Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Weird Switch Behavior

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by Wahugg » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:26 pm

Today I was doing some general maintenance and work on my truck, which included finally drilling the hole for the switch that operated my roof light rack. Well the switch has a third prong on it for a ground to power an led inside when the switch is in the on position. The switch led never worked before because I didn't have the ground hooked up to it. Well I went to hook the ground up and the led switch light was flickering then going solid, then back to flickering. The roof light racks were solidly on, so that ruled it down to the ground wire.

I though it would be a simple fix to just clean the ground point (metal bolt that connects clearly to the aluminum dash frame). So I undid the bolt and went to sand it all down. I flipped the switch with the ground disconnected from the frame, but still pluged into the switch, basically a dead wire just hanging in the air. The light still flickered. I thought that was really strange. As soon as I disconnect the wire from the switch, the flickering goes away and there is nothing. The wire was not connected to anything at the other end, so that is why it was stumping me.

This only thing I can imagine is the wire is acting like an antenna? Or did air just suddenly become the new universal ground? (jokingly of course)

Here are a few pictures to help describe what I mean.
The pictures are not mine, just used it to help describe my situation.

^ Here is the switch not connected to the ground wire or ground. No switch led. (expected)
^ Here is the switch connected to the ground wire and ground. Switch flickers and then goes solid, then flickers again. Not expected, most likely a bad ground.

^ Here is the switch connected to the ground wire but not the ground. Switch flickers, no solid light at all. Defiantly not expected, Unknown solution.
Last edited by Wahugg on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by navigator » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:51 pm

where is the switch mounted at? Could it be contacting metal that could somehow be providing a weak ground?
I would just make sure to ground it well, does that make it burn solid?
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:39 pm

Is it a cheapo switch?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Wahugg » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:58 pm

It is mounted on the dash. I went and doubled checked and there is no metal making contact with it or near it. The metal stubs of the switch are covered up by the insulated connectors.

As for the switch, it is a $8 dollar one from Radio Shack. I mean I have never had a problem with their parts before, or even cheep switches from harbor freight.

The thing that is really getting me is that when I have a wire attached only to the switch, with the other end connected to nothing, the switch will flicker. But the second the wire is disconnected the flickering goes away. Makes no sense to me.

-Wahugg
Last edited by Wahugg on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wahugg
Addict

by fishsticks » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:03 pm

Sounds like a flaky connection at the LED.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by navigator » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:10 am

I'll be the first to admit I'm not an electronics guy but I wonder if it is something similar to static electricity but on the ground. Like the wire is picking up a little or something, no clue. I would just ground it good and be done with it.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:28 am

I've been thinking about this for a while, since I *do* design with LEDs, and it may be static pickup using the short wire as an antenna, but there's usually not enough energy in a static discharge to light up a LED. I'm suspecting some internal leakage inside the switch adding to the static pickup. If you ever replace it, I'd love to look at it in my lab.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Wahugg » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:42 am

It's yours if you want it roadie. Just let me pick up a new switch, pm me your address, and I can put it in the post for you around the beginning of next week.

-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

Return to Electrical / Radios