Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed: Mosquito Pass (Highest Trailblazer ever)

Trips/trails in the western part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Mountain Time Zone).
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by gotspeed1 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:32 pm

http://www.colomar.com/ColoradoPlaces/mosquito_pass.html

The url above is pretty much a summary of the trail. I'll get to what people really want. PICTURES!!!
This is the beginning of the trail. I was kind of undecided if this were the correct way, but remembered reading that if you don't turn off of the major road, you'll be going the correct way.

My favorite sign ever, proof that you're on the right road!

Old mine sight at the trailhead.

A couple of pics of the trail.

And one of what's up ahead.

My pic inspired by Roadie.

You can see the level of the clouds in this one. It was lightly snowing at this point, and the wind was pretty tame.

This is where it changed. I got above the cloud line and the wind and snow picked up.

At this point I figured I'd turn around. With the snow blowing steady, and being at what I though was around 12,000ft in altitude I didn't think it was worth it to go on.

I got back to the truck after checking the snow ahead and figured, f*ck it, I came this far and there isn't anywhere to turn around behind me for a while, I'll keep on truckin'. Around fifty yards ahead I made the summit!!!

It looked as if it is customary to leave a memo to anyone who conquers the trail, so I left mine.

I went back down the same way I came up, instead of heading toward Breckenridge. I figured I had gotten to the summit, I could get the rest of it later. Being to see everything from a different point of view, coming down was just as interesting as going up.

Back below the clouds.

Hope you enjoyed, more to come soon....
Last edited by gotspeed1 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3...2...1....FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Regulator1175 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:15 pm

Incredible pictures, I plan on making that trip this summer when I come back to visit family. I will have to give you a shout and we can make it a 2 truck event. I grew up in Buena Vista, so its nice to see a little bit of home! Thanks a bunch, you brought a smile to my face during an otherwise difficult time!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by teebes » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Awesome pics! I think you have some calendar contenders in there :friday: :cheers:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Blackout » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:43 pm

Good pics. Looks like it was a lot of fun. Wish I had stuff like that locally. How'd you mount up your surco basket? Looks more flush than mine is.
Blackout
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2004

by janesy86 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:11 pm

F-in' sweet dude!! I'm so jealous, I want to move to Colorado sooo bad. Love the snow and scenery!
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by gotspeed1 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:58 pm

Regulator1175 wrote:Incredible pictures, I plan on making that trip this summer when I come back to visit family. I will have to give you a shout and we can make it a 2 truck event. I grew up in Buena Vista, so its nice to see a little bit of home! Thanks a bunch, you brought a smile to my face during an otherwise difficult time!

I'll be posting up a tentative plan for a run during the spring. Keep your eyes out. And our thoughts are with you and your family through your difficult time.

teebes wrote:Awesome pics! I think you have some calendar contenders in there :friday: :cheers:

Thanks. That's what I was looking for when I set out this morning. They'll be the perfect winter related pics. :cheers:

Blackout wrote:Good pics. Looks like it was a lot of fun. Wish I had stuff like that locally. How'd you mount up your surco basket? Looks more flush than mine is.

Thanks, I've got the benefit (and pain in the ass) of moving around with my company every year or so. So far, Colorado is by far the best. The rack is mounted straight to the factory rails. Search Alek's stuff, I believe he has a write up.
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

by Philberto » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:15 pm

I was expecting either a ridiculous lift or something involving marijuana. I am instead pleasantly surprised by the beautiful snow pics! :cheers: Definitely some calendar contenders there. Too bad it wasn't sunny up there.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by HARDTRAILZ » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:55 pm

Well Done. I love seeing how the weather changed as you went along. Nice job on the pics.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Trail X » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:33 pm

How did it do in the snow? I've been pretty impressed with my truck in snow, it keeps on trudging along.

Thanks for sharing the pics, much appreciated! Strange seeing snow so early, but I love it! :salut:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by gotspeed1 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:55 pm

Philberto wrote:I was expecting either a ridiculous lift or something involving marijuana. I am instead pleasantly surprised by the beautiful snow pics! :cheers: Definitely some calendar contenders there. Too bad it wasn't sunny up there.

I'll get some more when it's sunny and I go up from Breckenridge. I'm gonna be a picture whore this year so I'll hopefully have one for the calendar.

JamesDowning wrote:How did it do in the snow? I've been pretty impressed with my truck in snow, it keeps on trudging along.
Thanks for sharing the pics, much appreciated! Strange seeing snow so early, but I love it! :salut:

It did pretty well in the snow. It's been snowing at 9,000ft off and on but at 13,000ft it was a different story. This was my first test of the Guard Dogs in the snow and I was quite impressed. I did see bad parts about the Z71 shocks extension and realized once again the value of a locking rear. The bright side is, since I haven't been out for quite some time, I think the mod bug fell asleep. I do believe it has been awakened once again! :flex dirty:
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Return to Western U.S.