Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Block heater

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by TangoBravo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:43 pm

Ok so I found a block heater for the TB and wanted to know if anyone has installed one? Coming from Ca I have never needed one and with that my TB didn't come with one. Anyways Im getting tired of starting my truck 45mins to an hour before I need to go anywhere. Does anyone have any tips I should know about before I dive into this. It seems very straight foward but so have other mods LoL. Any tip, tricks, or advice would be nice.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:49 pm

Mine came with one factory.... I got nothin for ya. :(
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bgwolfpack » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:57 pm

Not trying to be flip.

You need a place with a garage!

Does the truck sit outside while you are at work? Would make for a long commute.

Does the block heater stay on all the time or just with the ignition key on?

BURRR!
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by OregTrailBlazin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:15 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:Does the block heater stay on all the time or just with the ignition key on?

BURRR!

Usually they plug in via 110 outlet, and are only on when your not using the rig. Keeping them warm all night, or day, so engine doesn't freeze. Plus side, it doesn't take as long to warm up.
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz

by navigator » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:00 pm

I read an article (bobistheoilguy) and he said 90% of engine wear is at startup due and prior to oil getting warmed up.
He also mentioned that the oil takes longer to heat up than the cooling system so just because your engine is registering 210 the oil might be much colder.

I expect for you guys that live in the cold North you might drive 30 mins to work and the oil never get warm.

For the colder climates a block heater makes sense.
Dad used to have on on one of his larger tractors growing up.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Trail X » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:26 pm

From what I've read, the hardest part is getting to the plug and removing it. It seems to take a lot of force. Some say the best method is to go in through the driver's side wheel, other say to go in from the top after removing the PCM. Good luck!
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by TangoBravo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:04 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:Not trying to be flip.

You need a place with a garage!

Does the truck sit outside while you are at work? Would make for a long commute.

Does the block heater stay on all the time or just with the ignition key on?

BURRR!

I know I do need a garage, but for now a block heater is the answer because I probably will not have a garage untill I buy a house here in Wyoming. Yes the truck does sit outside for 8-12 hpurs while at work and when it's around -10 or lower with the windchill a block heater is needed. To answer you question about how they work once installed you just plug it into an extenstion cord that's plugged into an outlet and it heats up. They are so common here that apartments and other buildings have plugs outside just for this reason.

To everyone else thanks for the tips. I managed to find a kit for TB's that do not require the removal of a freeze plug. I came acrossed it after I posted this. Thanks for the help, I will post up the install when it arrives and Im done.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

by Diacom » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:10 pm

You know, we have one on our TB, but I have yet to remember having to use it. Though if my wife has her way...
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003

by NC_IslandRunner » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:48 pm

A guy that works at the bowling alley has a block heater, he said the tb came from alaska, he has never used the heater.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:38 am

Mine has one and it has never been used
them.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by chevycrew » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:23 am

My crew cab has one and it makes a big difference, the engine is much easier to start with warm oil as well.
chevycrew
Veteran

Name: Steve
Vehicle Year: 2002

by TangoBravo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:15 pm

Diacom wrote:You know, we have one on our TB, but I have yet to remember having to use it. Though if my wife has her way...

You know if I wasn't a volunteer for the fire department/search and rescue and could be able to warm the TB up properly then I probably wouldn't take the time to do it. However continous below Zero start ups only to be driven to the station will kill my truck. Our town has 800 people in it so you can go from one end to the other and back and your car still won't even read a temp. If ypu have never used one you really don't know how nice they are to have.

TangoBravo
Addict

by Diacom » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:37 pm

Oh, we used em while we lived in Montana, and have had to for a few of our other vehicles here.

We have 145 folks living in our little town, it's small enough I yell at my wife anytime she drives anywhere in town, even if it's extremly cold.

She does work about 12 miles away though, and I agree, even then I don't think the vehicle is entirely warmed up when she takes the drive.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel

by 03envoy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:15 pm

Can you post the link to the block heater? How difficult do you guys think the install is?
03envoy

Name: Trent
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Mudwheelin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Sorry I was laughing at what you guys think is cold outside. Yesterday it was -42 and snowing...
Markmc 2.5 lift, 2"Markmc body lift. Markmc 1.5 spacers, 33" Dynapro MT's, exhaust, EMT cams, CAI, Chipped, Light Bar. T.L. Guards
Build Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2349
Mudwheelin
Trail-Blazer

Name: Christian
Vehicle Year: 2007

Return to Electrical / Radios