Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Bug-out Vehicle - supplies, checklists, planning

Discussion on how to enjoy the outdoors.

by fishsticks » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:43 pm

bartonmd wrote:Prices are getting pretty low... I don't even have anything that runs 7.62x39, and I've thought about getting a case...

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm? ... 18|830|852

$200/k

Next month is the big gun/knife show just across the river from me. I usually get my ammo there. This was a much smaller show at our local fairgrounds. I was just plum OUT, which is a feeling I don't like.

$.20/cartridge is pretty cheap though. I wonder what shipping is like.

I found a couple potential uppers for my AR project as well... but wasn't willing to spend $400 today.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by lil_freak_66 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:06 pm

cheaper than dirt has 7.62x54R(generally used in the very cheap mosin nagants) in 440 round tins for less than $100 for anybody that is interested in alot of bug out ammo..200 bucks could get you 440 rounds and a rifle that is very reliable
Michigan Search & Rescue.
SARTECH III
lil_freak_66
Trail-Blazer

Name: Tyler
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by jpfeffer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:05 pm

This might just be a crazy idea here, but I just read all 6 pages of this thread, and it seems like above all else, everyone here is trying to argue for, understand, and create a list of items needed for a survival kit in various situations. I think the title pretty much covers that. We’ve linked to websites, read blogs, other forums, product reviews, and sales pitches for survival equipment and this has all helped us form opinions on what should be in our personal bug out bags or vehicles. But here’s where it gets crazy:

What if we planned a meet involving all of these ideas and put them to the test so-to-speak? Everything I’m about to say is riding on the assumption that we’re all as interested in what to have in emergency bug out kits as 6 pages of posts would lead me to believe.

What if we all put these kits to the test and had a weekend long “competition” (or more) to see how well they each hold up. If we could find property to use, we could:

- Have everyone live off of his or her own supplies for a set amount of time (2-5 days?)
- Driving competition through terrain chosen by the planners
- Shooting competition to simulate survival tactics, hunting, etc.
- Judging of each rig/kit by mods. or event attendees on its effectiveness
- Various competitions or trials to put the kits to the test (“What if?” scenarios)

I just think that if we put these to the test, that would speak more to their effectiveness than one opinion against another, and it would help to finalize some of the lists we’ve come up with. People would be able to explain the “whys” of their own kits, and by reporting back on the competition with writing, photos, and videos, it would allow ORTB to be a source of information for more off-roaders than just us TB fans.

I’m afraid to post this, because I’m afraid of being banned to the OS, but right now it’s opinion vs. opinion, whereas something like I’ve proposed would give us a “well, look at what happened at the ORTB Survival Competition, that tool proved to be useless/useful/a lifesaver”. I know it would help me make up my mind on what to take with me on trips, be it simple off-roading, weekend camping trips, week long expeditions, or bug out situations.

Again, I’m prepared for flaming. Maybe pictures and stories from other trips are good enough for deciding what to bring or what not to bring. What I’ve proposed is also difficult to plan (supervision for firearms, safety, medical, etc., food stocked for bug out kits that don’t last, and so on and so forth). But even so, it could be a valuable tool for teaching survival skills to people who don’t have much experience in that area, deciding what would be good to have and what’s a waste in bug out kits, and more. Sorry if this is a dumb idea in everyone else’s eyes. Mods can delete if so. But does anyone else see a good teaching/learning/exploration opportunity in something like this?
2002 Trailblazer LTZ
Constant Work in Progress
jpfeffer
Cruiser

Name: Josh Pfeffer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by fishsticks » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:08 pm

I wouldn't worry about flames...it's a neat idea. Hard to organize effectively....but a neat idea.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by bgwolfpack » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:19 pm

jpfeffer wrote:This might just be a crazy idea here, but I just read all 6 pages of this thread, and it seems like above all else, everyone here is trying to argue for, understand, and create a list of items needed for a survival kit in various situations. I think the title pretty much covers that. We’ve linked to websites, read blogs, other forums, product reviews, and sales pitches for survival equipment and this has all helped us form opinions on what should be in our personal bug out bags or vehicles. But here’s where it gets crazy:

What if we planned a meet involving all of these ideas and put them to the test so-to-speak? Everything I’m about to say is riding on the assumption that we’re all as interested in what to have in emergency bug out kits as 6 pages of posts would lead me to believe.

What if we all put these kits to the test and had a weekend long “competition” (or more) to see how well they each hold up. If we could find property to use, we could:

- Have everyone live off of his or her own supplies for a set amount of time (2-5 days?)
- Driving competition through terrain chosen by the planners
- Shooting competition to simulate survival tactics, hunting, etc.
- Judging of each rig/kit by mods. or event attendees on its effectiveness
- Various competitions or trials to put the kits to the test (“What if?” scenarios)

I just think that if we put these to the test, that would speak more to their effectiveness than one opinion against another, and it would help to finalize some of the lists we’ve come up with. People would be able to explain the “whys” of their own kits, and by reporting back on the competition with writing, photos, and videos, it would allow ORTB to be a source of information for more off-roaders than just us TB fans.

I’m afraid to post this, because I’m afraid of being banned to the OS, but right now it’s opinion vs. opinion, whereas something like I’ve proposed would give us a “well, look at what happened at the ORTB Survival Competition, that tool proved to be useless/useful/a lifesaver”. I know it would help me make up my mind on what to take with me on trips, be it simple off-roading, weekend camping trips, week long expeditions, or bug out situations.

Again, I’m prepared for flaming. Maybe pictures and stories from other trips are good enough for deciding what to bring or what not to bring. What I’ve proposed is also difficult to plan (supervision for firearms, safety, medical, etc., food stocked for bug out kits that don’t last, and so on and so forth). But even so, it could be a valuable tool for teaching survival skills to people who don’t have much experience in that area, deciding what would be good to have and what’s a waste in bug out kits, and more. Sorry if this is a dumb idea in everyone else’s eyes. Mods can delete if so. But does anyone else see a good teaching/learning/exploration opportunity in something like this?
Great idea!Sounds like fun!

You go first!

As for having everything we might need…never happen.

As for living off the truck for five days. I can leave right after filling up. No problem.

Oh, you put that much time and thought into a post and you're not allowed to go back to the OS. :cheers:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by Trail X » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:25 pm

I think it would be really difficult to get everyone together in one place. However a cool concept.

I'd like to try living out of the truck for a week, but the other half isn't so interested, so our plan will be more like... camp - hotel - camp - hotel - camp - hotel hotel hotel.... :) :happy whip:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by jpfeffer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:38 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:Oh, you put that much time and thought into a post and you're not allowed to go back to the OS. :cheers:

:woot:
JamesDowning wrote:I think it would be really difficult to get everyone together in one place.

Yeah, I started to realize that after I posted when I began looking at everyones location. James, a Kentucky/Indiana/Ohio meet would be pretty central for what I've seen of the eastern crowd, but Fishsticks and BGWolfpack are all the way in Washington, and even if you went for a central location for everyone, it's almost a 24 hour trip for each of you to make it to the Midwest. That starts to be a survival challenge in and of itself. :lol: But hey, we plan events like TECORE, so maybe someday "The Challenge" could be a reality!
2002 Trailblazer LTZ
Constant Work in Progress
jpfeffer
Cruiser

Name: Josh Pfeffer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bgwolfpack » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:40 pm

JamesDowning wrote: ...the other half isn't so interested, so our plan will be more like... camp - hotel - camp - hotel - camp - hotel hotel hotel.... :) :happy whip:
I've got one of those too!

Let me add this; My "Bug-out-plan" is not for a week, it's for 2-6 month's or longer. I'm not there yet but with a trailer I'll be there. :thumleft:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by BSalty » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:13 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:Let me add this; My "Bug-out-plan" is not for a week, it's for 2-6 month's or longer. I'm not there yet but with a trailer I'll be there. :thumleft:

Same here. I have actually been searching for trailers to fit my needs most of today. And two times every summer I live out of my TB (Without the travel trailer) for 5 days in wilderness with my wife and 3 kids on one of those trips. So I know my kit works for that long. But with the "off road" trailer we can easily go longer. I am looking at building a trailer it looks like. Nobody makes what I am looking to do.

I also do a couple of hunting trips with my buddy every year for a week with just a tent and the supplies we can fit in the TB. No problems there so far either. And that was when it was stock. I can haul a lot more with the Z71s.
BSalty
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brandon
Vehicle Year: 2003

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:45 pm

A buddy and I spent two weeks living out of a truck on an airboat launch ramp in the everglades. Doesn't take nearly as much as you think to survive pretty comfy.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by OregTrailBlazin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:40 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote: Doesn't take nearly as much as you think to survive pretty comfy.

:Iagree: .. I've done 10 days out of a rig, its easy.. I've also done two weeks out of a backpack. Not as easy, but once you get past the first few days, it gets better. We have allot of high mountain steams up here to gilster water from,and Tons of critters to munch on.. I imagine other places wouldn't be as easy to do so!
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Flying Monkey » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Ive done 15 days in the cab of a PLS truck in Afghanistan and multiple 9-10 day runs...does that count? :lol:
Flying Monkey
Addict

Name: Chris

by mikepeters1983 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:34 pm

Flying Monkey wrote:Ive done 15 days in the cab of a PLS truck in Afghanistan and multiple 9-10 day runs...does that count? :lol:

15 days thats it? I done up to 30 on the road but I was in Iraq lol
I REFUSE TO TIP TOE THROUGH LIFE TO ARRIVE SAFELY AT DEATH!!!
mikepeters1983
Trail-Blazer

Name: Mike
Vehicle: GMC Envoy XUV
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by Flying Monkey » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:39 pm

mikepeters1983 wrote:
Flying Monkey wrote:Ive done 15 days in the cab of a PLS truck in Afghanistan and multiple 9-10 day runs...does that count? :lol:

15 days thats it? I done up to 30 on the road but I was in Iraq lol

Yeah longest run I did was 15. most were 9-10. All that time in the cab of a PLS drives ya mad around day 6 though lol.
Flying Monkey
Addict

by damien » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Never done them overseas but i completed 45 day excercises supporting combat commanders courses in the wrecker, we come up with some pretty interesting vehicle repairs and living accommodations during those field trips.
damien
Cruiser

Name: Gordon Smith
Vehicle Year: 2007

by Flying Monkey » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:27 pm

damien wrote:Never done them overseas but i completed 45 day excercises supporting combat commanders courses in the wrecker, we come up with some pretty interesting vehicle repairs and living accommodations during those field trips.

Yeah I did 3 30 day deals a year in Germany as a field artillery mechanic. But I drove a 5ton with a wood box build up on the back so wasnt totally roughing it. Plus we would do "parts runs" and get showers :lol:.
Flying Monkey
Addict

by mikepeters1983 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:48 pm

I was in a 5-ton, or Hummer for mine, I will say this though, Sleeping on 10 honeycombs or tank ammo, and on the taker of a PLS full of fuel is a whole different story lol
I REFUSE TO TIP TOE THROUGH LIFE TO ARRIVE SAFELY AT DEATH!!!
mikepeters1983
Trail-Blazer

Name: Mike
Vehicle: GMC Envoy XUV
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by damien » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:03 pm

yeah i found out that the crossover bin lined with the components of the spill-kit makes a half decent cot , plus its dark all the time in there for those "when in doubt rack out moments"
damien
Cruiser

Name: Gordon Smith
Vehicle Year: 2007

by Flying Monkey » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:26 pm

bunch of us bought cheap hamocks and stung them between vehicles or between truck and trailer in a pinch. Between truck and trailer sucked cause it wasnt far enough apart and you ended up folded in half.....but you were off the ground so no cuddle buddies
Flying Monkey
Addict

by dvanbramer88 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:09 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:The biggest downfall for the platform is the electronics and sensors. You need to carry extra electronics. I just picked up an extra PCM. I will hopefully be able to get back to the Suburban for real Bug Out duty. It has minimal electronics, but I dont keep it here in Indy, so without extra electronics for the TB I will be using the Bag to get to it.

The suburban is a great American tank of a truck! great for running over zombies!
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Camping / Survival