Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Moab/Canyonlands White Rim Trail

Trips/trails in the western part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Mountain Time Zone).
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by hilljb » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:45 pm

After being in Utah two weeks earlier, we were back to run the White Rim Trail around Island in the Sky in Canyonlands National Park.

day1_white_rim.jpg
White Rim from Island in the Sky

Day 1: Denver to Airport B

It takes about six hours to get to Moab from Denver. We experienced heavy rain during some of that. After pulling over in Grand Junction, taking on as much fuel as we could and calling the ranger station in Moab to get the local weather/road report, we decided to enter the trail from Potash Rd. instead of going down the Shafer Trail from Island in the Sky. The latter option is simply too slick (red clay) and dangerous when wet.

day1_start.jpg
Start of the White Rim on Potash Rd.

The whole place was wet, but we decided to go ahead anyway. The White Rim isn't a really tough trail, but the west side can be impossible in wet conditions. Our permits had us entering on the east side and we wouldn't hit the tough mud sections for two days. Knowing that the weather was going to be dry until then, we decided to go for it. We saw two people for the next day as a result, as most who had permits were simply avoiding attempting the trail.

Here's out campsite that night.

day2_wakeup.jpg
Airport B camp
hilljb

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by ErikSS » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:59 pm

REALLY nice pictures. Looks like a good time!
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by hilljb » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:04 pm

Day 2: Airport to Murphy's Hogback A

We left the Airport camp area and headed south the next day. The White Rim Trail is slow, but there aren't really any obstacles that you need to avoid. It's just slow and rocky. The scenery is pretty amazing though, so we never were bored. At times, you drive right on the canyon rim.

day2_cliffside.jpg
White Rim Canyonside driving

We stopped every now and then for a break. Here's our lunch spot.

day2_lunch.jpg
Our lunch spot.

After rounding the south of Island in the Sky, the road became a bit more challenging and even slower. Still, the only real obstacle on the entire road is known as Murphy's Hogback, which is really just a steep climb up a minor butte. It isn't bad, but I was glad that my TB is an automatic at this point. I've seen a video of a Jeep that stalled and crashed on this section. It is steep, but otherwise there wasn't much to worry about. 4-Low handled it without issues.

day2_murphy01.jpg
Murphy's Hogback from the bottom

My girlfriend sometimes refuses to ride in the truck on sections she thinks are dangerous. I joke with her a bit, although her tolerance is getting better. But, I have found that she's willing to take the phone and video those sections.

hilljb

by hilljb » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Day 3: Murphy's Hogback to Potato Bottom A -- MUD

We hit mud big-time on day 3 of the trip. There were a few vehicles (mostly with slick road tires) coming in the opposite direction that were stuck for several hours. Luckily, we made it through without issue. Although, truth be told, I've spent $40 to wash the truck since this trip and I still have clay falling off it.

day3_mud.jpg
Mud at Potato Bottom

Our lunch spot on day three was a bit epic...

day2_parked.jpg
Lunch - Cliff-side
hilljb

by hilljb » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Day 4: Driving Out and Home

We woke up at Potato Bottom and started the drive out. I have to say that this was probably my favorite section of the trail. There are some steep climbs with switchbacks and you're driving alongside the Green River for most of it. We hit a few more muddy sections and crossed a few small rivers, but nothing major. The truck was pretty caked in red mud at this point.

day4_end.jpg
The End of the White Rim Trail - photobombed by a bighorn sheep

The following photo is the first time we hit pavement in 95 miles.

day4_pavement.jpg
Pavement for the first time in 95 miles

We drove to the Island in the Sky visitor center and watched as one person after another pointed at and commented on the truck being so muddy. Here's what the TB looked like sitting in the parking lot there.

day4_mud_on_truck.jpg
One of these things is not like the others...
hilljb

by bartonmd » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:33 pm

Cool! Looks like a great time!

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007