Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

hids, better bulbs, etc...

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by chevycrew » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:40 pm

So I have been researching lighting, and have found that while HIDs are nice, to do them "right" is expensive.

The problem is cutting off the low beam so you dont blind other drivers

Morimoto mini H1 bi-xenon projector housings are awesome, and a retro fit.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/produc ... cts_id=227

You can save money by using a cheaper ebay hid kit, and wiring.

HIDs arent recommended for high beams, unless you go with a special ballast to handle all the on and off cycles.

So I stumble upon 9012 bulbs for low beams, and 9011 bulbs for high beams. The light output is supposed to be really good, and no other mods needed to run them.

I might just have to try some out, about $20 a bulb at amazon.

(this all started from researching lights for my camaro)
chevycrew
Veteran

Name: Steve
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:54 pm

I know everyone says get housings with your HIDs... but I've been followed by my truck and been face to face with my truck while driving my wife's Beetle (she was driving the truck) and never been blinded by my HIDs. :scratch:
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by chevycrew » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Are they not that bright? Maybe the reflector over the bulb in the TB is making a big difference? What temp bulbs?

My camaro wont have any reflector over the bulb, and the light scatters pretty bad in those housings.
chevycrew
Veteran

by fishsticks » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:34 pm

chevycrew wrote:Are they not that bright? Maybe the reflector over the bulb in the TB is making a big difference? What temp bulbs?

My camaro wont have any reflector over the bulb, and the light scatters pretty bad in those housings.

6000K. They are bright and throw a lot of light. I think the reflector thing may have something to do with it.
fishsticks

by mikekey » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:12 pm

HID's in a projector are better over the stock housing reflectors. You might not be blinding others, but you're also wasting the HID. I've had both, 35W 4500 temp HID's in the stock housing. I just recently upgraded with projectors at 55W with 5000K temp. It's like night and day for visibility.

I also upgraded all my Hella's to HID's using kits from DDM Tunning, pretty much turned the truck into portable stadium lighting.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by BigBen » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:14 pm

I found some really nice and bright, I think they're h3's at a local stereo shop (Streamline Audio for those near PDX/Vancouver) that have a slight bluish glow and really put off some light. I'll go see if I can find what brand they are if someone is really interested. I've also done a lot of research on converting my TB to HIDs. I found a guy in Cali, sickhids.com , that does full retrofits. I emailed him not to long ago about doing mine and this is what came back:

"Hi Ben. Thanks for your inquiry.

Basically, I retro-fit/build "custom one-of-a-kind" lights per order (to customer preferences). A "base" retro-fit for the 06 Trailblazer headlights (includes 2~55 Watt Digital HIDs, 2~Bi-Xenon Projectors, 2~Chrome Gatling Style Shrouds, 100% "plug & play" install, and a lifetime manufacturer's warranty on all components) starts at $400/pair (USD) + shipping ($40). You have to send me your headlights (in California) to retro-fit.
I use only REAL, High Quality, High Performance "Bi-Xenon" (Hi/Lo) Projectors & 55 Watt HIDs (40% brighter than 35w HID) with all my builds. I have MANY options (and colors) available (too many to list), to build a set of unique lights (to your taste). All my retro-fits/custom builds also include 100% "plug & play" install, lifetime manufacturer's warranty on all HID & Projector components & live technical assistance (7 days > e-mail, phone or Skype). "

Seems legit and he has a YouTube channel where he shows off some of his custom orders. He mostly does motorcycles, but does do just about anything. I think the best option is buying a set of extra headlight housings off eBay and having those sent to him rather than sending the stock ones. That way there will be a second pair to swap out if you decided to sell it off and keep the HIDs. $400 isn't too bad for what you get. There is also a few videos on YouTube how to do the conversions yourself and the time that goes into it, I think the $400 is definitely worth it, plus he guarantees his work.
BigBen
Off-Roader

Name: Ben
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by chevycrew » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:06 pm

Sounds like he is just doing for you what you can do yourself with the parts listed in my first post.

Everthing you need from the theretrofitsource is $270, and all you do is open the housing and install.
chevycrew
Veteran

by Nakashige » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:11 am

Steve have you seen the rigid industries led lights they are very bright as well
Nakashige
Vendor

Name: Ben Caesar
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Coxinabox » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:37 am

A retrofit isn't just as easy as slapping parts in. It's a lot of cutting and fitting to get the projector body sitting right. $400 for a pair with lights included is a screaming deal. Even at $270 for parts, $130 for some one else to complete labor and guarantee them, I might have to break open the piggy bank for that.
Coxinabox

Name: Andrew
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370

by chevycrew » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:37 am

I'm a big fan of DIY.

But really, a retrofit with a good kit, is just as easy as slapping the parts in. Install projectors, level, the adjust headlights.

I have seen the rigid lights, but I'm not meaning offroad lights. Just upgrades to the headlights.

If someone wants to send me their headlights with 400, I will happily convert them to projector hids and ship them back...
chevycrew
Veteran

by JCrayton99 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:04 am

I picked up a second set of headlights to modify into something that will put out a lot more light and look semi good. Ive had HID's in mine before and they put out a ton of light but still didnt blind anyone. Also looking at installing LED halos just for the hell of it.
JCrayton99
Trail-Blazer

Name: John Crayton

by v7guy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:13 am

I daily drove my 94 firebird up until 6 years ago... I thought the TB lights were fantastic. lol
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by fishsticks » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:23 am

v7guy wrote:I daily drove my 94 firebird up until 6 years ago... I thought the TB lights were fantastic. lol

As a former LT1 Camaro owner (REALLY shitty headlights) I support this statement.
fishsticks

by chevycrew » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:43 am

My 94 camaro was horrible as well, untill i retrofitted driving lights into the headlight spots, then it was pretty good.
chevycrew
Veteran

by navigator » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:42 am

My TB has the best headlights of any vehicle I have ever driven. I haven't figured out why the need for brighter headlights.
Now my backup lights combined with tinted windows suck. I have that on my list of things to fix.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by Opeth » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:02 am

I have the sylvania ZXE halogen bulbs, and they are the best thing I have come close to a full HID retrofit. But the down fall of them is, they clearly state the bulbs arent going to last anywhere near a normal bulb. I'd be happy to see a year out of them.
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody

by Trail X » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:22 am

Cody, are those tinted glass bulbs? I've done some research on bulbs in the past. Anything with a blue hue (or any hue) on the glass is robbing you of light output. All it's doing is putting the light output into a bluer spectrum, and absorbing other light. That's why the life sucks so much, the bulbs absorb more energy than clear bulbs, and get much hotter as a result. By outputting more blue light, it only appears bluer, which we often take to mean "brighter"... but they aren't.

The rule of thumb I've adopted is to never use a colorized bulb. I wish I could find the great article I read a while back on this topic. I'll keep looking.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Trail X » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:58 pm

Found it... lots and lots of good technical reading through these links: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... bulbs.html

Highly recommended reading for those looking to upgrade bulbs or get hid.
Trail X
Founder

by Opeth » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:03 pm

James, yes the bulbs are slighty bluish in color but don't emit any blue hue when they light up like the older silver stars did. I've tried all of sylvania's high end bulbs and these are by far the best out of them yet. I've also Tried the hella high performance bulbs and didn't think they were as bright.

That's a lot of good information there, but in the end these still throw a lot more light than my OE's.

:shrugs:
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody

by Trail X » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:48 pm

I think they may be perceived by the eye to throw more light... but I question if they actually throw more lumens. Would be a very interesting test if someone had the right equipment.
Trail X
Founder

Next

Return to Electrical / Radios