Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

survival weapons and mounting

Discussion on how to enjoy the outdoors.

by LordBear » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:39 am

seems like there should be a spot for this... im kinda shopping around right now for a survival type rifle..but got to take care of a couple other things first. was also debating on where depending on what i get ...on where to mount it. maybe converting one of the side boxes in to a lock box or soemthing. there is also the tub in the floor..i got my amp in there but there is still room.. any who..just a thought and curious if any others have done soemthing.
LordBear

Name: Bear
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by navigator » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:28 am

are you talking about you are stuck in the woods and you need a rifle to survive or are you talking about a vehicle security type thing?
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by DirtyBacon04 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:40 am

pistol stays on my person at all times...
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trail X » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:00 am

navigator wrote:are you talking about you are stuck in the woods and you need a rifle to survive or are you talking about a vehicle security type thing?

Since this is a "survival" section, and he's storing it in the rear tub, I'm guessing he's not talking about vehicle security.

This may sound funny, but air rifles work well for short-term survival in the woods. High capacity, minimal noise, if you have to, dig out a pellet from your kill and reuse it.

It won't take down a deer, but in survival mode, you don't need a deer. And honestly, unless you're surviving in an extremely remote region, you most likely won't even REQUIRE food before you find assistance.

Now, if you're talking post-apocalypse survival, the game changes drastically.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Gordinho80 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:18 am

JamesDowning wrote:Now, if you're talking post-apocalypse survival, the game changes drastically.

What ever happened to Zombie Killer???????
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by fishsticks » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:17 pm

I've been looking at these for awhile... almost bought one two weeks ago at the gun show.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details ... umbseries=

11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by LordBear » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:07 pm

both... survival is survival... hunting, protection,etc.... just curious how if any are set up.

was thinking of something like this... it comes in a couple of different varieints and accepts clips from other 9mm guns. which kinda saves on ammo since i have another 9mm.. plus they do got a bunch of accesories as well.
LordBear

Name: Bear

by dvanbramer88 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:23 pm

I have that rossi matched pair. You were looking at the trifecta? The matched pair (.22 and .410) folds up into a nice small case. Its a good gun, the 22 is accurate with the iron sights, Id recommend it.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

by fishsticks » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:45 pm

dvanbramer88 wrote:I have that rossi matched pair. You were looking at the trifecta? The matched pair (.22 and .410) folds up into a nice small case. Its a good gun, the 22 is accurate with the iron sights, Id recommend it.

They had the trifecta and the .22/.410 version. I liked the idea of a shotgun as well as a rifle round for taking down something a bit larger. I also have very little experience with the .410 round.

Do you think it would fit in the rear lower storage compartment if broken down?
fishsticks

by navigator » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:55 am

a .410 will flat kill a squirrel/rabbit but I doubt I could hit a flying bird.
We have a little single shot .410 that I bought my son when he was smaller, I had to cut the stock down to fit him. We took the boys from church on a canoe/camping trip one summer and I carried it along for snakes.
We saw a squirrel on the river bank and one of the "counselors" said for me to shoot it and we could roast it on the camp fire. I was just goofing off, I ended up shooting it left handed from a pretty good distance shooting kind of behind me. I was surprised I hit it......then realizing that was really a great influence on those guys shooting something like that out of season! I normally follow all game laws to a T.

you can buy slugs and buckshot (with 3 pellets) for them as well.

I've only found .410 shells in high brass. You can get small shot for a 20ga in low brass which is usually cheaper if that matters to you.

I've taken several deer with a .243.
It seems when I shot them with a 100gr bullet there was no exit hole but with the 80gr there was. It seems like a good little option to have for that type of situation.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:57 am

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-survival-ar7.cfm

I am planning to pick up one of these soon.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by rjpoog1989 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:51 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-survival-ar7.cfm

I am planning to pick up one of these soon.

Henry makes a hell of a rifle, very dependable and the price is right. I have a Henry lever action .22 and love it!
Ryan

Rule #76: "No excuses, play like a champion"
rjpoog1989
Off-Roader

Name: Ryan Papuga

by RICHIET » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:18 pm

There's a lot of variables in potential survival situations, your particular area, how far off the main routes you are, potential dangers in your area, local laws, etc. .22's, 410's, and single shots might be all you need in your situation 99% of the time, until you need more. I believe in bring enough gun. A 12 gauge pump with different shells like, slugs,7 1/2's, 4 or 6's, and buckshot will handle everything from small game, big game, and four or two legged predators. You could add a folding stock to an 18" barrel for a relatively compact gun (where legal.) My Browning over/under 12 G broken down in its case is smaller still, even with a 26" barrel. That said, the best gun is the one you have with you.
RICHIET
Cruiser

Name: Richie
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by fishsticks » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:36 pm

RICHIET wrote:There's a lot of variables in potential survival situations, your particular area, how far off the main routes you are, potential dangers in your area, local laws, etc. .22's, 410's, and single shots might be all you need in your situation 99% of the time, until you need more. I believe in bring enough gun. A 12 gauge pump with different shells like, slugs,7 1/2's, 4 or 6's, and buckshot will handle everything from small game, big game, and four or two legged predators. You could add a folding stock to an 18" barrel for a relatively compact gun (where legal.) My Browning over/under 12 G broken down in its case is smaller still, even with a 26" barrel. That said, the best gun is the one you have with you.

I understand where you're coming from, and in a perfect scenario I'd have my whole collection with me if I was out. I think what people are looking for here is a "truck gun". I know that's what I'm after. Something always in the truck that you have on hand if you're unexpectedly stuck somewhere. I could separate the upper and lower on my AR15 and stick it in the truck, but I'm not going to.

What if I'm already dead/incapacitated? My wife is 120lbs and can't handle a 12 gauge. I can put a .22 in her hands and she can kill things with it... so could my 10 year old daughter. If I could figure out a way to break it down easily, I'd stick my 10/22 in the truck. It's stupid simple to use, and .22LR or not, 25 rounds will give whatever is after you something to think about.

That Henry looks like a real winner. I may have to check it out.
fishsticks

by RICHIET » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:37 pm

I agree Fishsticks. There's no one size fits all perfect answer. I usually go out with my 19 year old son who can handle anything I can. You have different variables to consider with a young daughter and small wife. I also drive into New York City a lot and with nanny state bloomberg in charge, I have to be very careful about leaving anything in my truck. I thought about breaking down one of my ar's, too. Easy enough to do, and with so little recoil and cheap ammo available, would be good for smaller bodies. the rugers a good gun,too. Plenty of 10/22 after market stuff available, I believe you could get a folding stock for it if you wanted to go that route.
RICHIET
Cruiser

Name: Richie
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by navigator » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:23 am

with the AR, that .223 round is actually not a bad idea.
it will handle most any predator except maybe a big bear.
it can kill a deer
and I expect if you shoot a squirrel or bird it won't completely blow it to pieces like a larger rifle would.
Ammo is cheap.

The biggest thing to me is the guns aren't cheap.
I think the .22 is another good all around gun.
My Ruger 10/22 is short enough you could stick it most anywhere.
I've killed deer with the .22 and like Donny said someone starts throwing 20rds at you and you aren't going to stick around and anyone can shoot it.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by dvanbramer88 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:20 am

fishsticks wrote:
dvanbramer88 wrote:I have that rossi matched pair. You were looking at the trifecta? The matched pair (.22 and .410) folds up into a nice small case. Its a good gun, the 22 is accurate with the iron sights, Id recommend it.

They had the trifecta and the .22/.410 version. I liked the idea of a shotgun as well as a rifle round for taking down something a bit larger. I also have very little experience with the .410 round.

Do you think it would fit in the rear lower storage compartment if broken down?

Im not entirely sure. I would imagine so. If i member correctly the size of the compartment than yes. The .410 slugs are very lethal indeed, I've killed deer with them. They're as good as a rifle bullet of the same caliber at reasonable distances. Bird shot isnt that great out of them, it's difficult to hit clay pigeons with it, but as far as a stationary bird it would be easier.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

by Philberto » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:26 pm

Check out the kel-tec su16... Foldable .223, reasonably heavy barrel, magazines store in the stock, and the foregrip opens up into a bipod that works, even if it's not the most rugged thing in the world...

Image Image

My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by lil_freak_66 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:30 am

Id go with a Kel Tec sub 2000(someone posted a pic above)

Preferably 9mm, one that takes Glock mags. then carry a Glock 17 or 19 as well, same round, same magazines.

perfect for survival, if the British, French or Canadians Invade us, you only need to find one type of ammo and magazine, both of which are extremely common.

and if your in a survival type situation, if one of the guns for some reason becomes inoperable, you dont have any useless ammo and mags since they are interchangable

with some +p ammo, 9mm would be fine for up to whitetail, would work on small elk too. plus its not super over powered, so small game would still be usable after being shot.and it also works great for any drug smugglers or other nefarious criminals you might have cross your path.

a folded Kel Tec and a few hundred rounds in magazines could easily be stored in a regular school sized backpack with some decent survival gear, a camelbak, small medical kit, personal locator beacon, food and whatever else you'd deem required..i know quite a few people that do that setup with kel tec + glock
Michigan Search & Rescue.
SARTECH III
lil_freak_66
Trail-Blazer

Name: Tyler

by Mudwheelin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:37 pm

lil_freak_66 wrote:Id go with a Kel Tec sub 2000(someone posted a pic above)

Preferably 9mm, one that takes Glock mags. then carry a Glock 17 or 19 as well, same round, same magazines.

perfect for survival, if the British, French or Canadians Invade us, you only need to find one type of ammo and magazine, both of which are extremely common.

and if your in a survival type situation, if one of the guns for some reason becomes inoperable, you dont have any useless ammo and mags since they are interchangable

with some +p ammo, 9mm would be fine for up to whitetail, would work on small elk too. plus its not super over powered, so small game would still be usable after being shot.and it also works great for any drug smugglers or other nefarious criminals you might have cross your path.

a folded Kel Tec and a few hundred rounds in magazines could easily be stored in a regular school sized backpack with some decent survival gear, a camelbak, small medical kit, personal locator beacon, food and whatever else you'd deem required..i know quite a few people that do that setup with kel tec + glock

I don't think we Canadians are going to invade you lol! Yet.... When I go camping out in the bush I usually bring my 7mm and a good ole 12guage. I have a gun case attached to the quad so I guess that's where I mount it. I'd have a gun rack built in the tb if we were aloud to display them haha.
Markmc 2.5 lift, 2"Markmc body lift. Markmc 1.5 spacers, 33" Dynapro MT's, exhaust, EMT cams, CAI, Chipped, Light Bar. T.L. Guards
Build Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2349
Mudwheelin
Trail-Blazer

Name: Christian
Vehicle Year: 2007

Next

Return to Camping / Survival