Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Random Video /Critique Thread

Discussion of photos, video, cameras, and post-processing.

by Wahugg » Fri May 15, 2015 7:11 am

Having a video that I wish to post, and with more of us getting Go'pro's and drones, I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where members could throw up random videos to share and to get their video editing skills critiqued on.

This is from my trip around lake superior a week and a half ago. It's short but intentionally so. Enjoy!

-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by v7guy » Fri May 15, 2015 12:54 pm

It's a good idea, I liked the video but it seemed excessively short. The misses got me a gopro for christmas and I've yet to use it actually. I keep forgetting it's an option.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Sat May 16, 2015 1:34 pm

15 seconds is very short... I think you're confusing a youtube video with a vine.

The editing itself seems fine. Short snippets are good. The last shot with you not on the bike was very shaky and too short to get any idea of what you're looking at. The fade out was odd too, and felt abrupt, you tend to want to fade to black for a few seconds if you want to end your video like that. The transition from shot to shot was fine, but if you can, you want to try to make the cuts sync with the music, either with a beat, or with a measure.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Anthony Hernandez » Sat May 16, 2015 1:39 pm

Ya james is right, but good luck trying to get the editing and music syncopated to that Hindu Kush jive...
Marks3"-moog 14's-fox shocks-z71's-4.56 gears-rear locker-
My build - viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6225
Anthony Hernandez
Trail-Blazer

Name: Anthony
Vehicle Year: 2007

by Cable810 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:30 am

Thanks for letting my know you were in my area lol
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Wahugg » Mon May 18, 2015 10:14 pm

v7guy wrote:It's a good idea, I liked the video but it seemed excessively short. The misses got me a gopro for christmas and I've yet to use it actually. I keep forgetting it's an option.

Thanks for the input. As I stated the video was intentionally short. I was having issues with my camera properly starting/ stopping video due to a bad firmware revision. I found myself getting frustrated messing with the camera so I decided to put it away and simply enjoy the ride. Here is a good link describing the various modes on the Hero three. I have the Heroe 3 Black+ and found that a majority of the settings render the same result. 'http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/'

Trail X wrote:15 seconds is very short... I think you're confusing a youtube video with a vine.

The editing itself seems fine. Short snippets are good. The last shot with you not on the bike was very shaky and too short to get any idea of what you're looking at. The fade out was odd too, and felt abrupt, you tend to want to fade to black for a few seconds if you want to end your video like that. The transition from shot to shot was fine, but if you can, you want to try to make the cuts sync with the music, either with a beat, or with a measure.

Actually it's for an Instagram video (Vine is 6 seconds). Youtube is just an easy medium to share the work here on the forum. The fade out was suppose to be a sharp fade out, however due to the dynamic stretching weird bars were present as the video itself faded out but the effect did not (read more 'http://abekislevitz.com/43-gopro-footage-explained/'). I chose to do a short video due to the lack of footage mentioned above in Jason's response. I tried to make the video change/ focus change to the guitar strum @ .02, @.04 (skipped .07 strum due to clip length), @.010, and @ .13. I thought the guitar strum would be a good transition sound since it was a constant, repetitive sound but it sounds like it might not be a good point after all? And the last shot was just a clip to get a look at the bike since I wasn't able to get a good shot of it in the other clips. No other intentions but I agree that it was shaky and short. Just the best I had for what I wanted. Thanks for the feed back!

Cable810 wrote:Thanks for letting my know you were in my area lol

Sorry Caleb. I stopped in Cheboygan to grab some stuff from my room at the farm, but otherwise I was on my way.

Thanks for all the feedback

-Wallace
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

Return to Photography and Video