Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Happy Canyon, Utah

Trips/trails in the western part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Mountain Time Zone).
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by hilljb » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:10 am

The main reason I bought/built my Trailblazer is to reach previously unreachable trailheads. We've done some short local trips into the Colorado Front Range lately, but our recent trip to Utah was pretty amazing and I'm going to report on that here.

Recent work on my 2003 Trailblazer:

I replaced a CV axle on the passenger side. Along the way, I noticed that the outer tie rod end was loose. Along the way or replacing the outer tie rod end, I realized that the boot protecting the inner tie rod joint had cracked and exposed the ball joint. So, I replaced both inner and outer tie rod ends. I also went with the Tahoe/Z71 springs in the rear as I was finding that the rear was sagging when the back was loaded. I have also installed a roof rack, although it is currently tied to the factory crossbars and I'm finding those to be a bit wonky. Soon to come: I'm building my own rack crossbars, adding two jerry cans on the tire carrier, and installing a custom bumper and skid plate.

Our recent trip:

Happy Canyon is a remote slot canyon near the maze district of Canyonlands National Park in Utah, usually requiring a 3-day backpacking trip to access. But, a class 3 4x4 road runs within 5 miles of the canyon, so we decided to see if we could visit the canyon on a day hike. We drove in 16 miles from Highway 95 on BLM 15000 and ended up near GPS coordinates 38.11 N and -110.41 W. From here, the road was blocked by rockfall and we continued on foot.

01_happy_canyon_1.jpg
Driving to Happy Canyon from Highway 95

03_happy_canyon_3.jpg
Dirty Devil River Below

We went north along the butte for several miles on foot. We then descended 600 feet to the Dirty Devil River, where we had a very muddy river crossing. After entering the mouth of Happy Canyon, we continued for about 1 kilometer until the canyon narrowed. At that point, we were in the narrows of Happy Canyon, which we had all to ourselves.

I'm going to try to post some photos here from my Flickr account, at least until my photography site is back online.

https://flic.kr/p/tpSbYh

https://flic.kr/p/t39AoZ

We walked about a mile into the canyon, at which point we decided to turn back due to time and weather. We headed back toward the canyon mouth, made our way back across the river and up the butte, then back to the Trailblazer. We drove back toward Highway 95. We didn't see anyone during our entire hike. Using the 4x4 roads turned a 3-day backpacking trip into a long single-day 4x4 drive plus a 10-mile hike.

I took a photo of the Trailblazer next to a balanced rock while my girlfriend found a giant chunk of petrified wood nearby.

02_happy_canyon_2.jpg
Trailblazer near balanced rock
Last edited by hilljb on Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
hilljb

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by hilljb » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:18 am

I've been to many of the slot canyons in Utah, and I'd recommend Happy Canyon as one of the best. It's great that it requires either a 3-day hike or a capable 4x4 vehicle to reach. We had the place all to ourselves. Of course, you do have to do the 10-mile hike from where the road/trail is blocked and you do have to cross the river at the mouth of the canyon.

05_happy_canyon_5.jpg
Crossing the Dirty Devil River

After doing our epic day hike in Happy Canyon, we drove south to Escalante.

06_happy_canyon_6.jpg
Driving Back to Highway 95

While the Trailblazer wasn't required at this point, we used it as a base for exploring other slot canyons.

07_happy_canyon_7.jpg
Driving to Escalante

We ended up exploring 5 slot canyons in 3 days, but Happy Canyon was our favorite. Here's a photo from another nearby slot canyon named Zebra: https://flic.kr/p/tUYLUm
hilljb

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD

by BC backroader » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:21 am

I can see why you want to get to those slot canyons, they're spectacular!

The TrailBlazer is a very capable and comfortable platform to get you to those places that are beyond the average car, and it's great to see how other owners use that ability. Thank you for the write up and photos.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:11 am

Fantastic shooting and great trip Jason! I hope you'll offer up some of those TB shots for the calendar next year. Man, looking at your shots make me want to go back out there... someday. Thanks for posting!!
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:01 am

Nice pics and truck looks good
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Return to Western U.S.