Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

DeLorme inReach Explorer GPS Messenger

Discussion on how to enjoy the outdoors.

by DirtyBacon04 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:12 pm

Well, looks like Garmin took the idea of the SPOT messenger, GPS, and a satellite phone and mushed them together. This thing looks pretty damn nifty. Still does the same SOS, tracking, and GPS functions; but also can send/receive text messages, and post to social media. Device is $380

- Includes digital compass, barometric altimeter and accelerometer
- Includes an odometer and displays useful trip statistics while in the field, such as trip time, max speed, moving average, trip distance
- 100 hours of battery life in 10-minute tracking mode with a clear view to the sky. Extended tracking mode can extend battery life even more for long-haul trips.
- Color screen and virtual keyboard with predictive text for standalone two-way messaging
- GPS accuracy to +/- 5 meters
- Water rating: IP67 (withstands incidental water exposure; tested for submersion at one meter for 30 minutes).
- Rugged, dustproof and impact-resistant (Mil-STD-810G for shock; IP67 for dust).
- Impact-resistant (Mil-STD-810G for shock)
- Internal lithium polymer battery (2,450 mAh capacity at 3.7 V)
- SOS messages are received by GEOS, a worldwide emergency response coordination center with 24/7/365 staffing
- Weight: 6.7 ounces
- Email, SOS and tracking functions work anywhere in the world; SMS availability may vary by country.
- 100% global coverage via the Iridium satellite network, which is the world's furthest-reaching satellite communications network.
- Maintains a satellite signal lock even in difficult GPS environments and embeds precise location coordinates in sent messages.
- Pairs via Bluetooth with Apple iOS, Android, or Kindle Fire with bluetooth (smartphones and tablets)
- A contract-free (minimum 30-day commitment) or annual satellite subscription plan is required for use; plans start at $11.95 per month. See plan details.)

Extreme Communication Kit includes:
-Messenger
-Solar Panel
-Battery Pack
-Floaty pack thing for messenger

Extreme Kit costs $480

Anyone ever seen or used something like this?
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by tsmith1156 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:35 pm

Ya I used to work at a pilot shop and we carried them, they were returned ALOT but I think it could've been just because of the difficulty to use them. The customer service wasn't too terrible to deal with. I had a few come back with people saying it wouldn't send messages but then again it could have been user error
tsmith1156
Off-Roader

Name: Tyler Smith
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HawkeyeC25 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:40 pm

Dude that thing looks awesome! I never saw the point for a handheld GPS anymore since smartphones became the norm, but the ability to text with satellite and SOS capability makes me want one for offroading in remote parts of MI!!
2005 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 Lifted
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Name: Craig
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by BC backroader » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:21 am

I got my hands on these at the Abbotsford Boating and Sportsman show on Saturday, and was very impressed with the unit. I'll try to get one as my budget allows, as I'm often out of cel range in our local mountains. I can see them replacing SPOT, since they're no more expensive, and have way more features. Peace of mind in your pocket, gotta love it!
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Camping / Survival