Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Tents and sleeping bags... the ultimate thread.

Discussion on how to enjoy the outdoors.

by NC_IslandRunner » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:33 pm

I have the XL 1 person from Dick's, Trailshaman had the 2 person mount on top his TB. Can be used as a cot without the tent or a chair. I've used it on the last 2 TECOREs and the Overland Rally. Only thing I don't like is condensation builds up unless its nice out and you can open the windows.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
User avatar
NC_IslandRunner
Moderator
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: NC, Sanford
Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80
Rank: Offroad Rated

by DirtyBacon04 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:12 pm

NC_IslandRunner wrote:Only thing I don't like is condensation builds up unless its nice out and you can open the windows.


Doesn't that happen with every tent :scratch:
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
***The more you know, the less you need.***
Sergeant, USMC
Dirty Bacon's Build
User avatar
DirtyBacon04
Moderator
 
Posts: 2972
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:59 am
Location: FL, Central
Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker
Rank: Expedition Rated

by dvanbramer88 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:46 pm

That's just because Rory farts a lot.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
User avatar
dvanbramer88
Lifer
 
Posts: 2282
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:12 pm
Location: PA, Bristol
Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Trail Ready

by NC_IslandRunner » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:50 pm

dvanbramer88 wrote:That's just because Rory farts a lot.


So that's why you were licking my tent! It all makes strange sense now...
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
User avatar
NC_IslandRunner
Moderator
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: NC, Sanford
Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80
Rank: Offroad Rated

by NC_IslandRunner » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:54 pm

DirtyBacon04 wrote:
NC_IslandRunner wrote:Only thing I don't like is condensation builds up unless its nice out and you can open the windows.


Doesn't that happen with every tent :scratch:


Some but it's different when your face is inches from it. Plus the more airspace per person the less condensate you will create plus in larger tents it's spead out. Camping in rain/hot weather you can just leave the rainfly off cause the rain is better than condensation raining on you in the tent.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
User avatar
NC_IslandRunner
Moderator
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: NC, Sanford
Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80
Rank: Offroad Rated

by DirtyBacon04 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:04 pm

another reason I'm moving out to the desert
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
***The more you know, the less you need.***
Sergeant, USMC
Dirty Bacon's Build
User avatar
DirtyBacon04
Moderator
 
Posts: 2972
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:59 am
Location: FL, Central
Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker
Rank: Expedition Rated

by fishsticks » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:11 pm

I've always just left a zipper open and inch or two. Even in a downpour condensation hasn't been an issue...

It could just be that here in the NW, our version of "dry" is different than everyone else's...
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
User avatar
fishsticks
Moderator
 
Posts: 4356
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:30 pm
Location: WA, Vancouver
Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker
Rank: Extreme Offroader

by djthumper » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:24 pm

fishsticks wrote:I've always just left a zipper open and inch or two. Even in a downpour condensation hasn't been an issue...

It could just be that here in the NW, our version of "dry" is different than everyone else's...

It isn't called the north wet for nothing ;)
Larry
KC7QJO
Build Thread
User avatar
djthumper
Moderator
 
Posts: 2693
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:04 pm
Location: NV, Las Vegas
Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Offroad Rated

by Trail X » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:13 pm

The only time I had condensation was when I had 4 inches of snow on top of the tent. My windows don't zip closed on the top, so I get decent ventilation no matter what.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
User avatar
Trail X
Founder
 
Posts: 9882
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:22 pm
Location: VA, Roanoke
Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker
Rank: Expedition Guide

by RyansTBLS » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:27 pm

North wet is right! Even in Eastern Oregon the dew in morning makes everything wet. I never had a problem when I tented, my tent had a vent at the top and then the storm flap went over the top, I was in it for lots of rain and some snow and hail and didn't have condensation problems. Currently in sunny eastern Oregon, getting rained on.... :facepalm: oh well tomorrow is supposed to be sunny :fro:
The problem with the Trailblazer is, people think you know what you're doing.
User avatar
RyansTBLS
Addict
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:00 pm
Location: OR, La Grande
Name: Ryan
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Trail Ready

by Bay Wolf » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:32 pm

We just spent 2 weeks in the San Juan Mountains, the latter of which was at around 9000' elevation. The temps dropped into the upper 30s/low 40s at night.

On previous trips using my synthetic-fill "30*F" bag by Wenger, I had to sleep in 3 or 4 layers: t-shirt, long-sleeve t-shirt, sweatshirt, and sometimes a coat, to go with 2 pairs of pants (1 fleece) and 2 pairs of socks. I still froze my rear-end off, at times, in similar conditions. That bag, in hindsight, sucked.

This year, we went with Kelty duck-down 3-season bags all around. The kids and I were in the Cosmic Down 20 mummy bags; the wife was in the Galactic 15 rectangular bag.

I started out in a t-shirt, fleece pants, and socks, and sweated the first few nights. Thinner pants rectified the sweating, and I even had to go with shorts one night. It was an amazing difference and well worth the ~$115/bag we spent on them.
2003 TrailBlazer LT
2003 TrailBlazer EXT LT
User avatar
Bay Wolf
Cruiser
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: LA
Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by dvanbramer88 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:12 pm

Bay Wolf wrote:We just spent 2 weeks in the San Juan Mountains, the latter of which was at around 9000' elevation. The temps dropped into the upper 30s/low 40s at night.

On previous trips using my synthetic-fill "30*F" bag by Wenger, I had to sleep in 3 or 4 layers: t-shirt, long-sleeve t-shirt, sweatshirt, and sometimes a coat, to go with 2 pairs of pants (1 fleece) and 2 pairs of socks. I still froze my rear-end off, at times, in similar conditions. That bag, in hindsight, sucked.

This year, we went with Kelty duck-down 3-season bags all around. The kids and I were in the Cosmic Down 20 mummy bags; the wife was in the Galactic 15 rectangular bag.

I started out in a t-shirt, fleece pants, and socks, and sweated the first few nights. Thinner pants rectified the sweating, and I even had to go with shorts one night. It was an amazing difference and well worth the ~$115/bag we spent on them.


Remember the temp rating on bags is not a comfort rating, it is a "You shouldn't die rating"
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
User avatar
dvanbramer88
Lifer
 
Posts: 2282
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:12 pm
Location: PA, Bristol
Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Trail Ready

by v7guy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:07 am

I've seen it commented that you should add 30 degrees to the rating to determine what temps it'll be comfortable in, seems to be pretty accurate from what I've seen/experienced
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
User avatar
v7guy
Moderator
 
Posts: 3711
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:17 pm
Location: NY, long island
Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Offroad Rated

by Bay Wolf » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:47 pm

dvanbramer88 wrote:Remember the temp rating on bags is not a comfort rating, it is a "You shouldn't die rating"


Right, unless it's been tested to EN (European) standards (e.g. the Cosmic Down bag linked above), which do list a variety of "comfort ratings".
2003 TrailBlazer LT
2003 TrailBlazer EXT LT
User avatar
Bay Wolf
Cruiser
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: LA
Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

Previous

Return to Camping / Survival