Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: GWNF 4/10/10

Trips/trails in the eastern part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Eastern Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by Regulator1175 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:03 pm

This looks to be that rock from the top side. It looks like there is a bit of a hole on the left, as well as the trees, that will make it a bit difficult to stay left of that rock.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Regulator1175 wrote:Image

This looks to be that rock from the top side. It looks like there is a bit of a hole on the left, as well as the trees, that will make it a bit difficult to stay left of that rock.

Definately, you couldn't stay completely off the rock, but I think you could have just the passenger side drop off the rock, instead of the whole front end, then the whole rear end...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:50 pm

I would agree from the pics. take the drivers headlight straight to the tree while pass side works down the rock then cut hard right and skim past the tree as right right descends....BUT

it is easy to call that from here and a bitch when out there since wee cant see al angles in a pic and tell how solid that drivers side slope is.

Hell from the pic I can see a line running to the right and working the 2 different rocks so that the tires kinda stairstep down and no two fall at the same time. Would be more off-chamber but do-able with decent traction.

By the way----Well Done and thanks for the pics. Looks like some fun stuff.
Last edited by HARDTRAILZ on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bartonmd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:57 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:I would agree from the pics. take the drivers headlight straight to the tree while pass side works down the rock then cut hard right and skim past the tree as right right descends....BUT

it is easy to call that from here and a bitch when out there since wee cant see al angles in a pic and tell how solid that drivers side slope is.

Hell from the pic I can see a line running to the right and working the 2 different rocks so that the tires kinda stairstep down and no wo fall at the same time. Would be more off-chamber but do-able with decent traction.

By the way----Well Done and thanks for the pics. Looks like some fun stuff.

Exactly...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by bobbyblaze » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:05 pm

Heres the shot downhill with somne graphics. Red circle is the rock. Blue squiggly line is a small steady flow of water that made the area in the green circle very soft, muddy and mushy. At the same time it is also angled on a down slope on the side of the hill (red Arrow). You can see that people have put rocks and a stump in there to try to get traction. Ok for going down but going up is another story. When going up, if you kept your right tire on that mushy stuff, your left tire would have to go up the 18-24 inch vertial rock that is jutting out there. Off camber while sinking in mud while one tire does a vertical climb. Even after getting the front up, the lighter rear would have to do the same thing.
You can see from the 2nd pic, the muddy green area in relation with the trickling water and the rock wall. About 18-24 vertical inches tall.

The way they worked it out with minimal frame carnage (I heard metal hitting rock), follow up the small rock step by the right tire of the truck in the pic (or your left if you were driving) and the other upward truck tire (your right) would be scraping the right side of the rock by the muddy area and water trickle. How much to the right just depends on how wide your wheelbase and wheel offset is. The guys with the NISMO front and rear lockers made it look easy but 2 or 3 out of 6 trucks needed a static recovery strap help from the next truck above the rocks.

I got smart and backed out of that mess. Like JD said, going down is no prob with a little frame scraping but going up that is a different story. Doable but I wasn't interested in trying without Skid plates. Image
Time. . .is my greatest enemy.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

Name: bb
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:28 pm

Seems like a perfect place to bend the crossbar tying the frame together in the middle of the truck some more.

But anyway...like I said...you got to be there to really know the best line.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bobbyblaze » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Yep. Going all the way to the right wasn't an option because of being soft and down hill. If you look at the dark pic. That truck is doing what I was trying to explain. Keep in mind that the truck in the pic has a 6 inch lift and 35" tires.
You can also see how wet the ground is too with that little trickle.
Time. . .is my greatest enemy.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

Name: bb
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by staticfusion » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:19 am

I totally forgot you got rid of the TB and got the truck! I was looking through the pics wondering where the hell the TB was. Looks like a fun trip, and even better trails.
staticfusion

Previous

Return to Eastern U.S.