Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Bug-out Vehicle - supplies, checklists, planning

Discussion on how to enjoy the outdoors.

by lil_freak_66 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:53 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Water
Ammo and Weapon
Flashlight
Beef Jerky

the one thing roadie would have to limit on (for legal reasons) is the firearm thing.

california is known for they're horrible anti firearm laws,and generally considered the worst state for the 2nd amendment.

im lucky,everything federally legal is legal here,an 18+ open carry w/ no permit and a shall issue 21+ ccw

i carry 1-3 firearms with me on any trip.

depending on where im going(state laws)

.22 goes me to whatever state it is legal in,it makes a great survival rifle,high capacity,lightweight,has a folding stock,which leaves it at the federal legal minimum overall length of 26 inches(applies to long arms only) when folded.

my 870 is general purpose,its legal in every state that i go to,works good for stashing in the vehicle or home and fits on my bug out bag.

and a 7.62x54R bolt action w/ bayonet. makes great for longer distance shooting,and being a larger centerfire rifle it has a very loud gunshot,which works good for signaling,the bayonet came on the rifle.

when im going to michigans upper penninsula i will stash all 3 in the TB

after i trek out on foot,i usually will grab the ruger 10/22 and then either the 870 or mosin nagant
depending on if i plan to hunt large game,or run into large game(i have had a run in with a bear once,that mosin works wonders)

im not huge on vehicle bug out,i keep 2 seperate bags for bug out,urban and wilderness,depending on the situation,but long story short theres the essentials in each bag for AT LEAST 4 days worth of survival,including a nuclear incident.

the TB does carry a tent and the storage area under the cargo bay has MRE's a few canteens and a first aid kit.

but enough rambling on.

bare min. i say (non vehicle dependent) is
water-1 quart min. canteen,area dependent
food-at least 48 hours worth of full meals.
shelter-at least a tube tent and emergency "space" blanket
misc-at least a good multi tool,preferably a fixed blade knife 4-6 inch blade non or partial seration and if possible a firearm in a common military caliber(country dependent),9x19mm, 5.56, .308 win

sorry if i rambled on too much,if you feel like its not relevent enough-feel free to delete the post,i wont mind as i understand that i have a rambling issue occasionally.
Michigan Search & Rescue.
SARTECH III
lil_freak_66
Trail-Blazer

Name: Tyler
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by cbbryan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:13 am

A portable water filter would be something good to carry as well. At 8lbs to the gallon you don't really wanna weigh you truck down with as much water as you are supposed to drink (1gal/person/day) every day for 3-5 days. Also, iodine, bleach, stove, potable aqua, or other water purification tabs are all good options. The stove will use fuel which you'd need more of and the tabs and liquids all have to sit for awhile. 2-3 drops of bleach per liter is will kill the bacteria in 15-20 mins and won't leave your water tasting funny like anything else. But above all is the backpacker's portable water filter. You can pump stream to bottle and it' ready to drink in under 5 mins. The water fillter not only gets out the bacteria, but it also gives you fresh clean looking water, which will help those who are't outdoorsy or survival minded who may be with you drink it down. Filters are cheap as well, but they can get expensive too.

-carry less water
-carry water purification (extra filters, cleaning kits, bleach, iodine, other methods)
cbbryan
Trail-Blazer

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2005

by bgwolfpack » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:12 pm

cbbryan wrote:A portable water filter would be something good to carry as well. At 8lbs to the gallon you don't really wanna weigh you truck down with as much water as you are supposed to drink (1gal/person/day) every day for 3-5 days. Also, iodine, bleach, stove, potable aqua, or other water purification tabs are all good options. The stove will use fuel which you'd need more of and the tabs and liquids all have to sit for awhile. 2-3 drops of bleach per liter is will kill the bacteria in 15-20 mins and won't leave your water tasting funny like anything else. But above all is the backpacker's portable water filter. You can pump stream to bottle and it' ready to drink in under 5 mins. The water fillter not only gets out the bacteria, but it also gives you fresh clean looking water, which will help those who are't outdoorsy or survival minded who may be with you drink it down. Filters are cheap as well, but they can get expensive too.

-carry less water
-carry water purification (extra filters, cleaning kits, bleach, iodine, other methods)
Is there a water cleaning kit on the market that you have used and recommend? :coffee:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by cbbryan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:36 pm

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___62900
I have used one like this in the past. It has an adapter on the end where the water comes out that will fit almost any water bottle and that makes it easier to operate so you don't have to hold the hose in your container. It is also very easy to clean and take care of as well.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___69478
This is another option. No cleaning required and you won't ever need another filter either. It uses ultraviolet light to purify the water. The most upkeep with this is batteries and maybe a spare bulb or two. I have never used one but it seems interesting and worth looking into. It is smaller and lighter and, as a backpacker, every ounce counts.

No matter which style you choose make sure you do something cause you don't want to end up like Nicole.
Attachments
oregontrail.jpg
(64.57 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
cbbryan
Trail-Blazer

by Trail X » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:59 pm

Oh man... sounds like I missed a fun discussion (when it was on topic)...

So a bug-out vehicle eh?

The scenareo I always envision (because it is likely the most realistic) is a nuclear attack on DC. I live and work about 40 miles from the theoretical epicenter. Now... we wouldn't see any direct damage from a nuclear blast that far away, however panic would quickly set in amongst common citizens. Plus, there is the issue of nuclear fall out... generally the safe zone is considered a 50 mile radius. Of course this depends on prevailing winds, etc.

A bug-out vehicle needs to be constantly equipped with enough supplies so you can at least reach a safe area before requiring supplies. There are a couple things to consider. First is a rendezvous point for anyone you are willing to support. If it's a kid, make sure they know where to go in order to meet you. Cell phones will NOT work... the circuits are only designed to handle a certain amount of traffic and will quickly be overcome. Texting sometimes works.

You may not be able to go home, so try to keep some gear in your vehicle at all times.

If traffic is jammed/blocked what is your alternative? Always be aware of any back roads, as they may be less congested. I was a EMT a few years back, and I have retained my emergency lights in my vehicle from that time... it's always helpful for clearing paths when necessary. 4 way flashers won't get you through traffic. So the key elements here are ensuring you have the gas range to get out of the danger zone in a safe and quick manner. I never let my tank drop below 5 gallons remaining during normal driving to ensure I have some range.

Now that you are clear of the danger zone, you may need to gather more supplies. Expect the cost of everything to skyrocket, as everyone will be gobbling up supplies. Be certain to keep emergency cash somewhere.

So I'd say that some of the true, key elements are:
Gas (so you don't have to wait in line at a gas station)
First Aid (hospitals will become over-run quickly)
Food (enough to get yourself to a safe zone at the least)
Protection from others (or at least a way to keep people from stealing from you)
Protection from elements (consider what possible conditions could exist near you... be it a blizzard, volcano, earthquake, nuclear fallout, etc)

At least, that's the way I see it for a realistic scenario. A trailer may not be realistic unless you are always near your home... although it would certainly make an escape that much simpler if it's nearby and pre-packed.
:safari:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by cbbryan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:43 pm

Not to knock you down James, but I don't think it has been off topic too much and your secenario is quite far fetched. More than likely any "nuking" of US soil will be due to a dirty bomb. So unless you're close enough to see it you don't have much to worry about.

You do have good points however; establishing a plan and rehearsing it with all those you plan to take care of during said disaster. 6P: Propper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

Bugging out can be a result of any natural disaster (for the guys who live ing CA land slides and wild fires, Mid West tornados, etc...)

Some people might want to be bug out equipped to go at moments notice to help out with these disasters.
cbbryan
Trail-Blazer

by Trail X » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:47 am

cbbryan wrote:Some people might want to be bug out equipped to go at moments notice to help out with these disasters.

The definition of bugging out is evacuation of ones self. Key word being evacuation... meaning getting yourself out in the short term, not long term survival. Thats why I say a trailer isn't really bug-out equipment (although entirely useful in a natural disaster scenario!).

If you're going to aid in recovery after a natural disaster, bugging-out isn't really the proper word. Deploying into a disaster area would require proper pre-planning and staging... you don't just run into the hot zone and start freeing people on your own.

And I still beleive that a nuclear attack in DC (or any of the larger cities in our country) is not at all far fetched and would create a short term fallout danger (especially down wind), and longer-term mass hysteria in the region. If you want to make the scenario slightly less likely, but more directly dangerous... put the epicenter in downtown Baltimore. Of course nuclear blasts are not the only thing you would bug-out from... but it seems to be one of the worst-case scenarios I can think of.
Trail X
Founder

by Philberto » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:04 pm

Of course, there're even worse possibilities, such as a re-emergence of smallpox, biological or chemical attacks, outright invasion by foreign forces, and widespread natural disaster. I for one vote chemical/biological or dirty bomb over outright nuclear attack. Our anti-missile technology is pretty advanced these days.

-edit: Another one that springs to mind: Total Economic Meltdown/Collapse.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by Trail X » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:37 pm

Good scenarios. I didn't consider a bio attack... but then again, a bio attack wouldn't be noticed right away... and a surprise invasion has essentially a 0 chance of ever happening.

Just to keep the debate going... I don't picture a nuclear missile hitting DC... I see it as more of a terrorist act from the ground. Driven in by van or something.
Trail X
Founder

by bgwolfpack » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:05 pm

How about an airliner being taken over and flown into the White House or Pentagon? Hard to think it could happen, but maybe.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by teebes » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Wasn't this thread aimed more at supplies, checklists, planning? :poke: :poke: To a point this does depend on the 'event' you are fleeing/bugging out, but lets keep it discussion focused on the OP's topic, please :)

:friday:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes

by bgwolfpack » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:52 pm

:thumright: Yeah you're right teebes. :thumleft: :salut:

The question should really center on bare minimums and length of survival time needed to be sustained for one or a family group. I think this is coming together but more input is always needed. Therefore the type of attack or disaster must have weight. :coffee:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Trail X » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:09 pm

But you can't have a different vehicle or case for every type of attack.

As I understand it, the primary concern with a bugout vehicle is essentially evacuation from the area, and short-term survival (less than 72 hours of survival).

So the keys are:

Obtain loved ones
-Create a plan (I don't know about you, but I wouldn't leave without the wife)

Get to a safe location (which varies depending on the disaster)
-Gasoline
-Proper Maintenance
-Recovery equipment? Spares?

Survive a short period before requiring more supplies
-First Aid
-Food Rations
-Medicine
-Protection (against weather, other people, animals, or the disaster)

I'd say that's the bare minimum based upon no packing time (these things should be ready to go at a moments notice). If you have more time to pack (such as a hurricane or smallpox outbreak), certainly pack up as much as you can.

At least, that's how I define 'bug-out'.
Trail X
Founder

by Philberto » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:13 am

I suppose my bugout/survival strategy hinges on being able to be self-sufficient at a moment's notice from any location. Essentially, carrying a backup of my life around in my vehicle. If the SHTF, then no matter the duration, I'll be able to survive with my loved ones, and all I have to do is get to my vehicle. Once there, I figure I can have about a 2 week-1 month window before I have to live off the land or find more supplies (fuel for travel notwithstanding).
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by MrSmithsTB » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:09 am

JamesDowning wrote:But you can't have a different vehicle or case for every type of attack.

As I understand it, the primary concern with a bugout vehicle is essentially evacuation from the area, and short-term survival (less than 72 hours of survival).

So the keys are:

Obtain loved ones
-Create a plan (I don't know about you, but I wouldn't leave without the wife)

Get to a safe location (which varies depending on the disaster)
-Gasoline
-Proper Maintenance
-Recovery equipment? Spares?

Survive a short period before requiring more supplies
-First Aid
-Food Rations
-Medicine
-Protection (against weather, other people, animals, or the disaster)

I'd say that's the bare minimum based upon no packing time (these things should be ready to go at a moments notice). If you have more time to pack (such as a hurricane or smallpox outbreak), certainly pack up as much as you can.

At least, that's how I define 'bug-out'.

I have to agree with you on this. I can see maybe extending that to a week in extreme situations. But I believe the entire point is to survive until you can get to where you need to be to survive long term(which you have hopefully planned out by now), or get back home.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by cowboy63645 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:55 pm

As far as "bugging out" I always keep supplies in the TB, for "just in case" scenarios. The supplies I carry are as follows:

Recovery Gear (chain's, recovery strap's, shackle's)
full size spare tire
air compressor
tool bag (wrenches, ratchet set, screw drivers, electrical kit)
extra fluid's (oil, antifreeze, tranny fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid)
extra fuel line and clamps
battery pack for self starting
jumper cables
2-2 D cell LED maglight's
power invertor
tire repair kit

I also have a "bug out bag" that is always in the car, and in that I carry:

4- 1 liter bottles of water
energy bar's
beef jerkey
fire starter (cotton balls dipped in vasoline)
matches in a fire proof container
extra batteries
small pot and small pan

There are alot of little things I know I am missing, but I can still carry all of this plus my family of 5, mainly becasue I have the EXT model TB. I have all copies of important documents, including birth certificates, driver's licenses, social security cards, etc that is in a fire proof safe that can be grabbed at a moments notice and put in the TB, as well as a camp box with a large variety of food, shelter, propane bottles, camp stove, etc. It all comes down to what you need and what you think you will need. I got to test my bug out bag this past may when we had a BAD storm come through and we were out of power for 2 weeks and I was a few miles from home when it hit. My wife and kids knew what to do without me being there, which made things that much easier. At any given point of time we have a 3 month supply of food and water at home in a "storage" unit, as I would much rather deal with "bugging in" than "bugging out" Just my .02 of course

One other thing I carry is maps. Not only state maps but I also have a count map that shows every city road, county road, and fire and conservation road which comes in handy as well.
cowboy63645

Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by bgwolfpack » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:08 pm

I searched this thread and I think we've over looked a key peace in this puzzle. A HELM manual.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by teebes » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:31 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:I searched this thread and I think we've over looked a key peace in this puzzle. A HELM manual.

Good point!

I'm also curious about food rations: type, quantity, etc. I've been thinking of getting a bunch of dried food/camping style rations just to have loaded up for bug out events.

Recommendations?
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes

by cbbryan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:53 am

[quote="teebesI'm also curious about food rations: type, quantity, etc. I've been thinking of getting a bunch of dried food/camping style rations just to have loaded up for bug out events.

Recommendations?[/quote]
MREs! You can find Meals Ready to Eat (MREs) at a local army surplus store a olt of times or order them off the interweb. If you don't like that option you can go with backpacking foods which will be lighter, but will require water prepare.

I believe a good soucre for the basic essentials for bugging out are consistent with camping, and can be found in an backpacking guide or Boy Scout handbook.
cbbryan
Trail-Blazer

by The Roadie » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:22 am

San Diego has a bunch of MRE vendors and military outfitters. I got to sample a few of them on a Camp Pendleton tour.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

PreviousNext

Return to Camping / Survival