Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Photography Subforum

Discussion of photos, video, cameras, and post-processing.

by Trail X » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:35 am

Is there enough interest here to justify a photography specific subforum?

I know that a good of us tend to have photography as a hobby that tends to go hand in hand with our explorations. This thread could be off-road and non-offroad related picture discussion.

Please post your thoughts here, especially if you would like to see this happen.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Gordinho80 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:34 am

I like the idea. I think a lot can be learned with a dedicated Photography subforum. I would suggest... that details be posted along with the image, ie, aperture, shutter speed, iso, white balance, etc. I know that I enjoy using my DSLR... but I don't know nearly as much as I'd like to know about photography to use it effectively.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:44 am

Can you teach me how to take pictures with my cellphone? :finger:

I think it's a great idea.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by bgwolfpack » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Great idea James! :cheers:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by themightysteveo » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:44 pm

James... I do like this idea and am excited to see not only the pics but discussion as well. In a similar arena, I was wondering what interest or feasibility might lie in a "slide show" or "pic ONLY" thread? Something similar in function to the picture slide show on the ORTB main page of 'Members' Rides'. You know, an eye candy thread for members, lurkers and noobs alike. We all love the GMT platform and each of us post dozens of pics of our pride and joy. Maybe it's something or maybe it's not... Just an idea.
themightysteveo
Off-Roader

Name: Steve

by Trail X » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:51 pm

There is a random rig shots thread, if that's what you mean? Or do you want some sort of slideshow that grabs photos from every nook and cranny of the site and rolls through it?

If the latter is what you're looking for, try doing a google image search for the query: "site:forums.offroadtb.com". Kinda cool actually. Go here for an actual slideshow: http://googleimageslideshow.com/#simple ... roadtb.com

Elaborate some, if you don't mind.
Trail X
Founder

by Trail X » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Should I make this a sticky in the photography subforum? :mrgreen:

Trail X
Founder

by themightysteveo » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:19 pm

JD,

For the 'Random Rig Shot' forum... yes and no. Like most photo forums it attracts commentary. Not that that's a bad thing. You guys created a build thread comments forum so everyone's build thread could be their build thread and not a fly paper comment magnet. The problem, I perceive in a photo pure forum is the lack of animation or indexing transition, whatever you call it to cleanly and easily navigate through a series of photos.

As for the first Google image search... I did that A LOT and still do as a noob. It's a great tool but not quite what I was going for. The reason being that many of the photos associated with ORTB are technical or non TB or dare I say, uninteresting to all but those who have had or know of that issue. For instance, I have no G80 and while I did spend a few minutes looking at pics of a G80, It's not something I would stare at to day dream(?)... Where as, some of the calendar shots and a lot of pics on the trip reports are images that conjure strong responses to mod more, get out more, etc.

The last link... Is closer to a dollar without going over. That is a cool feature and a lot of fun...that's actually a very cool feature! Again though, it has all the pics from the four corners of the forum.

I guess what I was trying to say about the photo thread is, instead of having all the pics associated with ORTB or the non TB rigs in 'Random Rigs' is something along the lines of the Calendar and Photo Contest threads? Kinda like the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition... nothing sports related (or technical in our case) but everything fun to look at (muddy trucks, flex shots, action shots, etc.)?

Make sense :scratch:
themightysteveo
Off-Roader

Name: Steve

by Trail X » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:39 pm

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, we can make one of those in the photography subforum, no problem.
Trail X
Founder

by Chutes » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:39 pm

JamesDowning wrote:If the latter is what you're looking for, try doing a google image search for the query: "site:forums.offroadtb.com". Kinda cool actually. Go here for an actual slideshow: http://googleimageslideshow.com/#simple ... roadtb.com

YES! I knew there was a way to query. I like the thumbnail view better than the slideshow as the slideshow would take hours to view any great volume of pictures.

I think a sub-forum would be a great tool for us to learn how to better document our adventures as well as learn how to better use our photography equipment and process images.
Chutes

Name: Alex
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Chutes » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Is there a way to insert a simple poll after a photo to get some feedback on the image? That way people can vote if they like it or not (maybe on a scale of 1-10), but they don't have to comment.

It may be a way to keep the forum clutter free, but still keep it community based. (everyone likes feedback)
Chutes

Name: Alex
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:56 pm

We have polls for each thread that can be set up, but that would require a separate thread for each picture.
Trail X
Founder

Return to Photography and Video