Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Took my wife for a 4x4 date.

Trips/trails in the western part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Mountain Time Zone).
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by BSalty » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:54 pm

I was in an area that I frequent a lot the day before this trip and saw a road I had never seen before leading from the valley up to the top of the surrounding mountains. It was getting dark however when I found the road and I was alone, The next day was the first nice day of the year, it hit 70 degrees and was a mix of sun and light clouds, so we dropped the kids off at the in-laws and decided to go exploring for our big date. Here is what we found. :safari:
Attachments
04-02-11-6.jpg
The hidden road, it is in the backside of a small canyon. You can't see it until you get right to the base.
(107.03 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
04-02-11-1.jpg
Heading up the hill overlooking Utah Lake.
04-02-11-8.jpg
Up on top of the peak
Last edited by BSalty on Sun May 22, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BSalty
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brandon
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by BSalty » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Once we reached the top we could see roads that went in almost every direction. They led back further into the mountains and some trailed across the tops from peak to peak through the saddles. We spent several hours just exploring and taking random roads to see where they led. It was pretty easy going once you got on top with only a few technical areas, but the road to get up on top was very loose gravel, we watched more than one stock truck that couldn't make it up that hill and turned around at the bottom. Once again I have been impressed with the off-road abilities of this little rig.
Attachments
04-02-11-16.jpg
04-02-11-10.jpg
04-02-11-9.jpg
Heading through an old burn area heading up to another peak.
BSalty
Trail-Blazer

by BSalty » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:10 pm

Some pics on top looking down.
Attachments
04-02-11-2.jpg
A poser shot overlooking Utah lake. You can see Provo in the background at the base of the mountains. I love living in Utah.
(222.48 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
04-02-11-14.jpg
Looking down into the valley. The people and vehicles give you an idea of the vertical climb. Its over a 1k foot vertical gain.
04-02-11-12.jpg
From a peak overlooking the first road heading up.
(113.68 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
BSalty
Trail-Blazer

by BSalty » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:22 pm

Once we got into the canyons we found a dead end box canyon that some idiot had left trashed with beer cans, spent shell casings, and just garbage. We were ready for a lunch break so we decided to shoot my new Glock 19 since we have not shot it yet since purchasing it. We used some of the cans they left then cleaned the site up and took it with us. I guess I should be grateful for the free spent brass (I reload) but it highly irritates me that people are that incompetent that they can't clean up their own trash. My 4 year old knows we leave it cleaner than we found it for crying out loud! :hissyfit:
Attachments
04-02-11-3.jpg
Heading deeper into the canyons away from the ridge trails.
(220.22 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
04-02-11-21.jpg
My wife shooting the Glock 19.
04-02-11-22.jpg
Shooting my Glock 19. This pic was cool because you could see the brass on the right, the impact, and I am already back on target.
BSalty
Trail-Blazer

by BSalty » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:28 pm

We explored random roads for a couple more hours. Just having a leisurely day enjoying being outside away from home together. It was a very relaxing day and we enjoyed the company. We saw some wildlife and found a new piece of where we live. It was great. :excited:
Attachments
04-02-11-20.jpg
This is a pic of the dead end in the box canyon.
(111.89 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
04-02-11-15.jpg
I found a bio-degradable clay pigeon on the top of a peak, so I tossed it over the edge. Should have brought my shotgun. These degrade in about 3-4 rain storms to nothing. So I wasn't too worried about the trash factor.
04-02-11-23.jpg
4 mule deer does on the way out.
BSalty
Trail-Blazer

by Trail X » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:43 pm

Seriously, not even fair. Thanks for sharing!!

Below... calendar next year? Maybe?

8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by BSalty » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:35 pm

Sure if I can figure out how to get the strict size requirements. I have around 20 of that photo from different angles. They were taken on my evo phone and they don't take kindly to resizing with MS Paint though and that is the only program I have on my laptop that will resize photos. That is why it looks blurry and digitized. Most of the others were taken on my wife's Digi SLR.
BSalty
Trail-Blazer

by high-voltage » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:03 pm

Wow wish there was a place like that close to me!
Great pic!
THE DECAL DUDE
The unoffical source for ORTB decals!
high-voltage
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Jeff
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by gotspeed1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:36 am

JamesDowning wrote:Seriously, not even fair. Thanks for sharing!!

Below... calendar next year? Maybe?

:Iagree: It's a winner!!! Nice Pics!!
3...2...1....FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Harry Moto » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:35 am

Awesome! The 4x4 date; we call it an 'Exploring day', but we do the same thing. Usually we have separate Shooting day adventures, but we're certainly in favor of getting a little shooting in if the opportunity pops up!

We had an epic ride on April Fools day, started out down in Florence and ended up taking Box Canyon Rd. north, went all the way to Hwy 60 by Superior. Tragically, I left my camera at home, so I guess it didn't happen! LOL I'm itching to do it again and get pix, but Karen swears we'll never EVER go back there. I really enjoyed the challenge, except for the part where we had to take some abandonded mine roads to get around the double 4' rock step-ups about 3/4 of the way up! Scary...

The Silent Armor tires got good grip and didn't chunk or anything. Did some side-wall on rock slides in the tight spots, no damage to tire or body. I go really really slow whenever possible, saves on wear and tear.

Your pix are beautiful. Makes me even less happy about forgetting my camera! LOL Nice ride, nice text, thanks for sharing. :cheers:
2008 TB, 1.75" Smaxx front, 1.25" wheel adapters, 255/75-17 Silent Armor, compass mirror, 7" indash DVD/GPS, power passenger seat, & Mikes steel skid plate.
Harry Moto

Name: Harry
Vehicle Year: 2008

Return to Western U.S.