Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Bug-out Vehicle - supplies, checklists, planning

Discussion on how to enjoy the outdoors.

by DirtyBacon04 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:08 pm

And THIS is why its important to not only carry a fire extinguisher, but to also perform regular inspections of your truck.

Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by drwfaulk » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:26 pm

Wow!! What an eye opener!!
drwfaulk
Off-Roader

Name: andrew
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD

by hobbstisdaman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:59 pm

I'm a soldier and would never carry MRE's for survivalist/civilian purposes. Too heavy and take up way to much space. Only way I would carry them is to break them down and just take the main course cold, no heater. So what if the military ones are full of calories? Surviving you'll need more bang for your buck. More calories a meal provides less meals spread out so you can have a larger reserve.

AR is pretty versatile, You can hunt with it and kill with it. For survivalist purposes I would suggest a LAR (RRA makes great ones LAR-8). If the world goes to shit then a .308/7.62 variant of a reliable AR will pretty much solve issues. Hunt Big Game and protect your supplies fairly easily. Rails provide options for lights, lasers, scopes, whatever.
Shoot, Move, Communicate. Build Thread
hobbstisdaman
Trail-Blazer

Name: Grant
Vehicle Year: 2007

by navigator » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:46 am

Grant, maybe I am thinking of something with another name but aren't some MRE just a pouch of something you add water to? It would seem they would be pretty tightly packed. Maybe those are some kind of camping meal that folks loosely refer to as an MRE. When I think of MRE, I was thinking more of the single pouch, just add water. Something to supplement what you can gather/hunt.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:14 am

Mountain house meals?
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by hobbstisdaman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:11 pm

The meal itself you do not add water to. You add water to the heater that warms the meal. MREs come in bulky packages with a bunch of stuff in them I.e. meal dessert snack and a drink like a milkshake or something. The only way they are good for bug out situations would be to just carry the main course without the heater. Saves you from wasting water. The main course is not freeze dried so you don't need water to eat. Just water to hydrate
Shoot, Move, Communicate. Build Thread
hobbstisdaman
Trail-Blazer

Name: Grant
Vehicle Year: 2007

by JPA85 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:38 pm

Most freeze dried meals (aka Mountain House, Richmoor, AlpineAire) need boiling water. I've used cold water before and it didnt turn out well.
JPA85

Name: Jeremy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:41 pm

hobbstisdaman wrote:The meal itself you do not add water to. You add water to the heater that warms the meal. MREs come in bulky packages with a bunch of stuff in them I.e. meal dessert snack and a drink like a milkshake or something. The only way they are good for bug out situations would be to just carry the main course without the heater. Saves you from wasting water. The main course is not freeze dried so you don't need water to eat. Just water to hydrate

The ones I have don't seem too bulky. I have stuffed them in various unused crevices around the truck (under the rear seats for example) so they don't really take up any extra room.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by TangoBravo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:44 pm

I too pack the entire MRE, mostly because I can. I don't have a serious enough space issue to worry about needing to cut back on the size of the MRE package. With that being said after my time spent with the Army and USFS I can agree that for survival just the main course would work fine. My MRE's are basically only there incase for some reason I can't find anything to catch/kill for food because I would rather eat deer or elk, or trout before an MRE. With that said I carry my AR10 and some basic go to fishing equipment because in Wyoming your never far from something to kill or a place to fish.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Upstate Matt » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:15 pm

The Roadie wrote:I have at least LOT anthologized in this from my collection:

Available cheaply on Amazon. Lot's Daughter must be elsewhere, or I read it in the original F&SF magazine, or in another anthology I can't locate at the moment. Sorry.

https://www.amazon.com/Lot-Lots-Daughte ... 748&sr=1-3
Upstate Matt

Name: Matt
Vehicle Year: 2008

Previous

Return to Camping / Survival