Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

ORTB 5yr Anniversary Event Planning

Trips/trails in the western part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Mountain Time Zone).
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by Trail X » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:48 pm

That sucks Jason. Might have to make your own trip out there with the wife.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bgwolfpack » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:53 pm

v7guy wrote:As of now I can't go, for the first time in 7 years I couldn't get a date in Sept. I'm still waiting to see if there's someone I can swap with, but it doesn't look good.
Hopefully you will find someone to swap with. I know you've been excited about this. Best of luck.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by v7guy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:42 am

Woohoo, as of tonight I managed to get the days off, pretty excited.

Have you guys given any more thought to the trails we wanna check out? I've been reading a bit hear and there, there's definitely no shortage of options
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by navigator » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:13 am

I know I don't have a horse in the race but I think you guys really need to at least get a save the dates thread out there so folks can start reserving their vacation dates.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by v7guy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:19 am

Chris,

isn't that what the sticky at the top of every forum is?

Or are you talking about a sign up?

I think the sign up is going to be dependent on what trails we are running and the capability of peoples rigs. That's why I was curious if other guys have been looking at trails we were going to hit up.

The specific trails are probably the next biggest determining factor after the dates and it's something else we should probably be pretty focused on hammering out in the next couple weeks.

If we're just running Buckhorn Mesa or Bull canyon type stuff then a stock truck could rock it. Something like Copper Ridge is probably what the average lifted trailblazer/envoy could run and then there's probably only a few of us that would tackle something like Moab Rim.

Outside of the core group of us, peoples willingness to commit will likely hinge on this stuff.
build thread

v7guy

by navigator » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:54 am

you're right, I had to go look for it.
I mostly use the "view active topics" so the stickies don't really show up.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by mikekey » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:26 am

I had made a point in bold red font for folks to not post they're chatter or opinions in it like they do the TECORE thread which usually turns into multiple pages of off topic discussion.

We need to plan the trails, I dunno who is doing that. I volunteered to help, but so far there has been no coordination between those who are suppose to be putting this together. I have no idea if Rory or someone else is looking at trails. I planned on offering some suggestions when I get more time to research, but I won't have a lot of time until April first.

I only know a few trails that are Tecore level and one batshit scare the crap out of you, kinda passable but you are stupid doing it alone trail in Capitol Reef. The pleasant creek trail, where I almost tipped the Trailblazer over a cliff and multiple places where the road was almost washed away and you were driving with your tire on a cliff.

I barely get time in between work tasks to post on the site this month.

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind researching the easier routes myself, more focused on what there is to see, and then post up those suggestions, and then maybe someone like Bill if he's willing, could find some more technical things.

Anyone else willing to find trails, lets get to it. But if this is going to happen there needs to be some more discussion and cross coordination and not just wishing and hoping someone else is going to do it.

Just my .02 cents.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by The Roadie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:23 pm

I am definitely good for planning and coordination since I have all the useful books and maps and invested a couple of weeks planning for my last trip when I had a mildly lifted truck with me that we left behind a couple of days.

The challenge will be choosing trails from 2-3 weeks worth of alternatives, and some of that can't be done until we know the range of capabilities and experience that attendees are going to bring. And if they want to be challenged and coaxed along if they get stuck.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by bgwolfpack » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:29 pm

Excellent Bill. Seeing what you come up with is exciting.

I strongly suggest everyone strive to research on his own. I have been studying on-line and really wearing out Traildamage.com. Many trails will challenge the 80% of us who do not have our Senior’s skill. Make a plan yourself to present to the group as to what you would like to tackle while in Moab.

This is a long and expensive journey for nearly all who will attend and the best trip will be one without incident. Prepare for the drive itself and be ready with all gear needed while there. The weakest link will be anyone showing up without the proper set-up in their truck. We will be far from any real help beyond us. No one wants to be the weak link in the chain.

Prepare.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:25 am

I've been reading a lot on traildamage, trying to string trails together is more difficult that it seems, I'll see what I can come up with and hope it helps. :safari: :safari: :safari: :safari: :safari: :safari:
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory

by v7guy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:44 am

I've been reading a lil bit while I have a lull in work. I'm also running into issues like Rory, stringing together some good trails isn't easy and I haven't even considered camping.

I'm relatively interested in Golden Spike, which is right off of Poison spider mesa trail and moves into Gold bar rim, it's not too far from the hotel meet up. The combo seems to be pretty well liked and the biggest worries are rocker and bumper damage from the angles, plus there's fossilized dinosaur foot prints, hell yeah! For most of us that would go the tires and rocker protection shouldn't be any issue. It would be a long day by TECORE standards, but it would be a good day from the sounds of it. http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=28

It's my suggestion for a first day.

The tighter trails may be a issue for guys that are SAS or the like, so if any of em are coming we should probably know and plan accordingly.

Speaking of such, does anyone have ideas for a structured sign up? Do we make a post and state it's a sign up only, no chatter? Is it global on the board?
At some point we're going to need to make a thread for the general questions and chatter. People are likely to be hesitant given there's no itinerary yet with our recommendations of mods.
build thread

v7guy

by fishsticks » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:23 pm

I am now out for sure. The wife and I are calling it quits. Need to deal with selling the house and whatnot this year.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:20 pm

That sucks man, Hope everything goes smoothly, buddy of mine had a hell of a time when he and his ex split.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory

by fishsticks » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:31 pm

It's civil and no one is storming out of the house with a basket of laundry or anything. We've been separated 3 times in the past. Just tired of neither of us being happy.

The joke between us is that we will be "consciously uncoupling" like Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin. :mrgreen:
fishsticks

by The Roadie » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:57 pm

Sorry to hear, Donny. Was it the avatar? :oops:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Sucks man. Good luck!
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by fishsticks » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:30 pm

The Roadie wrote:Sorry to hear, Donny. Was it the avatar? :oops:

Yes it's all your fault! :finger:
fishsticks

by v7guy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:49 am

no good Donny, no good... from all perspectives.

hope it works out with minimum drama.
build thread

v7guy

by mikekey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:34 am

Well, that sucks. I always think about how difficult that process has got to be of unseparating everything. Marriage is expensive, women cost a lot. But they're the only ones with the honey pot if you're not into butt adventures. Is this humor inappropriate? :friday: Lets just all drink beer.

I love this video.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003

by bgwolfpack » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:09 am

v7guy wrote:I've been reading a lil bit while I have a lull in work. I'm also running into issues like Rory, stringing together some good trails isn't easy and I haven't even considered camping.

I'm relatively interested in Golden Spike, which is right off of Poison spider mesa trail and moves into Gold bar rim, it's not too far from the hotel meet up. The combo seems to be pretty well liked and the biggest worries are rocker and bumper damage from the angles, plus there's fossilized dinosaur foot prints, hell yeah! For most of us that would go the tires and rocker protection shouldn't be any issue. It would be a long day by TECORE standards, but it would be a good day from the sounds of it. http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=28

It's my suggestion for a first day.

The tighter trails may be a issue for guys that are SAS or the like, so if any of em are coming we should probably know and plan accordingly.

Speaking of such, does anyone have ideas for a structured sign up? Do we make a post and state it's a sign up only, no chatter? Is it global on the board?
At some point we're going to need to make a thread for the general questions and chatter. People are likely to be hesitant given there's no itinerary yet with our recommendations of mods.

Do we have a go live date for a sign up thread for this?
bgwolfpack
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Western U.S.