Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Wharton State Forest 7/27/14

Trips/trails in the eastern part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Eastern Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by JoeyT » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:40 pm

I've been over to Wharton state forest in jersey 2 times before and my sister wanted to go so I decided to take her out. I did some planning and decided to go down High Crossing Rd. All was fine and dandy no issues. I was hitting every puddle I saw. Until I misjudged one and went in deep. Completely got stuck. I had water coming in my passenger rear door so I had to move fast. Forgot to hook up the quick connect for my winch so I had to pop the hood to hook it up. The water was literally 2" from my air cleaner so after seeing that I went into overdrive. I had to use a 30' tree strap just to reach the winch cable. But finally got it out. Good amount of water got inside and it's still drying out. After that I avoided most of the puddle I came across unless there was no go around. And of course that's not all the bad stuff. As I was going around a puddle I was keeping an eye on my side and my sister wasn't paying attention to her so I took off my mirror. But in the end it was fun. We both had a good time. I was completely drained by the time I got home. I'll try to post some videos. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JoeyT
Cruiser

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by JoeyT » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:26 pm

JoeyT
Cruiser

by JoeyT » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:28 pm

When I got stuck
JoeyT
Cruiser

by JoeyT » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:29 pm

JoeyT
Cruiser

by Cable810 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:04 pm

Looks like some fun!!
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Trail X » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:47 pm

Hell yeah Joey, thats what we need more of! Thanks for taking the time to put the post together and upload the videos. That big hole was certainly unexpected. Watch your wheel bearings now, they really don't like sitting in water like that and sometimes leads to a little water getting past the seal which ruins them quite fast. Whats the information on the bumper. Doesn't look like one of MDBs. Is it a TAG bumper? Did I miss the writeup?

Also, keep that eye on the surroundings. I have to assume you were going a decent pace to knock off the mirror. Just be glad that it wasnt your front end, because you would have been in a bad situation then. Don't blame your sister, the wheel was in your hand.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by DirtyBacon04 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:48 pm

I laughed quite a bit when your camera just turned brown when you got stuck.
started off all splashy splashy fun... and then DUNK! hahaha!
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael

by JoeyT » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:15 pm

The bumper is actually an mdb bumper I got off him a few years ago. It was just a standard bumper until a few weeks ago. I ordered a mounting plate for the winch, cut the bumper, welded the plate in then bolted the winch on. I wasn't actually going fast to knock the mirror off. It was just a really tight go around. I can blame her. That's what sisters are for. Lol. As far as the wheel bearings I'm starting to hear some noise. Gonna check them tomorrow. I found the fan clutch doesn't like it either. Check engine light popped on and started to over heat on my way home from work. But in the end it was all worth it. I just look at the pics and videos and laugh. I can't wait to go back.
JoeyT
Cruiser

by dvanbramer88 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:40 pm

Join the club dude.

Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
DriveTrain: 4WD

by JoeyT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:02 am

Nice. It wasn't the first time I got stuck and I know it won't be the last. It was however the first time I had to drag the cable out 90ft. First thing I did when I got home was order 100' of 3/8" synthetic winch rope. The rope alone without the hook has to weigh less than 5lbs. Plus it's much safer compared to the steel cable. I would recommend spending the extra money upfront to get the comp version of my winch that comes with the synthetic rope instead of doing what I did. I ended up spending $100 more because I upgraded later on. You live and learn. Anyone interested in 93' of steel winch line with hook. Only used twice. Lol
JoeyT
Cruiser

by Trail X » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:27 am

I'd also recommend getting a synthetic winch extension line. Think about it, you were in the middle of a pretty dense forest, and yet you had to pull it out 90 feet and still couldn't reach a tree without a 30 foot extension.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by JoeyT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:36 am

Trail X wrote:I'd also recommend getting a synthetic winch extension line. Think about it, you were in the middle of a pretty dense forest, and yet you had to pull it out 90 feet and still couldn't reach a tree without a 30 foot extension.

It's on my list. I'm gonna get an amsteel 100ft extension. I just didn't have the funds available because of the mirror and fan clutch I had to replace. Hoping to get it ordered next week. I also wanna get another strap. Can never have to many.
JoeyT
Cruiser

by dvanbramer88 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:03 pm

Wharton killed my first fan clutch too. The water there is rough.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

by JoeyT » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:42 am

It's because of the fine silica sand. It just gets in and eats everything up. We live pretty close to each other so if you ever wanna meet up and take a ride over I wouldn't mind having a second vehicle. I try to go Sundays since that's my only day off.
JoeyT
Cruiser

by v7guy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:25 pm

Looks like a good time, I got quite the chuckle outta it. Just inspired me to go back out to the garage and do a little work before work LOL
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by dvanbramer88 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:43 pm

JoeyT wrote:It's because of the fine silica sand. It just gets in and eats everything up. We live pretty close to each other so if you ever wanna meet up and take a ride over I wouldn't mind having a second vehicle. I try to go Sundays since that's my only day off.

Eventually i'll get another trip out there. Its not in the cards/budget right now. I'm broke and my senior year of college starts in 3 weeks.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

by JoeyT » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:10 am

Eventually i'll get another trip out there. Its not in the cards/budget right now. I'm broke and my senior year of college starts in 3 weeks.

Just thought I'd offer. Good luck and enjoy your senior year.
JoeyT
Cruiser

by JoeyT » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:15 am

v7guy wrote:Looks like a good time, I got quite the chuckle outta it. Just inspired me to go back out to the garage and do a little work before work LOL

It was a great time. At the time the truck was sinking I wasn't laughing but looking at the video and thinking back I can't help but laugh. It inspired me to put a snorkel on. I just gotta order parts. I have it all figured out how I'm gonna do it I think.
JoeyT
Cruiser

Return to Eastern U.S.