Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Mytogee Mtn and Fishlake Hightop trip.

Trips/trails in the western part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Mountain Time Zone).
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by BSalty » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:01 am

This was our annual camping trip to Fish Lake, this year scheduling sucks so we went early, it is normally a late Sept trip. My father in law brought his quads along so we could all have some trail time together.

This mountain and the roads there are the #1 reason I lifted. I have been stuck and unable to negotiate many of these roads in stock trim, so this was the first test of my set up. While I couldn't do all the roads I wanted to, there was only one I couldn't do, guess its time for that locker. :D Where we camp it is roughly 9000 ft, some of the roads we went on crest just over 11,000 ft.

Sorry for the pics, my wife is 6+ months pregnant and she is my photographer, she didn't feel like getting out of the truck very much (understandable) so most of these are of scenery pics either hanging the camera out the window and snapping, or through the windshield. I am going back at the end of Sept. for a coyote hunt with my friend so we will try to get some good pics of the action then.

Here is our camp spot.

This sneaky little dude stole this right off our picnic table as we were setting up for supper our first night. Greedy lil bugger! Its twice his size!

The next morning we went up to the peak of Fish Lake Mountain called "Fish Lake Hightop" Its over 11k feet at the top. My father in law and I rode his quads up with my oldest son, while my wife, mother in law, and my two other kids rode with her in the TB. It was my wife's first time driving on anything with some slight difficulty. She did fine and the truck didn't complain once. It took us 3+ hours on the trail. We had a picnic lunch on top then drove down the improved road on the backside to get off the mountain.

The next day we went up along the top of Mytogee Mountain. Its not a bad road, but the Tues and Wed. before we arrived was record rainfall. So it had some parts that were washed out and was rough in places. On the very top are 4 overlooks that look down about 1700' onto Fish Lake.

While on top we saw 3 eagles above us. We see them there regularly.

This one is on the South end of Mytogee Mountain looking south. Hopefully it gives an idea of the height. South of this mountain is the flats that eventually turn into Moab like red rock and eventually you would run into Glenn Canyon (Lake Powel) and the Grand Canyon. It is roughly a 4000' climb to this point from the flats below.

Looking East from this road/mountain is Thousand Lakes Mountain. I have spent a lot of time on that mountain as well. On the other side of Thousand Lakes (The east slope) at the base is where Capital Reef National Park begins. It is such a far drop in elevation you can sit on top and look east for hundreds of miles over red, white, orange etc canyons. It is still the most stunning view I have ever found in my travels.

On the way back to camp we found these.

The third day we went up to the very top to Crater Lake. This is a much rougher trail than any of the others we went on. Once you get to Crater lake it continues onto Ox Spring and gets even rougher. We went up about a mile on the trail towards Ox Spring but that was the road that stopped me at a large rock step. It might have required some equipment I didn't have, and an experienced spotter for me to attempt, I probably could have done it, but with only two quads to get me back out, no winch, all my kids, a pregnant wife, and no room to maneuver in the trees I decided not to attempt it. Call me a woosie, I don't care. :cat:

Anyhow I apologize for the crappy photos, I wasn't planning on doing an actual writeup on this trip, but I had the pics and its a part of Utah that doesn't get shown much so I thought I would share.

Hope you enjoyed. :flex dirty:

Edited to fix errors.
Last edited by BSalty on Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
BSalty
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brandon
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:12 am

Thanks for the post, I enjoyed the writeup!

Prob smart not going down anything questionable when in the situation you were in. Man's gotta know his limits!
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by navigator » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:39 am

yeah, you always play it safe with the family in tow.
Now when you are wheeling with a bunch of buddies with plenty of recovery gear then you can be brave :-)

Great pics by the way, just got back from Va, the peak of the mountain we were on was about 2900 feet :-)
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by The Roadie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:05 am

Nice trip, nice pics, and I admire your excellent judgement. I have a college buddy who acts as my safety advocate if we're out with only one vehicle and I'm acting obsessed about a trail. Since we could otherwise have tie votes, I agreed ahead of time to stop if he says to.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by gotspeed1 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Good call on stopping when you thought you should. I've seen videos of people with their families taking it to far and rolling over, getting stuck, etc. with the family in the truck. Wonderful pictures, and keep them coming!!! :flex dirty:
3...2...1....FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2002

Return to Western U.S.