Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Another trip to the "B"

Trips/trails in the western part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Mountain Time Zone).
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by gotspeed1 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:22 pm

The only thing I was looking forward to about coming back down to New Mexico, being able to go to the closest off-road spot with my buddy with the H3. didn't get much pics and really didn't spend to much time there (about three hours over the time I've been here), but it was fun nonetheless.

This the the reason it is called the "B". From what I've noticed in New Mexico, it's pretty popular to find the highest spot in the town and put the first initial of the town in white rock.

It's kinda impossible to judge the depth and distance in a picture but I can assure you this was an interesting drop-off. And for those that will question if I got back up, yes I went back up.

Matt (H3) found this "off the normal path". It was decently smooth when he started. The first pic is him on his third or fourth attempt. The second pic is after he made it up and over his sixth try and right before I took it.

This "little" obstacle pissed me off!!! I watched Matt take it, get on two wheels at one point and power through it. I on the other hand wasn't so lucky. I got down in to start my line back up, couldn't find a line where I would have the clearance, tried to back out, and was stuck in the loose shit behind me.

"Roadie, how much of my fender liners will I have to cut to fit these tires?"
With all the rubbing and slamming the fender liners couldn't take anymore. Both came from together and were ripped out.

"Tread Lightly"
This area would be a beautiful spot, not just for off-roading, but for hiking, four-wheelers, ect., but it seems people like to use it for a dump. The worst part about riding around out here is the entrance. It is so cluttered with shit, one almost has to say a prayer that he won't get a nail in his tire. Matt and myself found a back way in that is very friendly to your everyday 1979 Chevy Luv, and the areas where we've been going are well off the beaten path, so we don't have to deal with this crap too much.

And a few more from the adventure...

On to Leadville, Colorado next week with work, so I'll have some new pics from my new area hopefully soon...
Last edited by Trail X on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title update
3...2...1....FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:38 am

Nice pics. That's more trash than you could clean up in a month of weekends. Sigh....

Funny thing about those wheel well liners. I trimmed the heck out of mine with my first upsize tires, then didn't do much more when I got my first 33's. Went out with Teebes and within 1/10 mile of going down a good 30 degree hill, and turning at the bottom, BOTH of them decided they didn't want to be part of the Roadiemobile anymore and they ejected themselves same as yours. I had to carry them home to avoid being trail trash, and 2 1/2 year later the weeds are growing over them by the side of my garage in my little parts dump. And not three days ago Mrs. Roadie noticed them with annoyance and said I had to slice them up and dispose of them properly. Sigh.....
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by wink » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:53 am

Man I miss New Mexico. I'm originally from Albuquerque. Still have family there and in Belen. There is a lot of open space around Alb., unfortunately must of it is covered in trash.
wink ;>
my build
wink
Off-Roader

Name: Kevin
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Trail X » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:59 am

You have to wonder who goes out to a neat area like that and thinks to themselves... "this looks like a great place to dump my trash".

I ran into a very similar thing off one of my favorite trails... I was in a side-trail and all the sudden there was an old mattress, some trash bags, and an oven sitting there. Who does that?! :shoot:

By the way, nice shots... don't you need some sort of trail rank now?... Off road rated or something?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bartonmd » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:08 am

JamesDowning wrote:You have to wonder who goes out to a neat area like that and thinks to themselves... "this looks like a great place to dump my trash".

I ran into a very similar thing off one of my favorite trails... I was in a side-trail and all the sudden there was an old mattress, some trash bags, and an oven sitting there. Who does that?! :shoot:

By the way, nice shots... don't you need some sort of trail rank now?... Off road rated or something?

Mostly contactors who don't want to pay $30 to dump that stuff at the landfill...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by djthumper » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:09 am

Around here any of the trails near the edge of town seems to have trash dumped there. :(

I tore up my left fender liner with the stock tires over the weekend up at one of our scout camps this last weekend. Must of been those logs pushing back on the bumper plastic... :D
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006

by KE7WOX » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:09 pm

My right one keeps popping out of the side of the bumper, probably after a harsh trail ride.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G

by SteveTB03 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:28 pm

When I would offroad in Vegas every single trail has trash on it its just how it is in the desert there, which I don't mind at all since it gives me things to shoot at but its still stupid to trash those places.

But I know that every one of us have contributed to the trash on a trail no matter how small, I know I have thrown things away in the desert. Yes we might not do it now but we have so we can't be too surprised.
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Trail X » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:51 pm

SteveTB03 wrote:But I know that every one of us have contributed to the trash on a trail no matter how small, I know I have thrown things away in the desert. Yes we might not do it now but we have so we can't be too surprised.

Big difference between losing a dropped zip-tie in the grass and dropping off a full trash can.

I can honestly say I've never left anything larger than that on a trail and normally pick up trash I see along the route.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by SteveTB03 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Yes it is a big difference and I didn't mean it was all bad but for me when I first got to Vegas I've dropped off a mattress and lit it on fire with friends but thinking about it and growing up damn that was a stupid ass thing to do but you live and learn.
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras

by OregTrailBlazin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:15 pm

Looks like you had some good fun, thanks for sharing..!! :cheers:

When I find garbage piles, I dig through them a bit. I've found bank statements, check stubs and phone bills :shoot: !! Makes it easy for the sheriff to take care of...! It seems around here its the lazy-ass welfare (no offence if your on it and need it) people who drop their crap out there. Its sad too, our dumps have a couple free dump days a year, and a small pickup load is only 6$.. But it seems easier to just get rid of it in the mountains :roll: ..
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz

by fishsticks » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Out here people like to dump vehicles for insurance money.

Here's the last one we called in.

Look what I found. Whoops.

Talked to the State Patrol who showed up on our way out later that day. Apparently the guy who owned it said he "Took it out wheeling and got it stuck. He hadn't been back to pull it out yet." :roll:

Forest Services came out and blocked this trail and a couple others off after they hauled this out of there. I hate stupid people.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by KE7WOX » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:57 pm

I would have taken the plate :idea:
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

by gotspeed1 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:22 pm

The Roadie wrote:Funny thing about those wheel well liners. I trimmed the heck out of mine with my first upsize tires, then didn't do much more when I got my first 33's. Went out with Teebes and within 1/10 mile of going down a good 30 degree hill, and turning at the bottom, BOTH of them decided they didn't want to be part of the Roadiemobile anymore...

I stayed with 32" tires, but I do the Treadwrights that I've got on now have considerably more meat on them than the Bighorns did. Even after the fender lining, it's looking like it time to trim the fenders or get the body lift :idea:

JamesDowning wrote:By the way, nice shots... don't you need some sort of trail rank now?... Off road rated or something?

Yeah, I do believe that makes three confirmed off-road rides.

fishsticks wrote:Out here people like to dump vehicles for insurance money.
Here's the last one we called in.

Holy Shit!!! The trails in my pics must go for miles back and fourth into washed out "canyons" and arroyos for miles off the beaten path and I have yet to see anything like that, which amazes me.
3...2...1....FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2002

by KE7WOX » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Are those bullet holes on the truck?

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

by fishsticks » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:21 pm

Yeah, those are bullet holes. There are plenty of places with good backstops to shoot in this area, but this was the first turn off from the "main" gravel road, so people shoot here regularly, even though there is no good backstop to be had. I guess a burned out truck counts as a backstop to some people.

There's another burned out rusted frame less than a half mile up the road from this one. It's tucked away a bit and looks like it's been there for years. A buddy and I have considered coming up with a generator and some saws and cutting it up for scrap. There's another in a small ravine a few miles down the road riddled with bullet holes. I don't know how a tow truck would even get that one out. My buddy went up the weekend before last and found a Neon that had been recently ditched.

People around here are awesome. :wallbash:
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by yalchga » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:55 am

JamesDowning wrote:You have to wonder who goes out to a neat area like that and thinks to themselves... "this looks like a great place to dump my trash".

i have been riding atv's in belen los lunas area for years and yes it is beautiful but the tweekers, methheads and wanna be thugs are ruining everything with trash graffiti and just plain disrespect to mother nature. wish i would have started building my TB when i first saw your tb by the golf course i could have shown you some really nice trails on the other side of town by the puerco it seems that 10 min out of town is just too far for these tweekers to take their trash. the ironic thing is now that the cost of metal is so high in the area all these tweekers are actually going out and collecting all the trash the took out there in the first place to get enough money from recycling for a hit or two off the glass pipe. i know this out of experience being that my family is from here we have a couple questionable people in the family. the B is an awesome place to ride and 4x4 but it is a shame seems every year it gets worse and worse. me and alot of riding buddies used to go once a year and fill up 16ft flatbeds with trash from the B but we stopped when we realized the more we cleaned it the more they used it for a dump. about 5 years ago every sat and sunday me and the fam would ride to the river and the B all day and just have a good time any more we have to trailer the bikes and head out to secluded aread to avoid the bs . ayway nice pics and you can bet your ass im gonna take every trail i see a pic of you on to test out my new lift .....nice pics and if you made it that high up the B thats impressive thats usually reserved for the buggies and bikes haha
yalchga

Name: Gabe
Vehicle Year: 2007

Return to Western U.S.