Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED Arizona, North of Florence, Hewitt Valley Rd.

Trips/trails in the western part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Mountain Time Zone).
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by Harry Moto » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:28 am

Ok, I'm the new guy, so be easy on me. Traded in my Dakota bike hauler for a 2008 Trailblazer with comfort-ride suspension and very comfy electric seat. I've had the TB since 10-10-2010, this was our first off-roading exploring trip with it. The title will get you there, the trails were mostly 1.5, a lot of 2.0, and just a bit of 2.5 nearing 3.0. We were laughing and playing 'kick the can' on the hard parts! Clang, clang! First mod will be removing the can and doing a side exhaust.
I did Scouts back in the day, my favorite was an Orange '76 with track-locks in both ends, Rancho suspension, 8K winch etc. I didn't consider the TB as a real off-roading vehicle, but after our adventure I'm making a list... Very happy to find this site! Anyways, blah, blah, blah. Pictures! The filename starts with the time, hour-minute.

2-30 going into the pass.jpg
It was all 1 and 1.5 up to here. Cool looking rocky pass. The TB is bone stock, complete with dragging can.

3-15 picnic spot 01.jpg
This is by where we stopped for lunch. I forgot the name of the peak already...

4-45 dust storm 40 miles away.jpg
Karen noticed this dust storm, about 40 miles out, east of Florence I think.
2008 TB, 1.75" Smaxx front, 1.25" wheel adapters, 255/75-17 Silent Armor, compass mirror, 7" indash DVD/GPS, power passenger seat, & Mikes steel skid plate.
Harry Moto

Name: Harry
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Harry Moto » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:33 am

Continued:

5-15 on top sunset 01.jpg
Ain't she pretty? Ok, well, you have to start somewhere.

5-15 on top sunset 02 the trail ahead.jpg
The trail ridgelines for a while, then drops off the far side of the mountain steep. I had to back up to make one of the switchbacks, and you have to watch for the 3 foot deep erosion in spots. Thankfully the deep stuff was on the inside of the sharp turns, then petered out where it crossed the trail.

5-16 sunset on top 02.jpg
Scenic. The cool thing is the awesome views of the sunset. The payback is crawling down the mountain in the dark.
2008 TB, 1.75" Smaxx front, 1.25" wheel adapters, 255/75-17 Silent Armor, compass mirror, 7" indash DVD/GPS, power passenger seat, & Mikes steel skid plate.
Harry Moto

by Harry Moto » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:42 am

Final;

6-05 and another hour and a half to go.jpg
Here we are, an hour and a half from pavement. Nice city lights, some interesting driving ahead. About 45 minutes from here was the 2.5 part, and one wash crossing had me sitting in the trail running possible paths for a minute. Found a way, only scratched up the can a bit. Well, and the front pan thing... and touched in the middle a little...

I hope this was appropriate, looks like a reasonable post by comparison. Thanks for a cool site, I'll contribute when I can.

The TB is slated for a stock locker in back, 255/75x17, 2.5 front and bag overloads in back, overhead console for Garage door and switches, Scangauge II, 7" indash GPS/DVD/etc, Radiator skid plate, gas tank skid plate, rear anti-sway bar removal. But otherwise it's staying pretty much bone stock. 8^)
Harry Moto

by Trail X » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:39 am

Nice Post! I hope to see many more of that scenery, wow!
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Harry Moto » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:51 am

Thanks for the kind words, James! We were lucky with the light and the weather, made for some good photo ops. When Karen pointed out the dust storm in the distance I jacked the brakes, rolled the passenger window down, told her to lean back, and took that shot through the window. In less than a minute the light was gone and the whole scene was nothing much to look at.

An hour before a red hawk flew up from behind us on my side, not 50 feet from the truck. It circled around in front of us and sailed off into a valley on that side, never to be seen again. It was amazingly beautiful, the sun on it's feathers was breathtaking... and my camera was on the floor in the back. :hissyfit: :wallbash: Another mod on my list: a dashmat with some kind of velcro or something so I can keep the DSLR on the dash, in sight and ready to hand.
Harry Moto

by Trail X » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:36 am

Harry Moto wrote:Another mod on my list: a dashmat with some kind of velcro or something so I can keep the DSLR on the dash, in sight and ready to hand.

Bird shots are really hard to get... for that matter, almost any animal seems hard to shoot.

I really like that idea of a camera holster... hmmmmm.
Trail X
Founder

by bgwolfpack » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:46 am

:excited: More pics for my screen saver!

I miss these the first time I looked? :wallbash:

Please more pictures such as these. You have a great eye. :cheers:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by fishsticks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:17 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Bird shots are really hard to get... for that matter, almost any animal seems hard to shoot.

Either wait for the target to stop moving or learn to lead it a little. Exhale before you fire... and remember to squeeze (not pull) the trigger.

:finger:
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by Trail X » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:55 pm

fishsticks wrote:Either wait for the target to stop moving or learn to lead it a little. Exhale before you fire... and remember to squeeze (not pull) the trigger.

What ISO setting do you use for shooting them? :finger: They move so much!
Trail X
Founder

by Blackout » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:14 pm

12ga Buckshot :shoot:
Blackout
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2004

by fishsticks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:29 pm

JamesDowning wrote:
fishsticks wrote:Either wait for the target to stop moving or learn to lead it a little. Exhale before you fire... and remember to squeeze (not pull) the trigger.

What ISO setting do you use for shooting them? :finger: They move so much!

.270 Winchester. :mrgreen:
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by Harry Moto » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:56 pm

bgwolfpack wrote::excited: More pics for my screen saver!

I miss these the first time I looked? :wallbash:

Please more pictures such as these. You have a great eye. :cheers:

Great... Now I have to get a bigger helmet... AGAIN!!
(You're giving me a big head, in other words. Like trying to put out a fire with gasoline! LOL)

But seriously, thanks a million. I really like shooting; 12 gauge, 5.56, .22LR, or usually ISO 200. :mrgreen:

I've attached a recent picture of my lovely and delightful wife, Karen. It's a favorite shot of mine, under a full moon with some nice dramatic clouds.

Karen shoots at night.jpg
One of my favorite 'shots'... ;^)

Who would have thought that M855 would spit so much fire out of a 4 1/2" Flash Hider???
Harry Moto

by bgwolfpack » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:22 pm

Cool pic. The more acclimated to the picture one gets the you'll see!

This not taken with a camera phone! Nice! :cheers:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by Harry Moto » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:53 am

Thanks for the compliments! I've been meaning to get back here, but things have been a bit hectic.

Camera: Pentax *ist D, most shots with the standard 18-55 zoom, some with other lens'.

I've gone back several times now, sometimes just for shooting guns, sometimes for exploring and shooting with the camera. Here are some pix from one of the later type of trip. I drove out, then hiked the slopes.
Attachments
01 sonoran desert with arroyo.jpg
This is the area I was hiking in. Just a regular landscape scenic, but I like it. 8^)
02 dem bones with truck.jpg
As I worked my way up the slope, I found these. Yikes! I charged my .45 and put the safety on, kept a lookout for mountain lions.
03 dem bones.jpg
Here you can see the deer's hooves, and enough fur left to identify the animal.
Harry Moto

by Harry Moto » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:06 am

Onwards and upwards:
Attachments
04 elephant rock distant.jpg
It's funny, we'd heard there was a natural bridge out here but drove by it every time without seeing it! There it is, plain as day! LOL
05 elephant rock from below.jpg
Here's a shot of the bridge from below, got sky behind it so it looks like a bridge.
06 elephant rock bridge.jpg
Hey, I can see my truck from here!! 8^)
Harry Moto

by Harry Moto » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:11 am

Finally...
Attachments
07 in the wash.jpg
I didn't want to try this wash out before, but this time said what the heck. There are some bad spots, this was a nice flat space to stop. I need some armor!!
08 sunset wide.jpg
Got in the pretty place, opened up a soda pop and waited for the light. Ah, sunset!
09 late sunset with TB.jpg
This is a LOT later, I was using a 12 second exposure on my tripod. You can see the tree branches all fuzzy from moving in the breeze. Love the look of those late, late sunset shots.
Harry Moto

by Harry Moto » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:51 am

Harry Moto wrote:
The attachment Karen shoots at night.jpg is no longer available

Who would have thought that M855 would spit so much fire out of a 4 1/2" Flash Hider???

I was rather disappointed with so much fire showing out of the flash hider, but when I mentioned that to Karen she said "Yea, but it's kinda Cool!". Hmmm... Since she likes the fire, I took the flash hider off and replaced it with the original equipment muzzle brake. She thinks it's VERY cool, and it makes the picture a lot easier to see. It was 39º out when the picture was taken, very cold for us Zonies, hence the heavy coat! You can see our campfire in the background. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Brake.jpg
Harry Moto

Return to Western U.S.