thank´s for your help!

KaRo
Karo
Trail-Blazer

by navigator » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:53 pm

My 06 has a sensor in the seat which determines if the passenger is over 90lbs or not.
It appears to be pretty accurate.
I have an indicator light on my rear view mirror to let me know if the airbag is active or not.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by The Roadie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:54 pm

I have a hundred pictures of the dash removal project I have not posted. I always thought somebody might have a use for them someday. I won't have time until later in the week to get them put on my site.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Karo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:04 pm

navigator wrote:My 06 has a sensor in the seat which determines if the passenger is over 90lbs or not.
I have an indicator light on my rear view mirror to let me know if the airbag is active or not.

Okay there is a difference within the years my 2002 has no indicator in the rear view mirror, maybe there is no sensor in the passenger seat in the 2002 year models. I have to research..
Karo
Trail-Blazer

by Karo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:10 pm

The Roadie wrote:I have a hundred pictures of the dash removal project I have not posted. I always thought somebody might have a use for them someday. I won't have time until later in the week to get them put on my site.

Bill i was sure that if somebody has pictures of that kind i´m searching only one person has them - YOU!
Don´t worry time is not a problem. It would be awesome if you could share them!

KaRo
Karo
Trail-Blazer

by Trail X » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Karo wrote:
navigator wrote:My 06 has a sensor in the seat which determines if the passenger is over 90lbs or not.

Okay there is a difference within the years my 2002 has no indicator in the rear view mirror, maybe there is no sensor in the passenger seat in the 2002 year models. I have to research..

Eww, that could mess things up, as I only have schematics for 2005. Most cases it is similar, but it seems based on the evidence that there was a system change at some point.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Nakashige » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:56 pm

I would have to look at my 03 I forget what it has. But in my 2002 2500HD I have a key switch to turn on and off passenger air bag.
Nakashige
Vendor

Name: Ben Caesar
Vehicle Year: 2003

Return to Electrical / Radios