Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Gold Camp Road (Victor, Co to Colorado Springs, Co)

Trips/trails in the western part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Mountain Time Zone).
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by gotspeed1 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:08 pm

After looking down at this road every day coming home from work and wondering where it goes, I woke up this morning and decided to feed my curiosity....

Being in the construction blasting industry, these thru cuts amaze me. The was the last one before I found a trail to switch it into four wheel...

Entering the trail... unlike some people, I don't have a second person to take action pics, so you'll have to settle for regular parked photos.

After driving on the trail for about thirty minutes, I ran into a dead end and had to turn around. I passed a few more trailheads on my way down to Colorado Springs but didn't want to try them without another truck there just in case...

And a few more from the main road...

Overall, it was a good drive. I passed by three built FJ's and two built Cherokees, so I know there are more worthy trails on the road. The last eleven miles of the road was full of terrible washboard and potholes, but was a very scenic drive. And finally, my parting shot...
3...2...1....FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Gordinho80 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:42 pm

Nice pics! Looks like a fun ride.

BTW: I like the ORTB stickers over the light covers... :cheers:
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Trail X » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:01 pm

Ugh... east coast scenery doesn't compare.

Thanks for sharing!! :fro:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by gotspeed1 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:07 pm

Gordinho80 wrote:BTW: I like the ORTB stickers over the light covers... :cheers:

Thanks, they looked awfully bare, and Jeff came through for me. Thanks Jeff!!! :cheers:
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

by janesy86 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:58 am

JamesDowning wrote:Ugh... east coast scenery doesn't compare.

No doubt. Every time I see pics from out there, the more and more I want to move there. Plus I love skiin. But great pics man, looks like a fun time!

Also like Gordinho said, thoseORTB stickers on the light covers are hott! :cheers: May have to steal that idea...
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by staticfusion » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:29 am

That last pic is definitely one of my favorites. Nice way to show the scenery and advertise offroadtb. All in favor of adding that to the calender say "I"?? :salut:
staticfusion

DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by AceOfSprings » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:23 am

How do you get there from colorado springs? Looks awesome.
AceOfSprings

Name: David
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Logan » Sat May 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Gold camp road used to connect all the way through but the 3rd tunnel that would allow you to drive straight through has been blocked off for quite a few years now. And on the back side of the mountains, coming from Victor you cant access that road last i was aware. Total bummer. But a good drive is on Rampart range road. From garden of the gods it takes about 45 min to get to the good trails, but you ride along that ridge you can see from the springs as you go back behind the Air Force Academy.
Logan

by gotspeed1 » Sat May 08, 2010 8:29 pm

Logan wrote:Gold camp road used to connect all the way through but the 3rd tunnel that would allow you to drive straight through has been blocked off for quite a few years now. And on the back side of the mountains, coming from Victor you cant access that road last i was aware. Total bummer. But a good drive is on Rampart range road. From garden of the gods it takes about 45 min to get to the good trails, but you ride along that ridge you can see from the springs as you go back behind the Air Force Academy.

Not quite sure if you're refering to the Colorado Springs side but you can go all the way from Victor to The Springs.
How do you get there from colorado springs?

On Highway 24 going toward Woodland Park, there are a couple of signs the take you there. Just follow the signs, be prepared for the washboards halfway to Victor, and stop by the mine around 1:00- !:30 to see a shit ton of rock thrown in the air :finger: :woot: . By the way AceofSprings, I'm assuming you're from the area?
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

by Logan » Sat May 08, 2010 10:00 pm

Right thats the new gold camp road, They had to make a new one after the tunnel collapsed in the 70's or when ever it happened. But the old Gold camp road pretty much stops in the middle of the woods since it's blocked off. Either way the view from gold camp road is amazing.

But I'll be taking leave here in the end of may and coming back to the springs.
Maybe we could hit some trails brotha.
Logan

by HARDTRAILZ » Sat May 08, 2010 10:18 pm

Did you or your tires do that to the front bumper?
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by AceOfSprings » Sun May 09, 2010 8:06 am

gotspeed1 wrote:
Logan wrote:Gold camp road used to connect all the way through but the 3rd tunnel that would allow you to drive straight through has been blocked off for quite a few years now. And on the back side of the mountains, coming from Victor you cant access that road last i was aware. Total bummer. But a good drive is on Rampart range road. From garden of the gods it takes about 45 min to get to the good trails, but you ride along that ridge you can see from the springs as you go back behind the Air Force Academy.

Not quite sure if you're refering to the Colorado Springs side but you can go all the way from Victor to The Springs.
How do you get there from colorado springs?

On Highway 24 going toward Woodland Park, there are a couple of signs the take you there. Just follow the signs, be prepared for the washboards halfway to Victor, and stop by the mine around 1:00- !:30 to see a shit ton of rock thrown in the air :finger: :woot: . By the way AceofSprings, I'm assuming you're from the area?

Actually I just got stationed over at Fort Carson in September, so I'm still pretty new to the area.
AceOfSprings

Name: David

by gotspeed1 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:15 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Did you or your tires do that to the front bumper?

Initially, the bumper was screwed up when my wife rearended someone three weeks after we bought the truck (which coincidentally is why I chose to go up, instead of down). I had it fixed for awhile, but the bigger tires and not enough cutting ruined that fix pretty quick.
Logan wrote:But I'll be taking leave here in the end of may and coming back to the springs.
Maybe we could hit some trails brotha.

PM me if you're gonna be out a about. I'll see if my boss will let me work less than 80 hours that week!! :wallbash: I have yet to meet anybody in person from here or the OS.
AceOfSprings wrote:Actually I just got stationed over at Fort Carson in September, so I'm still pretty new to the area.

I've know a guy that I grew up with that is stationed there...Milliman is the name.
PM me if your gonna go out sometime... I'll try to figure something out.
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Return to Western U.S.