Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

flashlights

Discussion on how to enjoy the outdoors.

by v7guy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:54 am

I've been playing with flashlights for quite a few years. I rely on them for my and my co-workers safety. For many years I just rocked the normal 2 battery maglight like everyone else, I eventually switched to the LED bulb and while it was an improvement it wasn't a huge difference.
I picked up a Fenix flashlight and can say it's pretty exceptional while being cheaper than surefire and the like. I can use it on one set of batteries for weeks (I use it nightly) and if someone is coming at you, shining it in their face almost always blinds them to the point they are "off target" in their attack/charge. There are plenty of sharp edges to defend yourself with if necessary. The strobe function also draws attention when needed and that was a high priority for me. There are still massively brighter lights, but I like this one a lot. It's been in the cold, the heat and rain with near freezing temps with no issues. It gets beat and smacked around pretty regularly. It's probably the best $95 I've spent. I would def buy again. To be honest I am curious about other lights with higher output though. What are you guys using in your truck, house and on your person?

I carry a LED maglight in my house, in my truck and carry the fenix on my person.

This is what I've been using for daily carry lately.
http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Flashlights ... _sim_sg_49

what do you guys keep around?

what kind of environments have you had them in?

do you feel they're reliable?

would you get something different?

I'm interested in the extreme but I can't justify the price
http://www.oveready.com/index.php
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by darring70 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:28 am

I like my maglite, I have 6 with led bulb in all of them, but I have the big ones with 3 "C" batteries, NJ is ilegal to carry a gun but I can use my flash light for self deffence lol
PAVED ROADS ANOTHER WAY THE GOVERNMENT WASTES MONEY

Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4233
darring70
Trail-Blazer

Name: Darring
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Blazintrails03 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:38 pm

I carry a Maglite XL50 LED in my tool pouch everyday at work and have a Maglite 3D Cell LED in my TB at all times in Maglite Clamps screwed into my rear seat bracket. The XL50 stays in my work truck. Both lights have been in freezing cold to blistering hot and haven't failed me yet.
The unofficial hat guy of ORTB viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4325

BUILD THREAD: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5377&p=106362#p106362
Blazintrails03
Trail-Blazer

Name: Bobby
Vehicle Year: 2003

by dvanbramer88 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:56 pm

My household has 4 or 5 of the 2AA maglite. We use them for hunting too. They're cheap and they work. Obviously not the brightest thing out there. I like the adjustable beam feature. We also have one of the bigger ones, I think it is a 3C model, maybe a 2D. That sits on the table right by our door. I've also used re-chargeable spot lights. Home depot sells one under their workforce brand for ~15 bucks. It is pretty bright, comes with a car and wall charger. It's battery life isn't great but it works. We keep it plugged in by the door as well. And we keep it in the truck when we are hunting.

I'm semi-looking for cheaper LED light to add to my EDC. Problem is, all the really cheap ones as POS and the cheapest "good ones" are expensive.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Blazintrails03 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:34 pm

dvanbramer88 wrote:I'm semi-looking for cheaper LED light to add to my EDC. Problem is, all the really cheap ones as POS and the cheapest "good ones" are expensive.

I'd trust my Maglite for EDC. It doesn't have the points around the lens to go after people like most people like in a light for some reason but I don't need that. Here in VA we can have concealed weapons.

Blazintrails03
Trail-Blazer

by mikekey » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:38 pm

Surefire for EDC.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike

by dvanbramer88 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:10 pm

I should have been more clear, I want a push button in the tail cap for EDC. Second choice would be switch/button on the body.

The twist on found on the small maglites makes them awkward, you need to hands. Now, a maglite is plenty reliable for EDC, I have 2 in my truck, they just don't have the features I want to carry.

We have concealed weapons here in PA too, a weapon is not the intent of the light.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

by Blazintrails03 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:36 pm

dvanbramer88 wrote:I should have been more clear, I want a push button in the tail cap for EDC. Second choice would be switch/button on the body.

The twist on found on the small maglites makes them awkward, you need to hands. Now, a maglite is plenty reliable for EDC, I have 2 in my truck, they just don't have the features I want to carry.

We have concealed weapons here in PA too, a weapon is not the intent of the light.

Oh I should've been more clear too. I would trust my Maglite XL50 for EDC. Push button bottom activation. Push once = bright, twice = dim, three times = bright strobe. A little fatter than a AA MiniMag but shorter and LED.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004JJQ3U ... -1&pi=SL75

Blazintrails03
Trail-Blazer

by dvanbramer88 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:29 pm

I like it, thanks!
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

by fishsticks » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:19 pm

mikekey wrote:Surefire for EDC.

Same. I run a G2X for EDC. Best 85 bucks I've ever spent on a flashlight.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bartonmd » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:32 pm

I used to EDC a Surefire P6 LED, but have since switched to a 5.11 L2 (LED). The Surefire was ON any time, and there's a lot of times you don't need BRIGHT in a flashlight. The L2 is also a (2) 123A flashlight, but it's 220 lumens on bright, like 10 lumens on low, and has a strobe. The cap screws all the way on, and it has a safety for when it's packed or something. Standard deal on operation... Hold it down a little bit and it comes on momentary, and down farther and it clicks and stays on. Flash the momentary once and go on, and it's on low. Flash momentary twice, and the third time it's on bright strobe. Any time it's been on, and is turned off, when you turn it back on, it always starts on bright. When you click it on once, and click again to turn it off, it turns off (no cycling through the different modes like cheap lights). The LED is apparently a CREE.

More than the operation that I like better, they're a little bit smaller in the head, and they're a lighter weight light than the P6, so they really work well in the pocket, and don't feel like carrying another full mag or anything.

They're like an $80 flashlight, I think, but I saw them at Gander Mountain for like $50 the other day. I have not looked online to see who is selling them for what. I got this for like $35 at the Grainger show, but I would (and probably will) buy another one at whatever they sell for ($50-$60).

Also has a little bit of a strike bezel.

The LED is also regulated, so it stays the same brightness for a long time, before it starts to get dim, and you know to change batteries.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products ... light.html
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by navigator » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:59 pm

with these new pricey lights, can you get replacement parts easily?
I used to have a 3D Mag light that I used often but the switch went out.
I found it hard to justify a $13 switch for a $19 light and seems like there was a special tool needed to change the switch, I don't recall.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Trail X » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:38 am

By EDC, do you mean that you guys carry flashlights on your belt everyday?

The closest thing I have is a mini mag mounted on the B pillar in the truck.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by fishsticks » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:16 pm

JamesDowning wrote:By EDC, do you mean that you guys carry flashlights on your belt everyday?

Yep. Belt or pocket. You'd be surpised how nice it it to always have a light with you.

Wallet, phone, Glock 19, extra mag, light and Leatherman walk around with me every day.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by Blazintrails03 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:57 pm

JamesDowning wrote:By EDC, do you mean that you guys carry flashlights on your belt everyday?

My EDC is in my tool pouch for work. If I need a light any other time I have the light in my TB. I have a concealed permit and I don't even carry my glock everyday. Now my knife is another story. That's always with me.

Blazintrails03
Trail-Blazer

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:25 pm

Carry a mini mag in door pocket. 6D mounted to driver rear seat. Handful of harbor freight led lights in various pockets and bags in truck.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by navigator » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:55 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:.........Handful of harbor freight led lights in various pockets and bags in truck.

I've got a few of those and they are pretty nice when they work. It seems their quality is about what you expect from CCC items.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by Conner299 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:08 am

I'm 33 now, and still have my first Mag-lite(2 cell) I got when I was 20. Two 3 cell Mag-Lites, I recently just got for free. Courtesy of U-Line and doing the ordering of shiping supplies, here at work. All three in the truck. Eneregizer brand head lamp, with white and red light functions. It was only $14, and is cheaper than a Petzl. I prefer the Energizer brand with only the one white light function. I tried the more expensive model and didnt like it. It has spot, flood, a combo of the two, and the red light function. The flood just seemed like a weaker version of the spot, and really didnt light up the periphereals, like I would've hoped. It was also push button. So, if you only needed the spot(1 push), you would have to click through the other functions, four times, to turn it off. The cheaper version, white spot and red light, is a simple slider switch. To the left turns on white, to the right turns on red, and middle position is off. Great for backpacking/camping, and working on vehicles.
I DON'T care what my GMT360 was designed to do, I care about what it can do!
Conner299
Addict

Name: Ed
Vehicle Year: 2005

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:33 am

I like the harbor freight being free. If they don't work just toss in trash. I have had good luck with them though.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by SaltWaterDrinker » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:51 am

I use the 5.11 R5. It lasts a good long while and is regulated just as Mike said. However, I hate the 5.11 holster/clip systems for it...I'm still looking for a nicer alternative.

Holster:
http://www.patriotsurplus.com/5-11-tact ... 53154.html

Light:
http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products ... Light.html
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

Name: Josh

Next

Return to Camping / Survival