Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Auxiliary Backup/Work Flood Lights

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by Jon A » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:49 pm

These are KC 517's.

They mounted to the provided locations on the Baja rack nicely. I spaced them out with a couple of washers so I could point them downward enough and tapered one of the washers so I could point them outward a bit.

They are wired to come on whenever the stock backup lights come on (the green wire in the middle BTW):

I also got the # 6303 add on switch which I mounted here:

That not only made running the wiring easier but it's easily accessible from the outside of the vehicle while facing rearward with the window open. It's wired so it'll turn them on even with the vehicle off.

So if I'm in the mountains shooting until dark or any other activity which needs cleanup behind the vehicle at the end of the day, I can just reach in and switch them on.

I haven't gotten any good pics of the light they throw yet, I'll try in the future. They have noticeable hotspots in the middle which project a long way back where you can see through your back window, but they also give off a fairly bright ambient light nearly 180 degrees in every direction so they light up the ground and to the sides of the vehicle pretty well.
Jon A

Name: Jon Aadland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Harry Moto » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:44 am

Nice job, well thought out, and a good idea. I'm going to end up doing something similar. Last time I was loading up after an evening trailride/shoot/campfire I was getting pretty annoyed with digging out my keys to click 'unlock' to get the stupid lights to come back on. It's funny the first time, less so the next time, and by time #8 it's all )^&&*$#*(&#*(&@#*()!!! Again?!!!!
2008 TB, 1.75" Smaxx front, 1.25" wheel adapters, 255/75-17 Silent Armor, compass mirror, 7" indash DVD/GPS, power passenger seat, & Mikes steel skid plate.
Harry Moto

Name: Harry
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Forest Green » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:48 pm

I really like those lights on the back of the tb. The switch is in a odd spot though haha.
Forest Green

Name: Ian
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 2WD

Return to Electrical / Radios