Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Video How-to Discussion (Time Lapse)

Discussion of photos, video, cameras, and post-processing.

by Trail X » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:44 am

Ok guys, I know this stuff is time lapse, and I understand how to do that with my DSLR, but how in the world did these guys get the panning during the time lapse? That's gotta be quite a rig.

Anyways, the video is incredible.

And another one:

8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Chutes » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:51 pm

Those video's are great.

I think they shot a large time lapse frame and then panned the view around the frame to get some of the more simple panning shots, but some of the more elaborate shots seem impossible to create without moving the camera slightly after every single shot. How did they get them to be so smooth?
Chutes

Name: Alex
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:29 pm

Been looking into it. Seems they use very low speed dolleys. Some of the dolleys even pause for the camera to take shots.

Going to have to look into this more.

But I need to first get an intervalometer. :work:

We need a photographer smilie... hmm.
Trail X
Founder

by djthumper » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:46 am

Wow, some amazing videos.
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by KE7WOX » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:28 am

I've seen people using those low speed rail dollies (if you can consider it a dolly, the ones i've seen are stationary). They set them up and then the camera moves by itself, I saw a guy using it at an airport open house and the setup looked amazing, but large and cumbersome.

My friend is basically designing and building one of those for his brother, using components mostly from McMaster and a small CNC
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004

by KE7WOX » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:29 am

JamesDowning wrote:But I need to first get an intervalometer.

This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

by Trail X » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:10 am

Sorry Felipe, not sure what that is. Doesn't look like the intervalometers I've seen.
Trail X
Founder

by KE7WOX » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:35 pm

It's an Arduino, an open source electronic projects platform, you can build your own using one of those.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

by Trail X » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks for sharing. At first I was like - what am I going to do with that!? Then looking into it... might be something really fun to play with.

I found the master of timelapse stuff... here's his latest trailer for a DVD he's selling:

That stuff blows my mind! I think I'm going to start up a new site... offroadtimelapse.com... :mrgreen: I think I first need to learn how to do this stuff myself.
Trail X
Founder

by Gordinho80 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:07 pm

JamesDowning wrote:We need a photographer smilie... hmm.

Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by KE7WOX » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:21 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Thanks for sharing. At first I was like - what am I going to do with that!? Then looking into it... might be something really fun to play with.

I found the master of timelapse stuff... here's his latest trailer for a DVD he's selling:

That stuff blows my mind! I think I'm going to start up a new site... offroadtimelapse.com... :mrgreen: I think I first need to learn how to do this stuff myself.

That's pretty neat. I'm trying to learn long-exposure astrophotography.

The Arduino is pretty interesting, i got myself one of those boards (the Uno) and I'm still trying to learn what can be done with it, it's got a lot of possibilities.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

by plaen » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:51 am

JamesDowning wrote:Thanks for sharing. At first I was like - what am I going to do with that!? Then looking into it... might be something really fun to play with.

When i first saw videos like these, I looked into it, as I picked up a dslr, Sony a230, since it fit my minolta lenses. It's a track with a low speed dolly, the ones I've seen are typically done using an arduino board for movement, clicking off the shutter, repositioning, and clicking another. There is a ton of code out there for it, most are for the Canon series cameras, mainly the 5s. I was going to attempt to build one since I'm getting tired with the stills I have, and I'm not all that good with repositioning the camera after each shot. But the mod/lifting bug hit me and that's where most of my funds have gone.

Maybe after I'm done, I'll get back into it and design one for my Sony. Could be a possible off topic build thread, lol.

I've seen a few where it will control the zoom on telephoto lenses, but mine lacks the low enough fstops to be of any use at night shots.
plaen
Off-Roader

Name: Paul
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Trail X » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:25 pm

Cool Paul, thanks for the insight. Yeah sometimes hard to figure out priorities between different hobbies. I struggle with that all the time.

The thing I'm really liking about this potential hobby, is that it goes perfectly hand-in-hand with camping.

On to the slider stuff, I too have a Sony. I actually have been scrounging up some parts at work that could create a pretty kick-butt slider... just need to figure out the details of the motion control. I've got an intervalometer coming soon, so I'm hoping I can get started with some simple still timelapse first, then if I like it, begin diving into some more complex stuff.

Here's another amazing time-lapse compilation:

Trail X
Founder

by KE7WOX » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:18 pm

plaen wrote:

When i first saw videos like these, I looked into it, as I picked up a dslr, Sony a230, since it fit my minolta lenses. It's a track with a low speed dolly, the ones I've seen are typically done using an arduino board for movement, clicking off the shutter, repositioning, and clicking another. There is a ton of code out there for it, most are for the Canon series cameras, mainly the 5s. I was going to attempt to build one since I'm getting tired with the stills I have, and I'm not all that good with repositioning the camera after each shot. But the mod/lifting bug hit me and that's where most of my funds have gone.

Maybe after I'm done, I'll get back into it and design one for my Sony. Could be a possible off topic build thread, lol.

I've seen a few where it will control the zoom on telephoto lenses, but mine lacks the low enough fstops to be of any use at night shots.

I don't know how you could control the zoom on a manually-zoomed lens though, you probably need to rig up a mechanical device.

Rigging a remote for a Canon camera is easy (Rebels), as you have a stereo 3.5 mm plug with focus, shutter and ground, I built a home made remote for my XT. However, the x0D and 1/5/7D have a proprietary connector, so you need to get a remote and then splice the cable, much more expensive.

I imagine a Sony would be similar, at least for the Alpha cameras

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

by plaen » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:30 pm

KE7WOX wrote:
I don't know how you could control the zoom on a manually-zoomed lens though, you probably need to rig up a mechanical device.

Rigging a remote for a Canon camera is easy (Rebels), as you have a stereo 3.5 mm plug with focus, shutter and ground, I built a home made remote for my XT. However, the x0D and 1/5/7D have a proprietary connector, so you need to get a remote and then splice the cable, much more expensive.

I imagine a Sony would be similar, at least for the Alpha cameras

It would be a little mechanical wheel or a rubber band type belt around the lens with a motor on it, a lot more complex getting it all setup and configured, but possible.

I just checked my Sony, I don't have an connector for a remote trigger, but it is a lower end model, so the higher models may have that. I have an ir remote I use for most of my night shots or where I can't disturb the camera, it has 30 buttons on it for just about everything, but only 5 work with mine, lol.
plaen
Off-Roader

Name: Paul
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Trail X » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:18 am

My Sony has a remote hookup. 3 pin, proprietary connector I believe.

I can't imagine why you'd want the zoom to be controlled by computer. Could make for some interesting footage I guess, but that can all be done in post too (at least mild zooms).
Trail X
Founder

by v7guy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:48 am

my god those videos are amazing.

I've just started playing with night shots the last few months and I still don't get very good results. I can't imagine taking the pictures at night and focusing and having a rig so it pans.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by Trail X » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:12 am

Finally got my intervalometer in yesterday, so I was itching to try it out. Watch it in min 720 to see the stars better. The view of the stars kind suck around me, due to the ambient light form the city, but it didn't turn out terrible.

Unless you compare it to this... then it looks pretty terrible...

Trail X
Founder

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:25 am

I thought your video was pretty good....until I watched the second one! j/k Not bad but need to try it out of the city.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory

by bgwolfpack » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:37 pm

I watched both without reading the first was yours.

The second video is cool with the openness and brilliant sky.

Yours has a complexity of modern suburbia life. The quietness of the night is transcended by ongoing life needs of its inhabitants with the puff-puff of the heater from the home in the middle of the shot. I respect the framing you employ by not concealing the true environment.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

Next

Return to Photography and Video