Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

NEW THEME - Problems, Questions, & Bugs

Tell us what you'd like to see! Plus... site information, faqs, rules, announcements, etc.
Forum rules
The forum-wide rules can be found here: http://www.offroadtb.com/about/site-rules

by Diacom » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:15 pm

Trail X wrote:
Diacom wrote:First item I'm seeing James, there used to be an indicator to the right side of the posts so a person could quickly scroll down and find where the new posts started in a thread, that is now gone.

When you're in the forum view (or a search view, like "View Active Topics") you'll see the following swirly arrows. Clicking on the swirly arrow highlighted below will take you to the latest unread post. The latest unread post will also then be highlighted red, so that even if you scroll on the thread page, you can always find your place again.

Diacom wrote:Second, is there a setting to have it adjust for widescreen?

I'm not sure I understand. It has multiple modes for different screen widths, but there is a max width that is less than the standard 1080 widescreen size. I don't think you'd gain anything by having the content go fully edge-to-edge on that size of screen.

Alright, on the main screen or in any of the topics, the newest posts are indicated in red, just the same as the older version. However, I do not see new text in red. In fact, when I clicked on this thread, I had to scroll down and figure out what was new and what wasn't. In the old version, there was an indicator on the right side that was red when it was a new unread to me post. I understand now that I can just click and will take me immediately to the latest unread post, but will it go to the bottom of the list or the first unread?

Screen wise: the older version would auto format for full screen, atm, I have everything text related centered in the middle half of my screen and on both sides some fuzzy indistinguishable background. I'm guessing it's supposed to be a road lined with trees, but I can not really tell.

Text and photos just as well be used in widescreen format which looks better than only using the middle of my screen, otherwise I would just have a standard screen.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trail X » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:59 pm

Yes, in the thread view, the topics with unread posts will show up as red colored.

I don't think I ever saw the indicator on the right side of the threads that indicated the unread posts in the old theme. I will have to go back and take a look and see if I can integrate something like it into the new theme. It does sound helpful.

Yes, when you click the swirly red arrow from the forum view, it will take you directly to the first unread post in that thread. If you just click on the thread name, I believe it will just take you to the first post in the thread. I was incorrect before that the text of that post will turn red. I thought it would, but it doesn't seem to.

You must have a very wide screen if only half of your screen is covered by the forum content. What resolution are you running? Yes, the only screen settings that the forum auto-formats to the exact browser window width are the two smallest modes, mobile landscape and mobile portrait. Otherwise it does a "best fit" to one-of-4 fixed-content-width modes. The widest is essentially made for an HD display (1920x1080 reesolution), with the content itself coming in around 1400 px wide (I can confirm that later, that's just from recollection right now). Yes, the background is meant to be fuzzy and indistinguishable, and just give the slight impression that you're on a road in a forest.

The truth of the matter is that reprogramming the widest screen format (or adding an additional super wide screen mode) would probably be beyond my programming abilities (or at least it would be quite a challenge for me). I'm also not convinced that you would gain much of anything by me doing that. Pictures display fine in all of the current screen formats, and if you want to see the picture larger, I believe you can just click on it. Text in a super-wide screen format would only go further left-to-right. You wouldn't be able to fit much more posts on the screen vertically because 90% of the time, the profile on the left dictates the height of the post's cell on the screen. I do apologize that this limitation frustrates you, but I think you will find a good number of websites do have a max display width, and by making your browser wider than that, you glean no benefit. I'm also not convinced that if I worked for the next week to try to get you a wider mode that it would offer you any benefit other than maybe to make you look at a little less of the fuzzy green forest image.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Diacom » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:02 am

James,

I am using two 24" monitors, both are set up for 1920X1080. The difference I am seeing is the physical centering of the actual text boxes vs the full wide screen version of the BH4W site that I linked to before or from the older version. On the Mobile version, I only see the background at the top right below the logo, otherwise it auto correct for either orientation of my phone display.

It seems to load faster on the phone, but on the PC, it takes a moment longer to load screens.

I don't think it's frustrating so much as just plain odd on the overall format not popping to widescreen. The blur however is frustrating as it messes with the eyes with having good focus center and not on either side. Some of that may be in part to having an in-focus outdoor picture sitting right next to the blur on the other monitor. I will try and get a picture of what I have on screen now for a comparison tomorrow.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Trail X » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:58 am

I just checked, I was thinking my monitors at work were full 1080, but they are 1680x1050. So I'm not seeing exactly what you are.

I had originally liked how the blurry background gave the website a 3D feel (making it seem like the website is actually in front of the forest). But if that's too much, I can swap to a non-image - either something abstract and in-focus or just a solid color. Thoughts?

I do understand what you mean by full-width, such as on the bh4w site. You'll also find that there are a lot of websites that act like this theme does in full screen format, for instance target.com, walmart.com, yahoo.com to name a few. I'll have to take a look a this site in full screen on my computer at home, it does have a full 1080 screen. However, honestly, I find myself mainly using only half the screen most of the time with that monitor because I have so many other windows open all the time. I'm probably odd when it comes to that practice.

I'm glad it loads fast on your phone. My phone seems to take longer than my computer, but my phone is basically 3 year old technology. I notice the computer has a slight hitch the first time it loads, but otherwise should be pretty fast unless it's not cacheing the style sheets or something.
Trail X
Founder

by TBYODA » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:17 am

I don't mind the blurry image, I just find myself trying to figure out what it look like as it flashes during a load. ;)
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Moots1288 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:13 pm

TBYODA wrote:I don't mind the blurry image, I just find myself trying to figure out what it look like as it flashes during a load. ;)

I dont know how I feel about the blurry image, but I haven't had any complaints about the theme. I like it, just going to take a little bit of getting used too.
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Glad to hear Matt.
Trail X
Founder

by Cable810 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:36 pm

I found one thing I don't like so far. The Search... I found It hard to find what I was looking for...
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Trail X » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:13 pm

I agree, I noticed it the other day. Its a preset that I need to change (and I changed it on the prior theme too). The preset is to search via post, and not via topic. I just need to edit that. In the mean time, just change that setting in the advanced search options. The actual search engine is the same as before.

I also noticed that the link under the top menu for the advanced search has an incorrect link. I need to address that too.
Trail X
Founder

Previous

Return to Suggestions / News / Rules / Questions