Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Jerome Run 06/26/2010

Trips/trails in the western part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Mountain Time Zone).
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by KE7WOX » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Last offroading trip with the TB for now :( . I fly back to Mexico on the 30th and I won't be back till late August.

And I decided to go have lunch at the Haunted Hamburger in Jerome. Total trip time from Prescott to Jerome was 80 minutes, this included at least 10 stopped to take pictures, and 15 minutes driving to Chino Valley on SR-89, where Perkinsville Rd starts. From Prescott you can do the trip in 45 minutes or so, over 26 miles of highway on SR-89A, the famous Mingus Mountain Drive, which has 158 curves in 12 miles. So for those who live in Chino Valley it's almost the same time to drive on dirt than highway.

Here's a bit about Jerome: http://www.jerometimes.com/

I started on Perkinsville Rd / FR-354, then turned onto FR-9899D and then onto FR-318. FR-9899D is really a 0.75ish mile trail that connects 354 with 318 withouth having to go all the way to the "T" where FR-354 ends at 318. Going the full way is 2.95ish miles.
The light blue path is 9899D, the orange one is the full way to the T and then on 318

This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by rgraboske » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:44 pm

I love Mingus Mtn Drive. Everytime we drive to CA, we try to take that route. If I could live anywhere other than where I do, it would be Prescott!

Great pics :cheers:
rgraboske
Trail-Blazer

Name: Rob Graboske
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by KE7WOX » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:00 pm

rgraboske wrote: If I could live anywhere other than where I do, it would be Prescott!

Wait till you are stuck driving behind a retiree.

The Mingus drive is quite cool, I've taken it twice as a passenger, but never driven it fully. I prefer to get my truck dirty and I've officially made it to Jerome more times by dirt than by highway (3 vs 2). Back in January we attempted to get to Jerome when the weather was bad, but about a mile from the picnic / campsite that's about halfway between PV and Jerome we came across a stuck snowplow, taking that to be enough of a warning, we headed back, so I partially drove it.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to Western U.S.