Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Camping Recipes

Discussion on how to enjoy the outdoors.

by snipe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:47 pm

Well I don't know about you guys but I know when I'm hiking a trail, or doing anything physical outside I enjoy a good energy boost, and then a good meal when I get to camp! So i figure here we can all post up our favorite trail recipes we have.

Here's mine:

Peanutbutter rasin cereal bars

1/3 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Peanut Butter
2 Cups any flake cereal (I use frosted flakes for some extra sugar)
1/2 Cup rasins
1/3 Cup Slivered Almonds
1/3 Cup Chocolate Chips

1. Heat honey and brown sugar, simmer for 1 minute
2. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter
3. Add remaining ingredients (this will melt the chocolate chips. If you prefer them solid allow mixture to cool first)
4. Cover 8x8 baking dish in non-stick spray
5. Pour mixture into dish, flatten evenly
6. Freeze covered for 30+ mins
7. Remove and cut into bars

This is really quick, easy and cheap and they taste great!
snipe
Cruiser

Name: Ryan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 2WD

by djthumper » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:37 pm

Sounds good, I wonder how it would be without the brown sugar, The extra carbs I could work off but the extra sugar may make it hard. Unfortunately I have to think of these things now since I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 last year.
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by snipe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:56 pm

http://www.americandiabeteswholesale.co ... ute_84.htm

Found that. That may be at a grocery store ... possibly. You could also use normal corn flakes
snipe
Cruiser

by djthumper » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Yeah, I figured I would try it with corn flakes. I may try it without the brown sugar once to see how it is, if not that diabetic brown sugar looks interesting.
djthumper

by NC_IslandRunner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:58 am

Heart Attack Biscuits

You don't oven but you may need a defibrillator

1 can of Grands biscuits
1 stick of butter
large skillet with lid

Melt butter in pan, place biscuits in and cover, cook until bottoms are brown, flip cover and cook until other side brown and eat!

8 biscuits soak up a stick of butter, not healthy but damn good! :chef:
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by navigator » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:26 am

this is good stuff, when we camp, eating is always simple prep stuff because we usually are more interested in the activities where we are camping. I expect as we do more of it the more complex meals will come as well.
Our first trip with the kids last year we took hot dogs and link sausages that we could cook on the grill over the fire. We took pop-tarts and sandwhich fixings etc. Something quick and easy with little clean up.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by Trail X » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:06 am

When I'm out alone, I try to keep it as simple as possible. One of my go-to's is Zataran's jambalaya mix. Boil mix with water and cut sausage,... add a little beer and done! Nice high carb meal right there.

I also enjoy bratwurst links cooked in a bath of beer (Yuengling preferred) and maybe a few onions, in a hoagie toasted over the fire.

Another easy one is a big honkin steak and green beans. Boil the beans with some simple seasoning, throw the steak on a hot skillet, season with salt only after cooking.

I find my camp meals increase in complexity exponentially when the wife comes along. I mean that as a good thing. Her meals are excellent.

I'll have to get the wife to write up some of her meals... but they are all essentially home recipes made ever-so-slightly simpler (normally she will do some prep work at home, like creating her own spice mix before-hand, etc).

Here's a kabob meal she did a while back (on the old grill - anyone interested in taking it off my hands - maybe at TECORE?):

Here are two more recent examples of her work in progress (from the trip out west - newer stove in use):

Lasagna Pasta:

Chicken Fajita Pizza:

8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by snipe » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:42 am

Dang those meals look awesome! We normally just eat mres for lunch as theyre quick and easy, and a good dehydrated meal for dinner. Don't wanna have a whole bunch of extra weight in the back pack so the lighter the better!

I call dibs on the grill if I can get out there!

Thanks giving dinner

1 box of stove top stuffing
Half pound to a pound of pre cooked shredded turkey
Half cup of cranberries

Cook the stuffing, then mix in the cran berries and turkey. Done!
snipe
Cruiser

by Gordinho80 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:14 am

First camping trip was TECORE II... I was ill prepared when it came to food. My meals were almost always a cold cut sandwich of sorts. Breakfast was a bowl of cereal.

Last trip was with a small group of friends, no offroading, just camping. The women in the group went above and beyond when it came to food for this trip; grilled chicken with macaroni and cheese on the side, sirloin steaks... and one thing that was actually super easy to prep before the trip, and super quick to cook.. Hobo Stew.

I think I'll be more prepared for TECORE 6 thanks to this last trip... and this thread.

Here's the recipe we used for the Hobo Stew...

Ingredients:
ground beef or stew meat cut into small pieces
vegetables of your choosing - corn, green beans, carrots, onions, bell peppers
garlic
butter
salt and pepper, to taste

Preparation:
Tear off a piece of aluminum foil large enough to fold into a pocket to put your ingredients into.

Spray the foil with cooking spray. Add meat first, then vegetables. Top with seasonings and then butter. Close foil on all sides, leaving some room for steam to build. Be sure to mark your packet so it doesn't get mixed up with anyone else's.

Put packet into the coals. Cooking time depends on how hot your fire is. I recommend checking in about 10 minutes.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by navigator » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:33 am

your hobo stew sounds like something a scout leader taught the kids to make when my son was in scouts.
I think he called it a hobo-shaker or something.
you basically made a hamburger patty, put some onions, mushrooms, peppers, potatoes, carrots etc on top and wrapped in foil and tossed on coals.

Another thing I learned that trip is you can mix some omelet fixings in a zip lock and drop them in a pot of boiling water, it will cook it all in the bag and you can eat it right out of the bag with little clean up. You just have to be careful not to let the bag touch the side of the pot for very long.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by yalchga » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:44 am

This is about as complex as mine get. I like going over the fire with whatever i cook just seems to taste sooooo much better. This was elk fajitas with corn and potatoes . If you look for em theres some amazing jalapeno beans in a can that has become a must have for any hunting/camping trip. Honestly i dont think i have ever been "camping " its always for a reason hunt or fishing. I also always try to eat wild game very rarely take store bought meat idk why just seems like thats how it should be.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1330011698349.jpg
yalchga

Name: Gabe
Vehicle Year: 2007

by djthumper » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:59 pm

navigator wrote:your hobo stew sounds like something a scout leader taught the kids to make when my son was in scouts.
I think he called it a hobo-shaker or something.
you basically made a hamburger patty, put some onions, mushrooms, peppers, potatoes, carrots etc on top and wrapped in foil and tossed on coals.

Another thing I learned that trip is you can mix some omelet fixings in a zip lock and drop them in a pot of boiling water, it will cook it all in the bag and you can eat it right out of the bag with little clean up. You just have to be careful not to let the bag touch the side of the pot for very long.

In scouts we called it a foil dinner or hobo dinner. You can basically put what ever you want in there, just don't make it too big or you will burn the outside and the inside will be cold or raw. If you want a barrier to help keep from burning the main meal you could put the onions on top and bottom against the foil. You will still have the flavoring of the onion but can get rid of what is burned.

For the zip lock omelets we always tell them to use freezer bags since they are thicker.

In scouts we do a lot of dutch oven cooking as well so it is fairly limitless to what you can have on a camp out.
djthumper

by navigator » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:10 pm

you're right Larry, it was the freezer bags and not the cheap ones either.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Great topic.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by NC_IslandRunner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Breakfast tacos

Eggs
1 lbs Chorizo
1 Onion
1 Can black beans
2 Tbls olive oil
shredded cheddar cheese
Flour tortillas

Cook onions in oil, add chorizo cook until done, add black beans and mix until evenly heated, set aside.

Scramble eggs

Place eggs and chorizo mixture on tortillas with cheese and enjoy, made these at Country Fried Weekend last month and they are great.
Not my recipe, found it on a link on ExPo, Living Overland I think.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004

by navigator » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:14 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Great topic.

:Iagree: I'm always up for talking food!
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by snipe » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:34 pm

I looked and didnt see one of the most important topics of the trail so i had to make the thread!
snipe
Cruiser

by RICHIET » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:41 pm

djthumper wrote:
navigator wrote:In scouts we do a lot of dutch oven cooking as well so it is fairly limitless to what you can have on a camp out.

Your right about the dutch oven. In our troop we use it for everything from stews to cornbread, to apple cobblers. I've even thrown some paving stones in my driveway to cook up some ribs at home.
RICHIET
Cruiser

Name: Richie
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by Trail X » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:35 pm

My wife is falling in love with the dutch. Seems like it would be a good fire-cooker, but the bulk is a bit annoying to pack. She wanted to take it on the big trip with us, but I felt it was too heavy, plus we just didn't have the room.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by RICHIET » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:35 pm

JamesDowning wrote:My wife is falling in love with the dutch. Seems like it would be a good fire-cooker, but the bulk is a bit annoying to pack. She wanted to take it on the big trip with us, but I felt it was too heavy, plus we just didn't have the room.

That's why I had to get the EXT!!! Scouts and gear.
RICHIET
Cruiser

Name: Richie
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

Next

Return to Camping / Survival