Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

MOD: CB Radio & Antenna Install

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by Gordinho80 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:29 am

I've gotten some feedback on my antenna install, so I decided to post a thread on it...

I needed a CB for TECORE II and for future trail rides... I picked up a Cobra 19 ULTRA III from the Wal ( I know... its the devil... :evil: ). I went to a local CB/electronics shop for an antenna, coax cable, and a mount... I originally wanted to do a set up like James & Dan have, on the Driver Side rear quarter panel above the tail light. The guy at the shop showed me a body panel/pillar mount that he said would look real good on the truck. At first, I didn't like the idea of drilling 2 holes in the sheet metal, but I figured 'F' it, go big or go home! So on to the pics...

Antenna mount already in place on the pass side rear quarter panel right in front of the tail light...

Inside, I pulled the panels back in order to get access to tighten the mount in place. Notice the scraped up paint behind the metal plate of the mount. This is to ground the mount/antenna. The coax cable just connects right to the bolts of the mount.

I then ran the cable up the rear pillar up to the headliner and then toward the driver side A-Pillar and down behind the dash.

Ran the coax and the power/ground wire along the inside of the dash toward the center console, tying the wires down to keep them in place.

The CB itself is mounted to the right of the steering wheel on the lower dash. I'm just under 6' tall and I'm comfortable driving with it where it is.

I have not decided where or how to mount the mic clip. Once I do, I'll take pics of that as well.

Equipment:
Cobra 19 ULTRA III CB with PA functionality
Wilson 4' Flex Antenna
18' Coax Cable
Pillar/Body Panel Mount
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by teebes » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:38 am

:woot: :mechanic:

Nice job :cheers: I'm really digging the looks of that mount. Happen to have a part number by any chance?
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Gordinho80 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:47 am

Not the exact one that I got.... but its JUST like it...

http://www.cbradiostore.com/servlet/the ... ide/Detail
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by Trail X » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:34 pm

Did you put a plug inline with the power/ground from the radio? If you ever have to dig into your dash or remove your CB; it will make things a lot less painful.

Also... is there a reason it's mounted so low? Dan and I were wondering if it could have been mounted like a foot higher on the body. Just wondering.

Great setup though! Seemed to work great on the trails!
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by OregTrailBlazin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:48 pm

Lookin sweet!!.. :thumright:

I would think you would want to do a little more gusseting on the inside, it wouldn't take too long before all the movement that antenna gets starts the oilcan effect on the quarter panel....
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Gordinho80 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:05 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Did you put a plug inline with the power/ground from the radio? If you ever have to dig into your dash or remove your CB; it will make things a lot less painful.

I did not, but I will be putting a plug in place soon.

JamesDowning wrote:Also... is there a reason it's mounted so low? Dan and I were wondering if it could have been mounted like a foot higher on the body. Just wondering.

The body lines of the quarter panel are all angled... the higher up you go, the more severe the angle. I wanted the antenna to stick as straight up as I could get it. I could have essentially gone higher, but then it would slant toward the truck more, putting added stress on the mount as well as make it easier for the antenna to whip the truck during flex.

JamesDowning wrote:Great setup though! Seemed to work great on the trails!

I think it worked great. I actually plan on taking the radio in to the shop to have him boost up its power a little. I noticed while you, Dan, and Frank were out scouting for a different campsite, I could hear you guys, but could not get out to you...

OregTrailBlazin wrote:I would think you would want to do a little more gusseting on the inside, it wouldn't take too long before all the movement that antenna gets starts the oilcan effect on the quarter panel....

The mount plate on the inside of the panel is about 2"x4". The holes drilled into the panel are only about a 1/2" and a 1/4". The plate is a little larger all around then the mount itself is on the outside of the vehicle. The mount seems VERY solid with the just that one plate. I didn't really see a need for more gusseting, nor does the guy at the shop, who has installed this mount the same way in MANY cars without issue. Had I not gone with a flexible antenna, I probably would have done more gusseting behind the panel.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by teebes » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:33 pm

Pic request... Do you have a angle from behind the truck looking forward on the passenger side? :angry whip:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Gordinho80 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:45 pm

teebes wrote:Pic request... Do you have a angle from behind the truck looking forward on the passenger side? :angry whip:

Tail light guard gets in the way... but you can still see it...

Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by MrSmithsTB » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:35 am

Thanks for the link. I think that is the kind of mount I am going to use as well. Now I just need to find my loud ass PA! :viking:
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Gordinho80 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:42 am

No problem... I'm very happy with the setup. The mount is solid and does well with the antenna I've chosen. I originally had picked up a 3' Wilson Flex, but with the mount that low, the antenna would have been lower then the rack... so I swapped to the 4', which is pretty much the tallest antenna you can go with for a mount like that.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by MrSmithsTB » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:24 am

Looks good and subtle. I've been toying with doing a magnetic mount for the roof, but I like that better. Couple new thingies coming next week, so we'll see. :twisted:
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by KE7WOX » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:38 am

What kind of PA speaker do you have and where did you mount it?
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G

by Gordinho80 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:39 am

Not sure the brand. It is a 5" horn style speaker... it is mounted on the passenger side behind the bumper cover. It is currently not working, not sure if it was damaged during TECORE 2... haven't had a chance to look at it since.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by KE7WOX » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:49 am

Gordinho80 wrote:Not sure the brand. It is a 5" horn style speaker... it is mounted on the passenger side behind the bumper cover. It is currently not working, not sure if it was damaged during TECORE 2... haven't had a chance to look at it since.

So right by the passengers side foglamp?
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

by Gordinho80 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:52 am

Yep
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by KE7WOX » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Ok.

I've been thinking of getting one, but had no idea on where to mount it (and there's not a lot of space under the hood), so that's a possible location.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Return to Electrical / Radios