Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Antenna Mount

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by codejockey » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:25 pm

I'm not entirely sure this is the right spot for this; however, I'm looking for a 2m/70cm radio to put in my rig, and I think I've got a good deal from an SK estate sale. The issue is that I need to buy a new Antenna / Mount as well. I was thinking of this mount: Diamond Antenna K515SNMO

Has anyone used this on the TB luggage rack? Or, do you know of a better mount for the TB for an antenna like this. I'd prefer to go NMO if possible.

FWIW, the antenna I'm looking at is this one: Comet SBB-5NMO

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Trail X on Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Embedded image for you
KF5CKB
codejockey

Name: codejockey
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by djthumper » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:38 pm

Honestly the roof railing doesn't give very good bonding for the ground plane. If you don't want to drill a hole for your mount you are far better off using a mag-mount.

The antenna is a good antenna, I use to have one until the heat got to it.
djthumper

Name: Larry

by codejockey » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm not really opposed to drilling a hole, I'm just concerned about leaking and rust down the road. I've never drilled into the roof for an antenna mount before.
KF5CKB
codejockey

by KE7WOX » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:40 am

Some people have used, with success, some sort of hood bracket (or L bracket) attached to the frame side rails (myself included)
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004

by codejockey » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:36 am

KE7WOX wrote:Some people have used, with success, some sort of hood bracket (or L bracket) attached to the frame side rails (myself included)

Do you have a picture you could snap of that setup? Also, how does it work for you on tx/rx? Does that supply a sufficient ground plane for your rig?

I looked up your build sheet, and I saw the bracket you're talking about, but an upclose picture would be cool. Also, I saw that you have two radios installed...ICOM 208H and 2200H. These are two radios I'm looking to install myself, and I'd love to see how you mounted them in your cab.
KF5CKB
codejockey

by KE7WOX » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:23 pm

The 208 is not mounted, I just have it in the cargo area when camping etc so I don't have to go all the way to the front. The 2200 is mounted to the center console on the passenger side

I'll get you some pics later when I get a chance, the mount seems to work fine, at least for 2m. Someone else did a similar thing but using a flat bracket instead of 2 "L"s and apparently it works fine aswell.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004

Return to Electrical / Radios