Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

OBW

Discussion on how to enjoy the outdoors.

by Saxis » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:48 pm

I just had an idea for water storage, but not sure how practical it would be. Basically, find a tank roughly the same dimensions as the spare tire location and use the tire crank to hoist it in and out of place before/after trips. Maybe too great of a chance to break it while wheeling, but you can find some fairly thin marine tanks. I was looking at a 10gal, 32" x 19 1/2" x 4 3/4". That should tuck up there nicely. The other concern is that it'd get filthy with mud and grime. Might be good for emergency water at least...

Thoughts?
Saxis
Trail-Blazer

Name: Jesse
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:05 am

I thought about turning the well in the cargo area into a sink, just install drain; install faucet that will unscrew and plug so you can just collapse it in put the cover back on and it looks stock unless you lift cover. well almost stock I made a wood cover for the rear cargo area a few months ago cause I throw so much junk in there it messed up the original one.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by Trail X » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:39 am

That's a really cool idea. But you'd have to unpack everything in order to use it.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:57 am

JamesDowning wrote:That's a really cool idea. But you'd have to unpack everything in order to use it.

Yeah, kind of a camp sink only.
NC_IslandRunner

by The Roadie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:58 am

Saxis wrote:I just had an idea for water storage, but not sure how practical it would be. Basically, find a tank roughly the same dimensions as the spare tire location and use the tire crank to hoist it in and out of place before/after trips. Maybe too great of a chance to break it while wheeling, but you can find some fairly thin marine tanks. I was looking at a 10gal, 32" x 19 1/2" x 4 3/4". That should tuck up there nicely. The other concern is that it'd get filthy with mud and grime. Might be good for emergency water at least...

Thoughts?
Had that idea and posted on the OS years ago. A custom polyethylene tank can be made for $150 or so, and would never need to come down if protected with a skid plate. I calculated about 25-30 gallons could go down there if I sliced off the diagonal bracing formerly used for the tire winch. Advantage is lower CG as well. I might get to that now. Pump coming from Amazon and I just bought the Eccotemp heater. Don't want to hijack JD's thread, but as they say: "it's on." :excited:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by SomeOffPave » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:20 pm

The Roadie wrote: A custom polyethylene tank can be made for $150 or so, and would never need to come down if protected with a skid plate.

Not everybody lives in sunny California. If you plan to sell these "up north" do not forget to include a drain and a means to purge the pump and all lines for when the temp drops below freezing.
You do know what sub-freezing temperature is don't you? Or is it only something you have see in the movie White Christmas? :lol:
SomeOffPave
Cruiser

Vehicle Year: 2002

by The Roadie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:01 pm

SomeOffPave wrote:You do know what sub-freezing temperature is don't you?
:finger: I've TENTED in freezing rain and snow at 25 degrees with Teebes in the Sierra Nevadas at 9000 feet. And wintertime in the desert is also in the 20's, although dry. And I grew up camping in New England, year round.

These tanks are typically made for RVs, and you get to choose where to have them weld in the drain, vent, and fill fittings. You need a good drain anyway to purge it at the end of a trip so it won't grow moldy. I have a trailer that needs winterizing if I take it freezing places so I'm not a total wuss. Just a partial one. :viking:

The Roadie
Founder

by navigator » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:35 am

that is why I love NC. The cold isn't really that cold and the hot really isn't that hot. We have the beach and the mountains and a lot in between.

We do have bugs, snakes and humidity though but that is ok with me!
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:29 am

navigator wrote:...bugs... humidity ...
Deal breakers. :puker: I paid my dues with mosquitoes and green heads in New England. Never again.
The Roadie
Founder

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:20 pm

navigator wrote:the hot really isn't that hot.

Say what! it's been hot as hell this year.
NC_IslandRunner

by navigator » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:17 pm

NC_IslandRunner wrote:
navigator wrote:the hot really isn't that hot.

Say what! it's been hot as hell this year.

I wouldn't go that far. It has been pretty hot but not like in AZ and some of those states in that area.
I do have a desk job though :-)
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:40 pm

AZ heat is dry, humidity is where it gets bad and that's what we got. not as bad as Louisiana but far worse than dry heat.
step away from the desk!! :poke:
NC_IslandRunner

by navigator » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:54 am

yeah, part of the year I wish I worked outside (like this week is awesome) and the other part I am glad I work inside.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by Saxis » Tue May 01, 2012 6:57 pm

The Roadie wrote:
Saxis wrote:I just had an idea for water storage, but not sure how practical it would be. Basically, find a tank roughly the same dimensions as the spare tire location and use the tire crank to hoist it in and out of place before/after trips. Maybe too great of a chance to break it while wheeling, but you can find some fairly thin marine tanks. I was looking at a 10gal, 32" x 19 1/2" x 4 3/4". That should tuck up there nicely. The other concern is that it'd get filthy with mud and grime. Might be good for emergency water at least...

Thoughts?
Had that idea and posted on the OS years ago. A custom polyethylene tank can be made for $150 or so, and would never need to come down if protected with a skid plate. I calculated about 25-30 gallons could go down there if I sliced off the diagonal bracing formerly used for the tire winch. Advantage is lower CG as well. I might get to that now. Pump coming from Amazon and I just bought the Eccotemp heater. Don't want to hijack JD's thread, but as they say: "it's on." :excited:

Bill, did you ever get to building your OBW? With summer fast approaching and me looking to do some extended camping, I started ordering parts for mine (pump, hoses, fittings)...
Saxis
Trail-Blazer

Name: Jesse
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by The Roadie » Wed May 02, 2012 10:18 am

Nope. Got an instant-on propane shower unit as well with no time to install, no time to take an expedition at the moment let alone a long weekend let alone a ONE DAY trip to my beloved desert. And no time on the horizon either. FML.
The Roadie
Founder

by Karo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:51 am

James I really like the idea of having a OBW System on longer trips. I´m planing a trip to sweden this year so i need OBW too. Your first picture shows that you have removed the rear seats. Did you have more pictures of the rear platform and how did you have fixed this? As i have no RTT i´ll probably would sleep in the car for the trip to sweden and therefore I´m researching rear platforms without the rear seats. Did you have some more ideas where to look? I wan´t to wait to buy a RTT until the Abenteuer Allrad this year which is after my trip to sweden :D
Karsten
Karo
Trail-Blazer

Name: Karsten
Vehicle Year: 2002

Previous

Return to Camping / Survival