Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Journey to the Center of the Universe

Trips/trails in the western part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Mountain Time Zone).
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by Wahugg » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:01 pm

I guess a few apologies are in order.

1, for not posting the rest of this trip.
2, for necro posting my own thread.

I am determined to finish posting this log as my original journal has since disappeared so this is the next closest thing I currently/will have. Anyways, here is the post for the evening. Enjoy!
-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Wahugg » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:10 pm

Day Six
July 11, 2015

Start: Timber Cover California
Destination: Bullards Beach State Campground, Oregon
Miles: 409 Miles

-----------------------
-----------------------

The next morning I was waken by the sun beating into my eyes through my tent wall. I had not gotten up early like I had planned, possibly due to a few too many of those Mexican beers... Anyway, the morning sight was beautiful none the less. After exchanging information with 'the kid' from the night before, I took off with a sense of urgency to make up for the lost time back tracking yesterday and sleeping in that morning.

-----------------------
-----------------------
Overall this day was lite on pictures, but it wasn't short or beautiful views..... or other tourists like me that clogged up the two lane road, however there were plenty of views like this one.
-----------------------
-----------------------
Or this view...
-----------------------

Eventually I made my way to Fort Bragg where I planned on getting a quick breakfast at the McDonalds, however a lovely California couple corned me in the parking lot for some QnA after they spotted my Ohio plates. They had mixed feelings to hear that a 20 year old had drive all by himself out to Cali on his motorcycle. The old man thought it was pretty neat while the lady thought I was crazy, asking if I had told my mother where I was. It took so long to satisfy their questions that by the time we had said goodbye, the restaurant had switched from breakfast to lunch. If I was not on schedule before, I really was not on track now.

-----------------------
Cali Couple...
-----------------------

After shooting out of Fort Bragg, the northern coast of Cali continued to be a treat to me and the traffic seemed to thin out, except for the other kind of bike rider. There were lots of them but thankfully they were mostly polite and waved me past if the corners were clear. Life was good, the ride was great

-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------

An hour later I found myself 150 miles north of where I had started my day (thanks to the numerous 35 and 45mph zones). I finally started to head inland from the coast and would soon find myself in the redwoods, but first, curvy roads. :)

-----------------------
-----------------------
Fun Video: https://flic.kr/p/VUiBqQ
-----------------------

With it already being late afternoon, I punched through Crescent City and into Oregon where I learned two important lessons. First, there is a law where you cannot fill up your own gas. Why? How is this a thing? Do I tip the attendant? Am I even allowed to put in my own gas card?

Thankfully I did not know about this law and started to fill up with gas. It also turns out that motorcyclists are exempt from this law, but not before this man came out, notified me of this law, made all the mentioned thoughts occur in my head, and then make it seem like he was letting me off the hook.

After this bizarre law learning experience, I continued up the coast and let the beautiful scenery distract me.

-----------------------
Angry gas man.
-----------------------
-----------------------

Shortly after dusk I finally found my way into the Bullards Beach State Campground. I made friends with an elderly couple in an RV next to my tent and soon found myself eating a home cooked meal. Yum Yum.

While busier than I had hoped, it turned out to be a pretty solid day. End day 7.
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

Previous

Return to Western U.S.