Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Tents and sleeping bags... the ultimate thread.

Discussion on how to enjoy the outdoors.

by navigator » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:32 am

yeah, I always stake mine just in case.
If it is supposed to be calm I might use the wire stakes but most of the time I use the normal big plastic stakes.
At the beach I have 2ft PVC I have cut for stakes.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
User avatar
navigator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4649
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:16 am
Location: NC, Winnabow
Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Trail Ready

by Trail X » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:15 pm

v7guy wrote:Well my accommodations for Tecore are a bit up in the air at the moment but I did end up picking up a field and stream mummy bag rated to a 0 deg comfort rating. Based on the advise here I figured this would probably get me through a fall camp out. I'm still on the fence about a tent, but based on the input I'm just going to try a mid range 3 season tent that's commonly available. If I'm going to do this often I'll upgrade.
The misses has decided not to come to Tecore due to fears of bathroom issues over two nights.
She was willing to do one night, but two was a no go. Especially with lots of new people and no women. I offered to get a bathroom shelter but it wasn't helpful. Obviously I hope to get her to try an over night stay so I didn't push. I figure one night can lead to two eventually. Maybe the group setting is too much. In casually talking with her friends this seems to be the biggest issue for all of them.
The bag I picked up seems reasonable.
http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/product ... 6.12669396

Reviews
http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/fiel ... ag-reviews

I'll sleep in it this week and a time or two in the winter to give reviews.



I'm still unsure of what tent to get. I'm looking locally instead of ordering. This is motivated by the desire to get something cheaper and 3 season as opposed to the 4 seasons I was initially looking at. If I use it often I'll upgrade. I've been steering towards the tents with high water resistance and a high "tub". I've waken in water. It's no good.

Admittedly I'm disappointed I can't get the misses on board, but pushing will never make it happen. If there are any thoughts beyond the toilet tent I'm happy to hear them.


So Jason, inquiring minds want to know how your bag did at TECORE. I probably asked you while we were there, but figured I'd ask again because I don't remember.

Personally, my -15 bag left my feet cold that first night... but I think that's partially because I tried to sleep with no socks on... and even once I grabbed socks I couldn't get them warm again.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
User avatar
Trail X
Founder
 
Posts: 9771
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:22 pm
Location: VA, Roanoke
Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker
Rank: Expedition Guide

by NC_IslandRunner » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:33 pm

Damn, my +5 bag had me toasty head to toe.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
User avatar
NC_IslandRunner
Moderator
 
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: NC, Sanford
Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80
Rank: Offroad Rated

by Trail X » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:28 am

You were also in a coffin.

But yeah, I was a bit disappointed... that bag had done well for me every other trip, it surprised me.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
User avatar
Trail X
Founder
 
Posts: 9771
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:22 pm
Location: VA, Roanoke
Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker
Rank: Expedition Guide

by bartonmd » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:47 am

First time I'd had my new Alps Mountaineering 4-person tent out, and it worked out really well! No condensation in the morning, but also no breeze inside. Doors in front and back, as well, so I won't have to climb over Lis when we're camping together.

Image
bartonmd
Contributing Author & Off-Road Vendor
 
Posts: 4460
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:35 am
Location: IN, Indianapolis
Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80
Rank: Offroad Rated

by Damurphy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:32 am

I'm also looking for camping gear. I haven't had anything since I was a kid.
Now I have to boys and a wife that love outdoors. Thinking about sucking it up and
Dropping the money at dicks. Started camping last year and have been borrowing my best friends gear.
All my camping is done in the blue ridge and smokey mountains.

If anyone has a great tent suggestion please advise
Damurphy
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:27 pm
Location: Bluffton, SC
Name: David
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by v7guy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:00 pm

JamesDowning wrote:
v7guy wrote:Well my accommodations for Tecore are a bit up in the air at the moment but I did end up picking up a field and stream mummy bag rated to a 0 deg comfort rating. Based on the advise here I figured this would probably get me through a fall camp out. I'm still on the fence about a tent, but based on the input I'm just going to try a mid range 3 season tent that's commonly available. If I'm going to do this often I'll upgrade.
The misses has decided not to come to Tecore due to fears of bathroom issues over two nights.
She was willing to do one night, but two was a no go. Especially with lots of new people and no women. I offered to get a bathroom shelter but it wasn't helpful. Obviously I hope to get her to try an over night stay so I didn't push. I figure one night can lead to two eventually. Maybe the group setting is too much. In casually talking with her friends this seems to be the biggest issue for all of them.
The bag I picked up seems reasonable.
http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/product ... 6.12669396

Reviews
http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/fiel ... ag-reviews

I'll sleep in it this week and a time or two in the winter to give reviews.



I'm still unsure of what tent to get. I'm looking locally instead of ordering. This is motivated by the desire to get something cheaper and 3 season as opposed to the 4 seasons I was initially looking at. If I use it often I'll upgrade. I've been steering towards the tents with high water resistance and a high "tub". I've waken in water. It's no good.

Admittedly I'm disappointed I can't get the misses on board, but pushing will never make it happen. If there are any thoughts beyond the toilet tent I'm happy to hear them.


So Jason, inquiring minds want to know how your bag did at TECORE. I probably asked you while we were there, but figured I'd ask again because I don't remember.

Personally, my -15 bag left my feet cold that first night... but I think that's partially because I tried to sleep with no socks on... and even once I grabbed socks I couldn't get them warm again.



After I realized that I needed to tighten down the inside drawstring I was pretty comfy, but I slept in a t shirt and jeans with socks. Before I really tightened down the inside drawstring I was uncomfortable and cold. Wish I had realized it had that shoulder level drawstring earlier. I used a foam mat under the sleeping bag and a camp pillow.
The tent I ended up with at TECORE seemed to work reasonably well. There was no moisture inside in the morning and it was a tad warmer inside the tent than outside. Seemed to keep the wind out. It sets up and breaks down really quick. The only irritation I have with it is the "bag" that holds it all ripped the second night. I had to go get a duffel bag to toss it in.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-9-x-7 ... 0003260410
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
User avatar
v7guy
Moderator
 
Posts: 3709
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:17 pm
Location: NY, long island
Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Offroad Rated

by navigator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:17 pm

Damurphy wrote:I'm also looking for camping gear. I haven't had anything since I was a kid.
Now I have to boys and a wife that love outdoors. Thinking about sucking it up and
Dropping the money at dicks. Started camping last year and have been borrowing my best friends gear.
All my camping is done in the blue ridge and smokey mountains.

If anyone has a great tent suggestion please advise


Dan, unless you are someone that is into extreme camping to me I want a tent that is easy to put up and take down hopefully by one person.

I've got one of these, it is a little large but there are 4 of us that usually go and many times the kids will bring a friend so we need the room. I can put it up by myself in about 10 minutes which is much better than our old pole tent.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-8 ... 8/15111312

Another tent that really peaked my interest was a Coleman "Instant Tent" which is really fast set up. If I could have used a smaller tent I would have went that route.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Insta ... 9/15843339
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
User avatar
navigator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4649
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:16 am
Location: NC, Winnabow
Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Trail Ready

by navigator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:20 pm

BTW, the tent I got I would expect to be a fine 3 season tent to use 5-10 times per year for a few years.
If you are going to camp in cold weather or need something to really last I don't think the low end models are what you are looking for.

I know with family, my needs are likely to change in a few years and I may need a different style tent.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
User avatar
navigator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4649
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:16 am
Location: NC, Winnabow
Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Trail Ready

by Trail X » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:27 pm

v7guy wrote:
JamesDowning wrote:
v7guy wrote:Well my accommodations for Tecore are a bit up in the air at the moment but I did end up picking up a field and stream mummy bag rated to a 0 deg comfort rating.

So Jason, inquiring minds want to know how your bag did at TECORE. I probably asked you while we were there, but figured I'd ask again because I don't remember.

After I realized that I needed to tighten down the inside drawstring I was pretty comfy, but I slept in a t shirt and jeans with socks. Before I really tightened down the inside drawstring I was uncomfortable and cold. Wish I had realized it had that shoulder level drawstring earlier. I used a foam mat under the sleeping bag and a camp pillow.
The tent I ended up with at TECORE seemed to work reasonably well. There was no moisture inside in the morning and it was a tad warmer inside the tent than outside. Seemed to keep the wind out. It sets up and breaks down really quick. The only irritation I have with it is the "bag" that holds it all ripped the second night. I had to go get a duffel bag to toss it in.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-9-x-7 ... 0003260410


Glad it worked well for you. Yeah that drawstring does make a difference. I don't think I messed with mine the first night, but I'm not sure why that would make my feet cold.

Also, I don't think those nights were good tests for condensation. Mine have had condensation in the past, and I had nothing on this trip. Dew point must have been really low?

navigator wrote:Another tent that really peaked my interest was a Coleman "Instant Tent" which is really fast set up. If I could have used a smaller tent I would have went that route.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Insta ... 9/15843339


I believe this is what Dirty Anton has. Seems to set up really fast. However the down side seems to be that it is a little difficult to fold up due to it becoming a big bubble.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
User avatar
Trail X
Founder
 
Posts: 9771
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:22 pm
Location: VA, Roanoke
Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker
Rank: Expedition Guide

by bartonmd » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:37 pm

FWIW, I used the good old $60 Colman 3-person dome tents for a long time, and they work pretty well.

Mike
bartonmd
Contributing Author & Off-Road Vendor
 
Posts: 4460
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:35 am
Location: IN, Indianapolis
Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80
Rank: Offroad Rated

by navigator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Good note about Dirty Anton's tent James, good to know. I want one that is easy to put up and take down.
The one I have doesn't bubble bad at all, the whole roof is only covered by the rainfly so it breathes really well.
The rainfly works well, the first night we used it we had a pretty bad storm come up unexpectedly and everything stayed dry.

I wouldn't want to use it on a cool night though. My wife has already informed me we aren't camping anymore unless the night time temp is over 50 degrees.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
User avatar
navigator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4649
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:16 am
Location: NC, Winnabow
Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Trail Ready

by Trail X » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Yep, I'm dealing with a similar limitation on temperatures. But my wife is basically cold blooded.

And Dirty Anton is Mike, not Jon.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
User avatar
Trail X
Founder
 
Posts: 9771
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:22 pm
Location: VA, Roanoke
Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker
Rank: Expedition Guide

by navigator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:15 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Yep, I'm dealing with a similar limitation on temperatures. But my wife is basically cold blooded.


My wife was hot natured like me but she had a few health issues and her thyroid removed due to thyroid cancer and since then she has been really cold natured. That is really the only noticeable side affect for her other than having to take the one little pill every day. Now anything in the house under 75 and she is cold. I can't seem to breathe if it is over about 73 in the house. We end up keeping it at 73 and she just has to keep bundled up.

JamesDowning wrote:And Dirty Anton is Mike, not Jon.

For some reason I get Dirty Anton and Jon A mixed up, it must be because they both have bad rides!
I corrected the brain fart.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
User avatar
navigator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4649
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:16 am
Location: NC, Winnabow
Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Trail Ready

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:20 pm

And Dirty Anton doesn't even use it now he switched to a setup in the back of the truck.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
User avatar
NC_IslandRunner
Moderator
 
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: NC, Sanford
Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80
Rank: Offroad Rated

by v7guy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:32 am

Yeah, Mikes sleeping arrangement seemed to work really well for a single person. May work ok for two if you're close.
I'm going to try to set the tent up sometime in the next couple Weeks and see how it is in the 30s. That way I'll have the house close by if it sucks.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
User avatar
v7guy
Moderator
 
Posts: 3709
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:17 pm
Location: NY, long island
Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD
Rank: Offroad Rated

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:34 am

I would likely go with a in truck setup if solo. My lil Kelty tent did amazing but is really a one person affair. My random Eddie Bauer bag proved itself again and I never got the least bit cold even in just boxers. Really glad I stole that from my dad. He bought it on clearance to keep in the closet just in case. I did use a yoga mat and cheap ass blue foam mat from walmart to stay up off the ground.

Was really comfy overall.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
User avatar
HARDTRAILZ
Lifer
 
Posts: 6285
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:49 am
Location: IN, Batesville
Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker
Rank: Extreme Offroader

by DirtyBacon04 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Just picked this thingy up from Gander Mtn. Pretty neat deal for $119. Only took me about 7 minutes to set up, first time w/o directions... (real men dont need directions anyways)

With rain fly
Image

W/O rain fly
Image

You can unzip the tent from the cot and use them sepearatley
Image

They can be carried together or seperatley
Image


Eager to take it out and give it a trial run. Also one benefit of having a cot, you can keep your firewood (or anything) dry underneath it.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
***The more you know, the less you need.***
Sergeant, USMC
Dirty Bacon's Build
User avatar
DirtyBacon04
Moderator
 
Posts: 2954
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:59 am
Location: FL, Central
Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker
Rank: Expedition Rated

by fishsticks » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:30 pm

That's pretty sick. Do they make a 2-4 man variant? I usually drag my pack into the tent with me.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
User avatar
fishsticks
Moderator
 
Posts: 4356
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:30 pm
Location: WA, Vancouver
Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker
Rank: Extreme Offroader

by DirtyBacon04 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:54 pm

i only saw a 2 man version. no 4 person version that i know of. The 2 man version was close to $300.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
***The more you know, the less you need.***
Sergeant, USMC
Dirty Bacon's Build
User avatar
DirtyBacon04
Moderator
 
Posts: 2954
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:59 am
Location: FL, Central
Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker
Rank: Expedition Rated

PreviousNext

Return to Camping / Survival