Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

CB radio recommendations?

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by snowmirage » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:38 pm

In prep for TECORE next month and a few other adventures I have planned I figured a CB radio might be a good idea as its something I wont use very often I thought about getting a inexpensive handheld. After doing some reading it seems most if not all the handheld units suffer from poor reception due to the small antenna.

Anyone have a recommendation on an inexpensive CB radio? There are thousands out there I'm sure I guess more any particular features I should look for, not necessarily a specific one.

Any similar advise on an antenna?

Are the cables for the antenna standardized in some way? I think I saw a few build threads that mentioned installing one, I'll do some searching see if I can remember which maybe they'll give me some insight on the install and what else I may need.
snowmirage
Off-Roader

Name: Brandon
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by snowmirage » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:30 pm

In retrospect, I think I might look a way to mount the antenna allowing me to easily remove it. As often as I expect I'll use this I'd rather not leave it on my car all the time. One more thing to tempt people to break into my car for
snowmirage
Off-Roader

Name: Brandon

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:48 pm

I used a handheld at the last TECORE and it worked fairly well, not the best in a emergency on your own but in a convoy it is fine. I should be upgrading to a larger CB before the end of the month.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004

by djthumper » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:39 am

You can get a mag-mount antenna so you just place it up there. The CBs are kind of a personal choice, you can get them for around $60. The most important part is tuning the antenna's SWR for peak performance.
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bartonmd » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:12 am

My little mount is there all the time (see my build thread or the main CB thread with all the info in it). I just take the antenna off when I'm not using it...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by SaltWaterDrinker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:17 pm

Get a Midland 1000Z...small, cheap, and rocked out until I crashed.

Look into Laird whip antennas with lip mounts - they are by far the best CB antennas I have used...they professional, thou - not the stuff you'd buy at your truck stop or something like that.
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

Name: Josh

by v7guy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:36 pm

I picked up a uniden. From my reading the most important part is the antennae. I picked up a 3ft firestik. Suppose to be well liked. They make a quick disconnect if you want to remove it.
There's a lot of good info on the firestik website.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by jarheadgixxer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:53 pm

Cobra Ultra 19. Its small, you can run it through the cigarette lighter plug, and magnet mount antenna. Make sure you have someone tune the antenna with a swr meter. I get 8-10 miles on mine. The firestiks are good.
They see me Lurking they hateing.
jarheadgixxer

Name: Riggs
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Conner299 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:16 pm

I love my Cobra 29 ltd with Bluetooth. I love listening to it, more than my normal radio. Nothing like trucker fights over the air waves, and being able to find out what lane to be in, when traffic jams happen. Plus, I just had a trucker ask me how I had lifted my TB, just a few weeks ago. Being able to take a phone call with it is a plus, as well. Definitely go with the Firestick. Plenty of mounting options, on here in the CB section, for the antenna. The 29 LTD can be tweaked and tuned, if that's your thing, with a little research.
I DON'T care what my GMT360 was designed to do, I care about what it can do!
Conner299
Addict

Name: Ed
Vehicle Year: 2005

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:56 am

Around me the truckers barely even talk on them anymore. They all use cell phones and you just get faroff mumbling and feedback generally. I never turn mine on unless on the trails. Years ago we would only listen to CB, but times have definitely changed.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by SaltWaterDrinker » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:15 am

I've switched to a 102 inch whip and a Magnum export CB and all I do is shoot skip with people in the South - its quite an experience.

It blows that your area doesn't talk as much anymore, Kyle. I guess its the swarm of the day-cabbers and those who cant afford their own rigs anymore.
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

by TBYODA » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:59 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Around me the truckers barely even talk on them anymore.
I got my dads old cb installed and was thinking the same thing around me, heard a few guys hear and there. I have been wondering if it is really working or not if not for my swr meter I would be thinking no.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Conner299 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:16 am

TBYODA wrote: I have been wondering if it is really working or not if not for my swr meter I would be thinking no.

You can always shout out a radio check. I usually do once a week, when there aren't too many semi's close by, just to make sure I'm still getting out. Someday's are definitly quieter than others, but rush hour usually doesn't dissapoint. There's one guy, I pick up, every now and then. He's just across the border, in Indiana, and broadcasts a list of registered sex offenders on a loop. Addresses and all.
Conner299
Addict

by SaltWaterDrinker » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Conner299 wrote:
TBYODA wrote: I have been wondering if it is really working or not if not for my swr meter I would be thinking no.

You can always shout out a radio check. I usually do once a week, when there aren't too many semi's close by, just to make sure I'm still getting out. Someday's are definitly quieter than others, but rush hour usually doesn't dissapoint. There's one guy, I pick up, every now and then. He's just across the border, in Indiana, and broadcasts a list of registered sex offenders on a loop. Addresses and all.

If that doesn't scream 'Merica, I don't know what does.
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

by TBYODA » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:04 pm

Conner299 wrote:You can always shout out a radio check.
done that, nothing. Does anyone think the new cb's would be any better than one built in the 70's or other way round? Will know next week for sure.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Conner299 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:12 pm

It might not be the radio. Ask Wink about it... :poke: He could hear me, on the way up to the mini meet in Florence, but I couldn't hear him. Thought maybe he was shy, or he just didn't like me. Don't know the specifics, but something wrong with one of his connections.
Conner299
Addict

Return to Electrical / Radios