Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

survival weapons and mounting

Discussion on how to enjoy the outdoors.

by Bigbadbowtie088 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:04 am

I bought this bone stock, It is Law enforcement restricted model.. but there are lots of other great AR's out there that are civilian legal.
My goal was to build it to be multi-use rifle, I think that I have accomplished that.

My Glock 23 which is a .40 compact stays on me all the time, and if I can't take it in someplace with me It stays either in my glove box or my pistol safe I bolted onto my sub box, which is then bolted to the frame of the truck.

Cheaper than dirt has a survival rifle that stores... I believe completely in the butt stock. I believe it's bout $150

I'll see about getting some better pics, not only of my guns but my survival stuff and what I keep in the truck everyday.
Bigbadbowtie088
RIP

Name: Brandon Walker
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 2WD

by RICHIET » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:28 pm

If you're looking for something to leave in the truck and you live where there's a big swing in temperature and humidity, you have to be careful about leaving a wood stock on your gun. Your stock could wind up swelling or shrinking, cracking, or warping. Your point of aim would probably be off, and if it swells or warps enough, it could create enough pressure to bind up the action. They make synthetic replacement stocks for a variety of guns like the ruger 10/22, sks,and others. If your gun has a wood stock, see if a synthetic is available. It's cheaper than buying a new gun.
RICHIET
Cruiser

Name: Richie
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by DoubleDTB » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:36 pm

The best bet to go with is at least for me is the 7.62x39 SKS rugged dependable cheap and iv fired mine with mud and snow covering it and Im talking mud in the mag and bore but there is no replacing a 12ga pump
DoubleDTB

Name: Dave D
Vehicle Year: 2006

by dvanbramer88 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:27 pm

DoubleDTB wrote:The best bet to go with is at least for me is the 7.62x39 SKS rugged dependable cheap and iv fired mine with mud and snow covering it and Im talking mud in the mag and bore but there is no replacing a 12ga pump

:Iagree: There is zero substitutes for a 12ga pump gun and it's amazing reliability. Even with broken parts you can still fire single shot manually loading the next shell. You literally need to break the firing pin to stop it from firing.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD

by JCrayton99 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:52 am

Im a big fan of my SKS. I have abused it just to see what it can take. And (Im not sure about the wood stock, didnt have it on it when I bought it) but with the Tapco stock I have on it, it kicks less than a .22 or a .17. Its a gun I would feel comfortable having anyone Im with being able to shoot it.
JCrayton99
Trail-Blazer

Name: John Crayton
Vehicle Year: 2004

by navigator » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:59 am

I worked for a sporting good store while in HS and college.
I almost bought an SKS back when they were like $70 but my boss talked me out of it..... :facepalm:
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by v7guy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:35 pm

The 12ga will protect you from any predator and the .22 is great for small game and is accurate enough that anyone could feed themselves with it. SHTF is a whole other ball game. I'd be pretty comfortable with one of my 870s and a 10/22.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by navigator » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Jason, I agree with you on the 12ga and the .22.
I just got to thinking about your SHTF scenario, I think I want something that can hit things further away than the 12ga.
Also, a large amount of 12ga ammo is bulky.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by OregTrailBlazin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:28 pm

Love my SKS, but a little bulky and heavy to have as a vehical mounted survival gun... SHTF gun for sure!! But not something I would put in the back and leave there. I generally have my Walther G22 Bull pup in my truck. Its small, and fits under the seat well.
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz

by DoubleDTB » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:20 pm

Just having a second thought but if you are going out back packing you may want to carry something small like a handgun nothing less than a 380 or 9mm i like both for small game but feel 45acp or 357 is better for a utility use 10mm or 40 are hot rounds but i just dont feel like ammo is cost effective and they are mostly hard to find parts for plus the1911 is just so bad ass and i carry mine every chance i can i dont get to carry mine at work
DoubleDTB

Name: Dave D

by hobbstisdaman » Mon May 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Bigbadbowtie088 wrote:I bought this bone stock, It is Law enforcement restricted model.. but there are lots of other great AR's out there that are civilian legal.
My goal was to build it to be multi-use rifle, I think that I have accomplished that.

What do you mean "law enforcement restricted".
Shoot, Move, Communicate. Build Thread
hobbstisdaman
Trail-Blazer

Name: Grant
Vehicle Year: 2007

by Saxis » Mon May 07, 2012 5:53 pm

My survival weapon and mounting, when it's not in it's case... :viking:

Saxis
Trail-Blazer

Name: Jesse
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Blazintrails03 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:42 pm

Gotta love my glock 19. Reliable and if I need to I could fire that thing in the dark. Gotta love tritium night sights. Want a little more distance I can pop the mag out and slap it in my JR Carbine (or one of my glock 33 round mags). Now for the rabbits and squirrels I have a 10/22 with a hogue overmolded stock and a BSA Sweet 22 scope

Now for the truth of this thread. You can listen to everyone here for advice but the fact is find something you like and even more important are comfortable with
The unofficial hat guy of ORTB viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4325

BUILD THREAD: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5377&p=106362#p106362
Blazintrails03
Trail-Blazer

Name: Bobby
Vehicle Year: 2003

by fishsticks » Tue May 08, 2012 11:06 am

hobbstisdaman wrote:
Bigbadbowtie088 wrote:I bought this bone stock, It is Law enforcement restricted model.. but there are lots of other great AR's out there that are civilian legal.

He must have some stuff from the ban era and be reading the sides. My AR's lower and some of my mags still say Mil and LE only.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by OregTrailBlazin » Wed May 09, 2012 2:00 pm

I've wondered it there was an actual difference. I'm working on my buddies Colt AR that has military and law enforcement use only all over the side, and its brand new (He's a Sheriff). Even his Eotech says military use only. Is there any real difference, I imagine the lower can be converted to FA, but that shouldn't make it Military only. ...maybe Mike knows :poke:
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz

by hobbstisdaman » Wed May 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Most lower receivers can be converted to FA. When he say restricted for LA is probably means that it was purchased through a provider with Law enforcement credentials and may have infared designations/ capabilities
hobbstisdaman
Trail-Blazer

by cbbryan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:51 pm

I have some buddies that work at a Class III/ VII dealer a they say you can have either a full auto trigger group or bolt as a civilian but not both unless it is pre-ban which I doubt we can afford.
cbbryan
Trail-Blazer

by TangoBravo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:06 pm

hobbstisdaman wrote:

All the AR's at my gun shop say LE only but in this state it doesn't matter civilians aren't restricted from purchasing these guns. I have two, it's the same with afew others they have as well. But then we can own Ak's, Ar's, SkS, semi auto 50cal anything. Perks of living in Wyoming especially since you don't need a permit to carry open or concealed.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert

by scottp8113 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:14 am

with the exception of state restrictions, it doesn't matter if the rifle says "law enforcement restricted" on the side. The only federal restrictions are autos, sbr's and sbs's. The lettering on the side has as much legal weight as an optic on top.
scottp8113

Name: Scott

by hobbstisdaman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:09 pm

navigator wrote:with the AR, that .223 round is actually not a bad idea.
it will handle most any predator except maybe a big bear.

You have 30 Rounds... If you can't kill it with that you have a bigger problem.

I used .243 to kill deer when I was a kid too.
hobbstisdaman
Trail-Blazer

PreviousNext

Return to Camping / Survival