Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed: P&AC Line, Limestone Kiln (Northern AZ)

Trips/trails in the western part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Mountain Time Zone).
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by KE7WOX » Fri May 24, 2013 9:11 pm

A few months ago, one of my friends wanted to explore a very old railroad grade, the Prescott & Arizona Central (pre-1900s, narrow gauge). This railroad ran between Seligman (Prescott Junction, back in the day) down to Prescott. Information on it is scarce and very little is left. I was in Sedona (by the time the plan came to fruit I was near Clarkdale) so instead of taking the highway back to town I took Perkinsville Rd all the way to Drake, very likely saving quite a bit of time.

We started off SR-89 on FR-573 and only traveled 6.5 or so miles. The road can be very seasonal and go from Ok, 2WD, to soft mud, to deep ruts. It wasn't too bad, but the recent monsoon had left the road with plenty of ruts everywhere, but quite smooth.

The first stop was a pullout where we left the trucks and started hiking on the right of way. I believe the right of way goes all the way behind the kiln and can be walked all the way, before it merges onto the road. We walked around and then headed back.

Second stop was the limestone kiln (More info here http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/puntenney.html )

We made a few stops along the way to take photos and check out remnants of the line. Part of the old alignment is now the road, and parts of it are not and the grades are moderately visible. There are no trestles left, and unless you know the railroad used to run there, it's not very obvious that it was one. That said, for something that hasn't existed since before 1900, it's a lot more obvious than other grades like the old wye at Alto.

The road continues north and eventually becomes paved, at that point it's called Bullock Rd and it ends at SR-89 just a couple of miles south of the highway's terminus at I-40/Ash Fork. I suppose it's named after a Mr. Bullock, who owned the P&AC. I believe there is also a way to get to Williamson Valley Rd, which runs from Prescott all the way to Seligman, or to the Crookton Rd/US-66 overpass (this based on what a guy said, that he had left I-40 at the Crookton exit and had traveled mostly on dirt).

General area: West of SR-89, near Hell Canyon / Drake
Topos: Paulden, Meath Spring

Photos and maps to follow soon.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by KE7WOX » Fri May 24, 2013 9:28 pm

Maps

Started off SR-89. Bright pink line is the approximate hike path

TAP - Turn Around Point. The approximate point near the creek/river where we turned around, there used to be a trestle crossing what today is the road.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004

by BrendatheBlazer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:14 pm

Nice this looks fun! Do you have any photos?

I was just out exploring another ghost town (Swansea) and mineral wash on my way to Lake Havasu this last weekend. Lots of fun OHV trails out there.

Good to see another TB exploring Arizona.
BrendatheBlazer
Cruiser

Name: Shane
Vehicle Year: 2003

Return to Western U.S.