Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Forum Speed

Tell us what you'd like to see! Plus... site information, faqs, rules, announcements, etc.
Forum rules
The forum-wide rules can be found here: http://www.offroadtb.com/about/site-rules

by localarmyman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:20 pm

same here, my secret TB research while at work came to a very dramatic and depressing stop, causing me to actually do my work, not good..
“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived.”
― George S. Patton Jr.
localarmyman
Cruiser

Name: justin harris
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:42 pm

I got it too
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trail X » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:22 am

Sorry guys, I've been looking into these issues. Seems todays issue was infact a server usage issue - since we are on a shared server, it was probably another site that bogged down the processor. However, the past issues are likely due to the mysql database, which has gotten pretty large and inefficient and triggering periodic timeouts due to high site usage. Apparently it happens a lot with larger phpbb-based forums.

I'm looking into some potential fixes. Some may be short term - minimal gain... others may be a long term thing... (something big like ortb v2).
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by mikekey » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 am

James a forum this size you might want to consider moving to VPS at this stage in the game. Shared hosting is real for smaller sites with less traffic and activity.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:10 am

If only we could afford one.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by mikekey » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:37 am

That's disappointing because inmotionhosting who you're with offers a pretty basic VPs for $29.95/mo. I've been running a DV with MediaTemple.net for about 4yrs now but that's at 55/mo and I do hosting for clients who end up paying for it. (Hope you're not confusing VPS with fully dedicated.)

Site5.com and Mediatemple both have better shared speeds than inmotion hover. Site5 actually has some good speeds on their cloud hosting.

I'm not 100% sure of the benefit of a CDN for a forum as it's been like forever in a day since I ran one. But I know that mysql queries can really pull down a shared server hard when it's dividing up all it's resources.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Previous

Return to Suggestions / News / Rules / Questions