Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

ORTB 5yr Anniversary Event Planning

Trips/trails in the western part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Mountain Time Zone).
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:46 pm

James I hope you can make it, would be a real bummer without you, but if we have at least one founder there it would still be great. Maybe Bill could convince teebes to show....not likely but it would be cool!

On to the date then, is 20th-23rd/24th a good date? I like these days but am flexible.

Couple of things to discuss:

1. I think Bill's got the right idea of reusing his resources for this, it's going to cost enough as it is, why waste extra $$ that we don't need to.

2. Do we want to base camp or TECORE style it and make a new camp daily? Both have +/-'s

3. What routes do we want to take and areas to see, this may depend on how we decide to camp.

4. Meeting place and time we roll out to the trails.

5. List of must brings I.E.-Recovery gear, spare parts, fuel, craft beer and so on. I know most of this is simple but we should probably go over it before we get there.

Once we know the when, where and how we can post it to the forum with dates, itinerary, packing list suggestions, the sooner the better, maybe even post it when we get the dates and update it when we decide on the rest.

And I know a few of us have Spot locators so it would be cool for others to be able to follow or at least see where we went.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by mikekey » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:47 pm

I'm confused about those dates, are you planning on being there on Saturday morning the 20th of Sept?

1.) Guess I won't share mine.

2.) You're going to want to TECORE it, unless the plan is to spend the entire time in one park??

3.) This is more important than where you camp, you've got it backwards. Figure this out, then decide where to camp.

4.) See previous opinions on this topic.

5.) Very important, we shouldn't even let some folks come with us if they don't have a spare tire (WITH AIR IN IT), a way to fix their tire, spare fuel, etc. Perhaps even certain basic spare parts? Tie Rods for example? Maybe even a certain amount of water. I prefer to err on the side of people being stupid. As a group, it makes sense that we would help each other out. But we don't' want to be bailing out someone who came totally unprepared on purpose. It's like the way we expect noobs to do their research. Showing up without a spare tire means your a moron from the start. :lurk: Too harsh?

Let's get the dates and the areas down and start a thread, and then add additional information as we work on the logistics. I'm also in favor of the idea of having multiple routes, because we could split up. The guys who want to do more challenging things can go down one trail, while the others go down another, and then meet up at the camp site.

It might even be a better idea to not allow posting in the thread (maybe an announcement) so it doesn't end up 50 pages like the TECORE threads, and create a separate thread and different way to sign up for it? This way when people read it, they get all the info they need.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:05 pm

mikekey wrote:I'm confused about those dates, are you planning on being there on Saturday morning the 20th of Sept?

1.) Guess I won't share mine.

2.) You're going to want to TECORE it, unless the plan is to spend the entire time in one park??

3.) This is more important than where you camp, you've got it backwards. Figure this out, then decide where to camp.

4.) See previous opinions on this topic.

5.) Very important, we shouldn't even let some folks come with us if they don't have a spare tire (WITH AIR IN IT), a way to fix their tire, spare fuel, etc. Perhaps even certain basic spare parts? Tie Rods for example? Maybe even a certain amount of water. I prefer to err on the side of people being stupid. As a group, it makes sense that we would help each other out. But we don't' want to be bailing out someone who came totally unprepared on purpose. It's like the way we expect noobs to do their research. Showing up without a spare tire means your a moron from the start. :lurk: Too harsh?

Let's get the dates and the areas down and start a thread, and then add additional information as we work on the logistics. I'm also in favor of the idea of having multiple routes, because we could split up. The guys who want to do more challenging things can go down one trail, while the others go down another, and then meet up at the camp site.

It might even be a better idea to not allow posting in the thread (maybe an announcement) so it doesn't end up 50 pages like the TECORE threads, and create a separate thread and different way to sign up for it? This way when people read it, they get all the info they need.

Not sure why the dates are confusing, they are not even set, wasn't aware Utah closed on Saturday, dates are up for discussion. 20th-23rd was mentioned once before along with a few other dates and at least one other person seemed to like it, I am somewhat flexible so let my know what you guys think would be good dates

1. Of course we can use your experience and resources too Mike, Didn't mean to offend, we know you're a sensitive guy. :finger:

2. That would be my opinion too, but base camping was mentioned so I thought we should at least give those in favor of it a voice.

3. Did not put these in order of importance.

4. I liked your idea

5. Agreed
NC_IslandRunner

by mikekey » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:22 pm

I'm wondering if the 20th is the start of the event. As in we'd hit the trails that day.

Last time I used 7 vacation days. Taking off a Friday thru the week to the following Monday. That gave me 11 days on the road. I'm just trying to plan which days of the week I'd want to take off to maximize my days off for the year.

We're expanding at my work, they're relocating the Paris office to the states, moving our offices and plan to hire 10 new people in May. They've already dumped working from home for all the new hires, and I'm concerned that with the CEO here, the lack policy on vacation time is about to go out the window. In the past, my boss hasn't cared about taking days off. Almost all of us have gone over our actual allowed time off. We don't do time cards, but it's a concern that as we grow, we're going to become more corp and my time off is going to get scrutinized.

Just trying to plan. :finger:
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Yeah I was thinking of starting on the 20th, I would get there on the 19th. I know how you feel, my work just relocated corporate from Mississauga Canada to just outside Atlanta GA, Moved R&D to our site. My schedule changed Jan. 1st this year, I now work mostly 8hr days except for 12s on 2 weekends a month. but now I get 15 vacation days instead of 10. I'm trying to maximize mine days off too, this trip will take 7 vacation days and I'll have 13 total days off.
NC_IslandRunner

by mikekey » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:25 pm

I assume you're taking the Thursday and Friday plus the following week? Heading back by Sunday?
mikekey
Lifer

by fishsticks » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:35 pm

Here's my take:

1. I'm a follower for this one. Guys here have done a lot more research already than I have.

2. I vote for TECORE style mobile camps.

3. See number 1.

4. I like the idea of travel over the weekend and officially "starting" on a Monday. Then finishing up Friday and using the weekend to travel home. Of course I probably have one of the shortest drives and the most flexible schedule, so feel free to ignore me. :finger:

5. I can borrow back the 120mm ammo can filled with TB spares that went to the new owners of my TB. Also, my wheels/tires/spare are compatible with anyone who has 6x5.5 adapters and I can probably bring an extra 35 on a 6x5 wheel if we think we need it. My toolset is geared for Toyota stuff now but I can throw some TB specific items in.

I need to brush up on carry laws for Utah... Reciprocity shouldn't be an issue for me at least.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by mikekey » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:55 pm

fishsticks wrote:Here's my take:

1. I'm a follower for this one. Guys here have done a lot more research already than I have.

2. I vote for TECORE style mobile camps.

3. See number 1.

4. I like the idea of travel over the weekend and officially "starting" on a Monday. Then finishing up Friday and using the weekend to travel home. Of course I probably have one of the shortest drives and the most flexible schedule, so feel free to ignore me. :finger:

5. I can borrow back the 120mm ammo can filled with TB spares that went to the new owners of my TB. Also, my wheels/tires/spare are compatible with anyone who has 6x5.5 adapters and I can probably bring an extra 35 on a 6x5 wheel if we think we need it. My toolset is geared for Toyota stuff now but I can throw some TB specific items in.

I need to brush up on carry laws for Utah... Reciprocity shouldn't be an issue for me at least.

I personally am leaning more towards the same of travel over weekend, start on Monday. But I'd be willing if it's convenient for a majority of people to take Thursday & Friday off. I'd rather not. Although starting on Sunday is also an idea I like.

Utah allows unlicensed open carry of a firearm that is at least 2 actions from firing. For example, a semi-auto may have a full mag but the chamber must be empty. Permit holder may open carry as well, but their firearms may be fully loaded. Utah you can open carry in your vehicle or concealed just like in your home.
mikekey
Lifer

by mikekey » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:02 pm

I think most folks might be follower for awhile. Might only be 2-4 of us that can agree on a date, and might just have to post up the dates and initial plan and then see who joins us as we work on the finer details of trails and such.

I originally planned to go out there in August. So unless my Trailblazer burns down or the christians finally get the end of the world right, we'll be going out there or aliens invade or we start WW3 with Iran, I'll be going for sure and willing to help organize and coordinate on the ground. And I'm sure Rory is already thinking the same thing. :thumright:
mikekey
Lifer

by Trail X » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:23 pm

NC_IslandRunner wrote:Not sure why the dates are confusing, they are not even set, wasn't aware Utah closed on Saturday, dates are up for discussion. 20th-23rd was mentioned once before along with a few other dates and at least one other person seemed to like it, I am somewhat flexible so let my know what you guys think would be good dates

I think I originally threw them out as the planned dates for my conference in phoenix.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by djthumper » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:45 pm

Umm Utah closes on Sundays...
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:17 pm

I can do the travel on weekend and wheel mon-fri, that works for me.

With my schedule it limits me to the week of the 22nd-26th.

the earliest I can start travel is the 14th and I need to be home by the 3rd of oct., Just the schedule I need to fit this into if possible, so flexible but limited.
NC_IslandRunner

by v7guy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:03 am

I'd be down for wheeling 20/21/22/23rd... that's Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon for the lazy

There doesn't seem to be much opposition to these dates from what I've seen here and they just so happen to work well for me. lol With that said we could spend more time there if there's a desire.

Everyone would need to be in town the night of the 19th, then we could set off at 8am on the 20th
We could call the end of the event the morning of the 24th
that gives us 4 nights camping and four days exploring.

As far as planning of actual trails. I'm gonna defer to Mike and Bill, they have the materials, they've been there, I'm just coming along for the scenery and company. Since Donny isn't opposed to it, I'd prefer a mobile campsite and it would seem that's the consensus, we should probably go that route.

Concerning spares, I would think it's fairly straight forward. CVs, hub, TRE, spare tire (doesn't everyone carry a spare tire?), fluids, some extra gas, full set of tools. With that said, Mike may be right. Spelling it out is probably a good idea. It'll avoid anyone being wrecklessly unprepared and we should be able to handle any potential repairs. I don't think Mike is being too harsh at all.
I'll have a couple a arms, a disconnect, CV axle, hub, tie rods (stock and 2500HD) etc

They have pretty strict guidelines for camp fires (fire bowls) from my understanding and wood is apparently scarce, do we have suggestions on that?

So for the announcement we're looking at something along the lines of...

Offroadtb 5 year anniversary event in Moab Utah

September 20-24
4 days of wheeling and four nights of camping.

Departing The Red Stone Inn at 8 am Sept 20th (it's one of the few places that isn't several hundred a night and it's available on the 19th.)
http://www.moabredstone.com/accommodations/

Required gear/supplies
Cb Radio
Fuel
Water
Oil
Power steering fluid
Spare parts: 1 front hub, 1 tie rod (inner and outer) 1 CV axle (maybe we should toss ball joints in too) 1 spare tire
tire repair kit
zip ties
1 recovery strap
1 tow strap
1 tree saver strap
I recovery point front and rear
2 case 24 pk bottled water (or maybe specify a gal amount)
1 5lb bag of sugarless gummy bears
shovel
toilet paper
etc

Recommended

sleeping bag
tent
camp chair
beer/alcohol
non perishable food: canned goods, dried food, MREs etc (be prepared to not see a grocery store for 4 days)

I'm sure there's plenty I'm not really considering at the moment. Maybe we can add to this template and make an announcement sometime this/next week?
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:56 am

I have a truck bed and live in Washington. I can make wood happen.

Also, add 1 gal (128oz) of Tuscan Whole Milk to the supplies list. Need to wash down those gummy bears.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:19 am

mikekey wrote:I assume you're taking the Thursday and Friday plus the following week? Heading back by Sunday?

This is how my schedule would look if we did these dates, my brother is planning on coming with me so he will help drive and with the extra time on the way back we may swing out and hit some other stuff too.

Thurs/Fri-18/19th vacation
Sat/sun-20/21st off
mon-friday-22-26th vacation
Sat-tues- 27-30th off

v7guy wrote:I'd be down for wheeling 20/21/22/23rd... that's Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon for the lazy

There doesn't seem to be much opposition to these dates from what I've seen here and they just so happen to work well for me. lol With that said we could spend more time there if there's a desire.

Everyone would need to be in town the night of the 19th, then we could set off at 8am on the 20th

As far as planning of actual trails. I'm gonna defer to Mike and Bill, they have the materials, they've been there, I'm just coming along for the scenery and company. Since Donny isn't opposed to it, I'd prefer a mobile campsite and it would seem that's the consensus, we should probably go that route.

Concerning spares, I would think it's fairly straight forward. CVs, hub, TRE, spare tire (doesn't everyone carry a spare tire?), fluids, some extra gas, full set of tools. With that said, Mike may be right. Spelling it out is probably a good idea. It'll avoid anyone being wrecklessly unprepared and we should be able to handle any potential repairs. I don't think Mike is being too harsh at all.
I'll have a couple a arms, a disconnect, CV axle, hub, tie rods (stock and 2500HD) etc

They have pretty strict guidelines for camp fires (fire bowls) from my understanding and wood is apparently scarce, do we have suggestions on that?

So for the announcement we're looking at something along the lines of...

Offroadtb 5 year anniversary event in Moab Utah

September 20-24

Departing The Red Stone Inn at 8 am Sept 20th (it's one of the few places that isn't several hundred a night and it's available on the 19th.)

Required gear/supplies
beer/alcohol
Cb Radio
Fuel
Water
Oil
Power steering fluid
Spare parts: 1 front hub, 1 tie rod (inner and outer) 1 CV axle (maybe we should toss ball joints in too) 1 spare tire
tire repair kit
zip ties
1 recovery strap
1 tow strap
1 tree saver strap
shovel
toilet paper
etc

Recommended

sleeping bag
tent
camp chair

non perishable food: canned goods, dried food, MREs etc (be prepared to not see a grocery store for 4 days)

I'm sure there's plenty I'm not really considering at the moment. Maybe we can add to this template and make an announcement sometime this/next week?

Jason, I fixed that for you, you need to get your priorities in order. :finger:
NC_IslandRunner

by mikekey » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:20 am

djthumper wrote:Umm Utah closes on Sundays...

Well actually just the heavily mormon areas you'll find that stores are closed on Sundays. State Parks and the National Parks are still open. Moab is a bit like Asheville, N.C if anyone's been to Asheville, it's a bit of a hippie spot. And tends to be less conservative, so I think you'll find most things there open on Sunday.

v7guy wrote:I'd be down for wheeling 20/21/22/23rd... that's Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon for the lazy

Got your dates to days backwards, lol. :poke:

Sat. Sept. 20 - Official start date - 8am or something, maybe we should do a group breakfast? Then roll out. We'll need to account for getting into the park and backcountry permits. If we are doing Canyonlands, it's first come first serve. :(
Sun Sept. 21
Mon Sept. 22
Tues Sept. 23

I think these are good dates.

v7guy wrote:As far as planning of actual trails. I'm gonna defer to Mike and Bill, they have the materials, they've been there, I'm just coming along for the scenery and company. Since Donny isn't opposed to it, I'd prefer a mobile campsite and it would seem that's the consensus, we should probably go that route.

I'll have to go back thru my books and talk with Bill, I know what we did in each park, but I'm not sure what's going to be best for all of us. My thought is probably to have a bunch of things lined up. Plan A, B, C, D. I'm thinking two groups might be a good idea, or at least plan on it, and see who shows up. Maybe the I'm scared group and the Beast Mode group, lol.

v7guy wrote:Concerning spares, I would think it's fairly straight forward. CVs, hub, TRE, spare tire (doesn't everyone carry a spare tire?), fluids, some extra gas, full set of tools. With that said, Mike may be right. Spelling it out is probably a good idea. It'll avoid anyone being wrecklessly unprepared and we should be able to handle any potential repairs. I don't think Mike is being too harsh at all.

:Iagree:

We need to emphasis that there is no getting towed out of a couple of these places. For example, if we did the Needles district, there are abandoned vehicles in there. A tow can cost close to $3000.00 ++ I'm not joking.

Luckily we'll be in a group, rather than alone.

v7guy wrote:They have pretty strict guidelines for camp fires (fire bowls) from my understanding and wood is apparently scarce, do we have suggestions on that?

Well it's been a year now, but when we were there a strict NO BURN was in effect. We'll have to see what the deal is when we get there. Hopefully we can have one. The first place we had a fire during our trip was Zion.

v7guy wrote:Offroadtb 5 year anniversary event in Moab Utah

September 20-24

Required gear/supplies
Cb Radio
Fuel
Water
Oil
Power steering fluid
tire repair kit
zip ties
1 recovery strap
1 tow strap
1 tree saver strap
shovel
toilet paper
etc

Recommended

sleeping bag
tent
camp chair
beer/alcohol

Let's get it posted by the 1st at least.

Lastly, do we know which area we're doing first? I mean, I just keep assuming Caynonlands, but maybe you mean Beef Basin or Mineral Trail or something. We should decide at least where we are going for day 1 and spending the night, to really excite folks. And then just tell them the full itinerary is coming.
mikekey
Lifer

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:50 am

If the dates are solid I can go ahead and post something like this and blend in or use what Jason posted.

ORTB.com 5year anniversary event!

MOAB, UT

Sept-20th-24th 2014 - 4 nights & 5 days

We are planning a event to celebrate this milestone of our forum and it's members!

This cost nothing to attend other than paying your own way like any other trip. We will post how/where to get permits and costs as soon as we can, just getting these dates out here so anyone who wants to attend has time to plan and save, we know this is a big trip for most members.

The event will begin the morning of Saturday September 20th, meeting at The Red Stone Inn at 8 am Sept 20th (it's one of the few places that isn't several hundred a night and it's available on the 19th.)

We will meet for breakfast, make sure everyone has necessary permits and passes and decide who will be going where.

working on multiple itineraries for easy or more challenging trails. We will post these up when they are ready.

Required gear/supplies-Thanks Jason for this list!
Cb Radio
Fuel
Water
Oil
Power steering fluid
tire repair kit
zip ties
1 recovery strap
1 tow strap
1 tree saver strap
shovel
toilet paper
etc

Recommended

sleeping bag
tent
camp chair
beer/alcohol

This is a info thread only, we will start a sign-up thread shortly
NC_IslandRunner

by mikekey » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:00 am

I was just thinking, we should require MINIMUM LIFT of 2 inches, and both radiator and oil skids to attend. I can't count the times that Radiator skid probably saved us from our front end banging on everything. And we did it with 30.5inch tires and 2 inches of lift. Which might be a minimum.

I dunno, do we want to shun or make it open to all ? Does it even matter ?
mikekey
Lifer

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:23 am

Anyone can come, just need keep the rigs on the rides they can handle. I don't mind if someone needs a tug but you don't want to end up dragging someone around that wasn't prepared.
NC_IslandRunner

by mikekey » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:34 am

BTW, just checked with JorDanee, that's the hotel we stayed in when we got lighting storm chased out of Canyonlands, lol. It's alright.
mikekey
Lifer

PreviousNext

Return to Western U.S.