Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

"I need a snorkel" Richloam, Florida, Oct 25-26, 2014

Trips/trails in the eastern part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Eastern Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by DirtyBacon04 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:45 pm

Ok, so a buddy and I went camping this past weekend and we wanted to find a campsite that few could reach. My buddy's rig, 2013 Tundra, is rather large and stock. Plus, understandably, he doesn't want it to get scratched, dinged, and dented. So we kept it safe... mostly.
This is all in Richloam Wildlife Management Area where I have wheeled before. I was hoping that since it hasn't rained in 2 weeks, it might've dried out more... not so. We tried sticking to the graded limerock roads, but would occasionally pass a sedan. So we ventured off and flipped it into 4lo. Only got turned around by deep water once.

The only real issue we had was looked like a long, and shallow puddle. Well going through it was all hunky dory until I got 3 ft from the shore when the front right tire just dropped another 12 inches or so. Back right tire not only came off the ground but came out of the water. I was balancing on 2 wheels, and thanks to my PowerTrax i still had traction on the other rear wheel. I managed to putz forward until I was level again, but now I'm high centered on a root bed and unable to move. Goes back to one of the dangers of water obstacles is not knowing whats underneath. Well, here's where I feel I made a mistake. I shut my engine off to prep my winch while the water was about 1/3 way up my doors. I had a tree directly in front of my truck about 70 ft or so. So utilizing my tree saver, I hooked up to it. Finally ready to winch, I climbed back through my window and turn the key with no response... Uh-oh. I popped my hood, opened the airfilter expecting the worse. Thankfully, it was bone-dry. So i knew the most important thing right now was getting my truck out of the water. Since I just installed a brand new optima yellow top, i was comfortable winching off the battery. The Warn 10k worked like a dream and effortlessly pulled me on to shore. I pulled the starter relay and let it sit for a few minutes, reinserted, turned the key and VROOM! Then I had water pouring out of my exhaust for a few minutes.

This is where That front tire just dropped like a brick.

This angle shows how radical the depth changes.

Rather hard to straighten the wheels w/o power steering, but I did prior to loading the winch.

Got out, and released the flood gates of my front doors.

Took an alternate way back that was just as nerve-wrecking given what I just went through.

So my question is this: In the event you get stuck in water that isn't deep enough to have the immediate threat of hydrolock, is it safer to leave the engine running? There doesn't seem to be any damage and the truck is running like it always has. The insulation/padding under the carpet is currently in the local dumpster, though.

Random trip photos now.

did a spot of fishing considering the water was deep enough.

Mikes bumper worked great! Super convenient. Plus the extra lights i put in were so useful!

Made it out! Airing up to head home! If you'll notice, the power clamps for the compressor fit right in the quick connect for the winch! How handy. I'll be making a set of jumper cables with the quick connect on one side, too.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trail X » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:12 pm

I'd probably keep it running if there is no danger of hydrolocking. The only benefit would be depowering a potential electrical connection that might short, but most stuff probably stays live anyways.

Looks like a good trip. Is it buggy there? I hate camping when its buggy.

Glad the water didn't do any damage.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by 419TrailWisperer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:15 pm

I have to agree with James, keep it running. I've always been told it creates a vacuum if the tailpipe is under water, and pulls water in if the motor is shut off. On the flip side, if you do keep it running, have to keep in mind you might be filling the cab with exhaust fumes. Looks like a awesome trip though. Can't wait til I get my lift, tires, and armor so I can join in on some of the fun!
...Yeah i know whisperer is spelled wrong... long story short, i carry Colgate Wisps everywhere i go...
419TrailWisperer
Cruiser

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bartonmd » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:43 pm

Looks like fun!

Man, those are some sexy front and rear bumpers you've got there!

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:41 pm

I let mine run. 3 hrs in one water hole one day.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by DirtyBacon04 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:35 am

Trail X wrote:Looks like a good trip. Is it buggy there? I hate camping when its buggy.

It was a little bit buggy, not too bad. Once it cooled down and we had the fire cooking, the bugs went away. It gets to a blistering 57 deg at night here this time of year.

bartonmd wrote:Man, those are some sexy front and rear bumpers you've got there!

Hell yea! I'm very proud of them! Love showing them off.

I appreciate the advice. I'll be leaving my engine idling in water from now on. Thanks!
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

by Trail X » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:29 am

DirtyBacon04 wrote:Once it cooled down and we had the fire cooking, the bugs went away. It gets to a blistering 57 deg at night here this time of year.

Be sure to bring some extra warm stuff for TECORE, it will likely dip below freezing on the mountain.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by DirtyBacon04 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Yea, I underestimated the temp this weekend. I only had a lightweight summer sleeping bag... i'll be sure to bulk up for TECORE.
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

by The Roadie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:20 pm

Running. The winch also works faster at 14V, and less deep cycle stress on the battery.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Eastern U.S.