Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Arches National Park, part of White Rim and Steelbender

Trips/trails in the western part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Mountain Time Zone).
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by gotspeed1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm going to title this experience "The things I've learned from Moab", because in the few days I spent there, there were many life lessons learned. Instead of going back to Nebraska like we usually do for my vacations, we decided to go on a short expedition to the Moab area. First off, some pictures.

Arches National Park
We didn't take any trails here, but the views were something worth seeing...

White Rim Trail
We went into this knowing that the trail was 100 miles long, and had no plan to take the whole thing. We just wanted to go down some of it and camp for the night.

Lesson #1- You can't just camp wherever on the trail (here in Colorado, I'm pretty sure you can). There are a few camping sites along the trail, but none are very close to river access, which is what we wanted so we could do some fishing.

For the most part it was a good drive. We followed a Chrysler 300C for a short time until he got smart and turned around. We went to the Lathrop Canyon turn off and decided to turn around and head up to Horsethief campground for the night.

Campsite the next morning at Horsethief...

After White Rim took a good part of our day, I told my wife we would spend the next day hanging out and fishing.

Lesson #2- Don't tell the wife something you're not sure will happen.

We woke up the next morning and headed to Ken's Lake right outside of Moab. The plan after some research was to go up and hang out at the waterfall for a bit, run Steelbender (which was supposed to be ten miles and end at the city limits of Moab), and come back to set up camp at Ken's Lake by 6:00p.m. Yeah right!

Lesson #3- Make sure your supplies are plentiful. We didn't have a problem with this one, considering we had our three year old and our dog with us, we pack like normal paranoid parents.

Waterfall...

Steelbender...

GAME OVER!!!
This obstacle, known as "The Wall" had four foot ledges and a nice steep drop off on the approach side. I gave it a half-heartedattempt, but once I started slipping off to the side, I admitted defeat and went back the other way. The worst part of it was that that obstacle was the last one before the end of the trail. Unfortunately going over it was impossible and there was no way around it.

We headed back to the way we came so we could set up camp in the dark. The trail proved to be a little bit more difficult this way but the TB handled it well for the most part. That was until 9:40p.m. Going down a steep section of the trail, 3/4 of a mile from the end, I got to far to the inside, caught a rock, and snapped my lower ball joint.

Lesson #4- Carry as many of the little parts as possible. You may not think you'll ever need them, but someday you will.

We made the decision to sleep in the truck for the night and start out walking in the morning. We left the next morning toward Moab with absolutely no idea how we were going to get the truck, but assumed there would be someone who could tell us.

Lesson #5-Bring more water than you ever think you'll use.

We walked from 3/4 of a mile into Steelbender to the nearest gas station. It ended up being somewhere between 8-10 miles. Needless to say, a backpack full of water, a three year old that was done walking after a mile, and a dog was quite the experience. We got to Nation's Towing in Moab where they got one of their guy's who had a buggy on 42's to go out and fix the TB in the field. Two hours and $525 later the TB was moving again.

A big thanks goes out to Nation's Towing for there helpfulness. If anyone is ever in a bind in the area, I would highly recommend them.

Hope you all enjoy and take some of these lessons with you next time you're out, whether far or close to home. :cheers:
3...2...1....FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by gotspeed1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Forgot to put the trail damage in the write up. This is what was visible, not counting the underside of the truck. Mike will be getting a PM soon.
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

by Trail X » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:16 pm

Yowsa!

Excellent writeup, really enjoyed reading it. Lots of good lessons to be learned. I honestly would have never thought the LBJ would snap. Of all things!!
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Diacom » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Looks like it was an excellent trip. Shame on the damage, but atleast it's a good excuse to do some upgrading.

Now that I've done DTC, I'd like to hit up Moab sometime in the future. Your pics are nothing short of inspiring.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:17 am

Nice write-up, Awesome pics :awesome: :awesome:
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by The Roadie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:03 am

You were carrying a LBJ spare with you?!?!? Damn, now I won't feel safe without the entire lower control arm. :o :shock: I already carry a UCA because Greg broke one once while I wasn't carrying a spare, and AAA had to tow him 100 miles to my house to fix it. (Or I would have had a 200 mile round trip to go get it, which I would have done gladly because he did a 200 mile round trip for a tie rod end for me once.

I did Fins and Things while in the area, but not Steelbender.

Were you aired down?

A FANTASTIC writeup and cautionary tale on why you need some cash reserves and a good attitude, and supplies to not turn a broken bit into a life-threatening emergency. Wish I'd been there with ya.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by fishsticks » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:13 am

Here I was thinking I was the only one breaking axles... well done sir. :thumright: And the LBJ! I'm with Bill... nervous now.

Front fenders are EASY to pound out with the plastic liners taken out. Ask me how I know. ;)
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by navigator » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:28 am

$525 seems like a lot but you couldn't have spent a week in a hotel for that.
Nice pics and a good writeup.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by bartonmd » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:24 am

Wow, cool trip and lessons learned!

Glad everybody came out OK!

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:32 am

Nice Trip! Definitely makes me think a little more about what kind of spare parts I want to have laying around, and why buying the tools may be more beneficial than renting.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by The Roadie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:22 am

navigator wrote:$525 seems like a lot ....
Minimum call-out for an off-road recovery, to get you back to pavement, in Anza-Borrego desert, is $700, I've read. If you don't have enough of your own buddies to bring you parts for a suspension failure and a way to contact them. Either you wheel with a vehicle worth less than $700, or you need to have that much in reserves to support your hobby. Or don't break down, I guess. :salut:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Trail X » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:41 am

gotspeed1 wrote:Image

Regarding the LBJ... I'm wondering if a "trail fix" for something like this would be to get back on solid ground, then set the LBJ back into the knuckle. Then maybe wrap it with chain to keep it from coming apart? It could probably be driven very slow with it just set into the knuckle... as long as you don't lift the tire off the ground.

Also, looks like your CV shaft is fine... just a popped boot. That can probably be reused after a bit of cleaning.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by gotspeed1 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:44 pm

The Roadie wrote:You were carrying a LBJ spare with you?!?!? Damn, now I won't feel safe without the entire lower control arm. :o :shock: I already carry a UCA because Greg broke one once while I wasn't carrying a spare, and AAA had to tow him 100 miles to my house to fix it. (Or I would have had a 200 mile round trip to go get it, which I would have done gladly because he did a 200 mile round trip for a tie rod end for me once.

I did Fins and Things while in the area, but not Steelbender.

Were you aired down?

A FANTASTIC writeup and cautionary tale on why you need some cash reserves and a good attitude, and supplies to not turn a broken bit into a life-threatening emergency. Wish I'd been there with ya.

No, I wasn't carrying a LBJ, but the towing shop ordered me one from carquest (amazed they had one and were open on Labor Day). I did air down to around 25psi from 40psi. I don't think there is any way I would have made it over a lot of the obstacles if I hadn't.

@James- I thought about I quick trail fix doing that exact thing (only with a few ratchet straps), but with the amount of light, patience, ect. I thought it best to just sleep in the truck over night. The thought didn't cross my mind that next morning until we were over half way there.
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Return to Western U.S.