Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Photo Critique Thread

Discussion of photos, video, cameras, and post-processing.

by Trail X » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:17 pm

No matter your level of photography, we all have room to improve our skills and learn from one another.

Post a photo in this thread if you wish for a technical/aesthetic critique of your image. Replies should be critical in nature (that's how we learn!).

If possible, post the specs of the image (Camera, F stop, ISO, Shudder, focal length etc.)

------------------------------------------

To start it off, here's one I took this morning while taking the long way to work. It's been reworked a good bit in photoshop... color corrected, burned the clouds, etc. Mainly just wanted to play with my new lens.

Sony A33, 1/400, F13, ISO 400, 75mm

8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by NC_IslandRunner » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:15 pm

JamesDowning wrote:No matter your level of photography, we all have room to improve our skills and learn from one another.

Post a photo in this thread if you wish for a technical/aesthetic critique of your image. Replies should be critical in nature (that's how we learn!).

If possible, post the specs of the image (Camera, F stop, ISO, Shudder, focal length etc.)

------------------------------------------

To start it off, here's one I took this morning while taking the long way to work. It's been reworked a good bit in photoshop... color corrected, burned the clouds, etc. Mainly just wanted to play with my new lens.

Sony A33, 1/400, F13, ISO 400, 75mm

Pic is a little tall, 2/3 sky is awkward. Would be better if clouds were lower in pics, great subject matter, same pic in late October would be great with changing of leaves, less sky. Hope this is what you are looking for in a response!
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:55 pm

That's exactly the stuff this thread is for. Thanks for the critique!

I do agree, maybe cropped a bit high. I stuck the horizon at the 2/3 line, but maybe should have put the barn itself at that point.
Trail X
Founder

by Chutes » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:43 pm

My friend who is going to school for photography is the reason I bought my camera and he always tells me not to put the focal point right in the middle of the picture. Instead, he suggests that I try to put the focal point in one of the four corners of the inside frame box in the viewfinder (example) pictured below.

I have the HARDEST time with following his advise because I am a hunter. I instinctively put the middle of the frame on the middle of the subject just like cross-hairs. :shoot:

I think this shot might benefit from having less sky in the shot and also putting the large grain bin or silo or whatever that is in one of the four corners of the inside box shown in the viewfinder picture above.
Chutes

Name: Alex

by NC_IslandRunner » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:16 pm

The photo class at the overland rally mention something similar, putting the focal point off center, didn't say in the corners just off center so it doesn't look like a school yearbook photo, plus showing more of a nice background can really make a picture pop. sometimes centered on the subject bring them/it to much to the foreground and diminishes the background and overall look of the photo but not always.

I almost sound like I know what I'm taking about! (but I don't) :wallbash:
Just the little I've learned mixed with my personal opinion :mrgreen:
NC_IslandRunner

by Trail X » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:48 am

Chutes wrote:My friend who is going to school for photography is the reason I bought my camera and he always tells me not to put the focal point right in the middle of the picture. Instead, he suggests that I try to put the focal point in one of the four corners of the inside frame box in the viewfinder (example) pictured below.

I believe this is normally called the rule of thirds, except the viewfinder you show seems to have it marked off in quarters, not thirds. I guess it's 6 vs. half-dozen sorta thing.
Trail X
Founder

by Trail X » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:45 pm

Keeping this alive... (common... I can't be the only person out there taking pictures!)

I was about to enter this one into a contest, but found another one that I thought made a better statement. I shot this using the rule of 3rds, but ended up cropping a bit off the bottom, and I think it made it a bit more pleasant.

Trail X
Founder

by Chutes » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:28 pm

I really like this picture. I love the texture of the lake bottom. I also like how dark the image is.

I like the focal point but it seems like the photo is missing a subject.

The scenery is nice but it seems like the photo would stand out more with a clear subject.
Chutes

by Chutes » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:30 pm

Here's one of mine. Please tear it apart. :viking:
Chutes

by bgwolfpack » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:44 pm

May be the wrong forum for this kind of objectivity James. ---I will not tear apart something someone else has spent time on unless they critique it first.

CHUTES! Thanks for the instant screen saver! :cheers:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:27 pm

True Alex... I think that's a constant struggle when it comes to landscape images, the subject is sometimes hard to really determine. But that is what makes an amazing photo stand out.

As for your image, Alex, that skull has a lot of interesting shapes and colors. I think framing it off center would have increased interest a bit. As is, you're kinda following the rule of thirds, but at the same time, the center of the foreground object is smack dab in the middle. I also did a little color editing for increased drama:

chutes-critique.jpg

Randy, normally I'd say you're on the right track by respecting other's work. That's kinda why I created this particular thread. You can be respectful, but this reason to post in this thread is because you WANT input. We all want to be better and grow, and this is one way to do that. Learning from each other! Don't think of it as tearing it apart, but helping each other grow.
Trail X
Founder

by bgwolfpack » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:08 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Keeping this alive... (common... I can't be the only person out there taking pictures!)

I was about to enter this one into a contest, but found another one that I thought made a better statement. I shot this using the rule of 3rds, but ended up cropping a bit off the bottom, and I think it made it a bit more pleasant.

It's almost as if this is just the right quarter of a photo you cropped. Where is the subject?

The border does not lend to this photo. It creates an out of focus edge that forces the eyes to look upon it instead of the photo itself.

(Better)? ;)
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by bgwolfpack » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Ok, here is a snap I shoot.

As a snap, tell me what should be done better.

Mess if the shoot if you like. :D :cheers:

bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Trail X » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Nice shot Randy. I may play with editing it tomorrow during lunch, but to me, the left third doesn't add much to the image. It might go well as a vertical shot. I think I'd also try to get lower to the water, to make it jump out in the frame. A ND filter and stopping the iris down could also help you take a longer exposure, to blur the water. I love that blue/grey water you guys have out west.
Trail X
Founder

by NC_IslandRunner » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:43 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Keeping this alive... (common... I can't be the only person out there taking pictures!)

Great photo!

As far as the subject goes I think the shoreline makes a nice one, a subject does not need to be a single object in my opinion. the boarder I like, it's simple and needs a edge, looks like beveled glass edge. The blue and purple blend well with the red/brown. Overall tone is dark but peaceful. Some have made valid points as far as pro photography standards may go but I love it's feel and would not change it!
NC_IslandRunner

by Trail X » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks Rory. Funny thing, that photo was taken in the dark (about 40 minutes after sunset). Amazing the colors that a long exposure can pick up, even in the dark!
Trail X
Founder

by NC_IslandRunner » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:21 pm

Damn! I have got to upgrade my camera!

If I take a photo 40mins after sunset it's just dark.
NC_IslandRunner

by wink » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:17 am

I don't take a lot a scenic shots, but here's one I took with just a point&shoot camera.

wink ;>
my build
wink
Off-Roader

Name: Kevin
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Trail X » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:47 am

Randy, here's a quick edit to show you what I think is a bit better composition. I also blurred the water. This would be a really cool shot in moonlight, wouldn't even need an ND filter.

bgwolfpack-critique.jpg

Wink, this thread doesn't have to be scenic shots... it could even be shots of your truck that you want to get input on.

As for your photo, it's certainly a nice scenic area. However the photo is a bit uninspired. Next time, try taking a different look at the subject. Get close to it, get the camera down at water level maybe. Play with the composition. I was told this on another site: FART for fantastic photos... pretty good advice.
Trail X
Founder

by Skindiggers » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:11 am

Please shoot all your critics ... :shoot:
Attachments
IMG_0232.jpg