Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Bug-out Vehicle - supplies, checklists, planning

Discussion on how to enjoy the outdoors.

by Philberto » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:08 pm

I'm seriously looking into getting MREs from the internet, but you have to watch out to make sure they're genuine military ones. As an alternative, check out gun shows and surplus auctions. They often carry them, among other things. Another alternative is of course canned food (chili and rice, or chef boyardee). Anything with amino acids or a complete protein and sufficient vitamins.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bgwolfpack » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:25 pm

Philberto what did you end up finding and purchasing for MREs? Do you have a site link?
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by Philberto » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:53 pm

I have not yet purchased any MREs... Financial situation notwithstanding, I also haven't made it to any of the recent gunshows in the area, which is where I plan to do my purchasing, since I don't like paying for shipping. There's a site that has a ton of information that I used for my personal research into the matter, and I highly recommend it. You can find it here.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by lil_freak_66 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:26 pm

check www.imsplus.com

i find everything ive needed so far there.

4 season tents,cold weather clothing and sleeping bags,survival gear.

mres.you name it.
Michigan Search & Rescue.
SARTECH III
lil_freak_66
Trail-Blazer

Name: Tyler
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by cbbryan » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:31 pm

cheaperthandirt.com has some from varying manufactures
cbbryan
Trail-Blazer

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2005

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:27 pm

cbbryan wrote:cheaperthandirt.com has some from varying manufactures

There is discussion on my gun forum about CTD sharing your information, both personal and financial. Be careful of them.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by lil_freak_66 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:56 pm

ive never had ctd share my information,that im aware of at least.

and ive bought everything from gun parts for the 870 and 10/22 and various survival items for my winter camping/survival/wilderness bugout bag,along with a half dozen other things.

as for the site i mentioned,imsplus.com,ive bought mre's,camo clothing,cannon fuse,para cord and various other things,and they've never shared information to my knowledge either.
SARTECH III
lil_freak_66
Trail-Blazer

by madmanvillain » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:54 am

i think this is a thread that should be kept up...ever evolving as we learn new things...

heres my list as of right now...in the planning stages of making a bug out trailer:

first aid kit
lights
ammo 7.62x39, 12 ga
water 5 gal
gas 5 gal
white gas 1 gal
colman stove
tp
sanitizer
soap
flare gun
air horn
glow sticks
pots and pans
utensils
sm table
camp chairs 2
water purification
tent 2 person
hammock
sleeping bags
power inverter
air compressor
fire starters
maps ny, adk, country
gps
solar panels
axe
machete
multitool
fixed blade
simple food
honey
handheld cb
batteries

this trailer is going to be used 99.9% of the time as a camping trailer...and hopefully never used that last 0.1% of the time as a bug out trailer...
madmanvillain
Off-Roader

Name: mmv

by Zero » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:45 am

awesome kit.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:54 am

CTD isn't getting a dime of my money, ever again, for anything I can get anywhere else!

The morning after the elections, their ammo trippled in price, and anything AR or AK nearly doubled...

Screw them.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by cbbryan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Everybody else went up in price too they just did it before the election. Truth is Obama and the threat of his administration did more for the gun industry and 2nd amendment prior to and just after the election than they will be able to hurt it.
cbbryan
Trail-Blazer

by Saxis » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:01 pm

Yeah, the local gun shop here has a plaque on the wall with Obama's picture that reads "Firearm Salesman of the Year!". :shoot:
Saxis
Trail-Blazer

Name: Jesse
Vehicle Year: 2007

by madmanvillain » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:01 pm

theres no way to get all the guns...NY you dont have to register your rifles or shotguns (pistols you do) and between the 30ish guns me and my father own, 2 are registered because they were won at raffles...they can take the two but damned if they find the rest :finger: :shoot:
madmanvillain
Off-Roader

Name: mmv

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:09 pm

Mine were all lost in a tragic boating accident, but in IN you dont have to register anything you buy from an individual. Only if you buy it from a store.

I know a couple places that did not raise prices around the election, they limited what you could buy to be fair, but they kept fair prices.

On the other hand I cant wait to replace my collection when all the Obama purchasers start selling after his ass gets booted out of office.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by cbbryan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:10 pm

In Mississippi every firearm bought from a dealer is registered, but you do not have to be a dealer to sell a weapon that you own and the person you sell it to doesn't have to redo the registration. So I buy a weapon, don't like it sell it to my friend and nobody knows what happens after that. Same thing with weapons that get passed down from grandfather to father to son and so on. The only way it will happen is if more heavily armed people come and take them away and even then they can only get what is registered to you that you still have. So sell(bury cache in the back yard) all your weapons and you have nothing to worry about.
cbbryan
Trail-Blazer

by lil_freak_66 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:25 pm

Handguns here are registered,and long arms that can be operated when under 30 inches(meaning with a folding or collapsible stock)

Long arms have no registration,Handguns and long arms can be purchased from private individuals,it is the only way a person over 18 and under 21 can legally buy a handgun.

I keep a ruger 10/22 "Michigan pistol"(what long arm-handguns are referred to as) and a remington 870 with me when offroading and on any road trips,not to mention a regular handgun,they are good for bug out and survival.

Fun fact for y'all,in Michigan,you can carry a long arm in public just as you can a handgun
Here is a picture of some people at the Second Amendment March at the State capitol back in april,but the first two are of the ponderosa event back in january which made national news,you may have heard of it.

Im looking at an SKS which takes AK mags for my bug out gear too,not only would it be more effective in the event of an invasion,civil uprising,major disaster or other,it would be more effective than a shotgun against the many predatory and aggressive animals at or near my bug out location.
SARTECH III
lil_freak_66
Trail-Blazer

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:35 pm

I believe you can open carry long arms in IN but it seems ridiculous to do so. I only carry them when going to hunt or target shoot with them. It is legal to carry a baseball bat or a pit bull in a backpack, but both are as pointless as carrying a long arm.
HARDTRAILZ

by lil_freak_66 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:51 pm

None of those people carry long arms every day(though most do open carry handguns daily)
Its something we do at some second amendment events when we're really trying to get the point across.
SARTECH III
lil_freak_66
Trail-Blazer

by Regulator1175 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:05 am

I am at a complete loss.

In my opinion, a responsible gun owner is one who doesn't bring attention to himself and the gun. Seriously, what do you gain from wearing an open pistol on your belt?

I have concealed carried for a long time. What benefit do you gain over me by open carry? It just seems like more of a "hey look at me" attitude.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth. I am not trying to start a fight, I am honestly curious as to what the point is/
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by lil_freak_66 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:16 am

my reasons for OC....

More comfortable,easier to carry a larger gun(more bullets,better accuracy)
Deters crime,most criminals will avoid robbing a victim they know is robbed,the "you'll be shot First" thing everybody says has no factual backing.
Brings gun ownership out of the closet,shows the public that good citizens carry guns too,not just the military,police and criminals.

99% of the people i have had talk to me in public about OC are very for it,only negative thing ive ever had said to me is that they didn't think i was of legal age to carry,they didnt believe OC in Michigan is legal at 18+,thinking it was 21+,i gave them a flier we have with laws and AG opinions on it,fixed that misconception right up.

Nobody has left the area because of me OC from what i can tell,no kids scared,nobody staring at me,nobody pointing and screaming,none of that which many people would expect to happen. Its not as big of a deal in this state as it was a few years ago,quite common now,the majority of the population is aware that it is legal and that open carriers aren't causing trouble.

check out www.opencarry.org if you want a bit more info.

before this gets too off topic,lets start a new thread or take it to PM's
SARTECH III
lil_freak_66
Trail-Blazer

PreviousNext

Return to Camping / Survival