Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED Whispering Pines Hideaway Lyons, NY July 18

Trips/trails in the eastern part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Eastern Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by TBYODA » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Just though I would throw this up even though it a little short notice. A buddy and I are going to check this local place to wheel that a bunch of the local 4x4 clubs frequent. Not real sure what it has offer in the level of wheeling but it's close and looks some what interesting from a few you tube videos but I am thinking nowhere near anything like GWNF. Anyway below is the info if anyone wants to join us, PM me if you are so we can exchange constant info and such. There is a daily fee of $35/ vehicle driver and $7 per passenger. We're taking your kids and my buddy has a quad so it still should be fun.

http://whisperingpineshideaway.com/index.html

548 Townline Road, Lyons, NY, 14489
Last edited by TBYODA on Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by dvanbramer88 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:09 am

Hope you guys have a good time! Hope it is worth it. Their prices are the same as Rousch Creek, FWIW/for comparison.

PS, i like the GIF in your signature ;)
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD

by TBYODA » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Yea I hope also and yea I know same price as RP but it's 3 hours closer. I want to go there also.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

TBYODA

by TBYODA » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:21 pm

Well the place is pretty cool, kinda tight in most area's, were having fun. Did this also backing up :(
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405710976.436529.jpg

Armor came in handy.

Not sure if worth the yearly membership of $110.
Last edited by TBYODA on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

TBYODA

by Opeth » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:08 am

Ouch....
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody
Vehicle Year: 2006

by dvanbramer88 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:46 am

WATCH OUT! there is a tree there.....
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

by TBYODA » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:14 am

dvanbramer88 wrote:WATCH OUT! there is a tree there.....

Tell me some thing I don't know. I am sure this won't be the last item I damage. Time to make some light guards.
I pulled the bumper cover off and was able push back out. Paint is cracked but not to bad, I can get a new light for $40.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405779189.978615.jpg

I got other pictures to post just got to pull off thumb drive.
Last edited by TBYODA on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

TBYODA

by TBYODA » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:49 pm

Well all in all it was a fun day, took my two boys and friend Scott and his son. The place is basically just a patch cut out of the woods. Most of the trails are very rutted (to be expected) from rigs with much larger tire than what I got. :facepalm: There was only one other vehicle there that day and they had a side by side so no help there if I got stuck. Owners don't pull you out so with the fact that most of the trails were very tight I was a little cautions. We though of taking Scott Quad but was not sure if we could, next time yes because it looked very fun running around on the side by side. We also were going to take his Chevy 1500HD along but good thing we did not because it is way to big for this place.

Map of Whispering Pines Hideaway.
Even though we had this and a paper map. They did not really do much good since there were no marking on the map of the trails/rating. :lol: There were some trail markings but I did know what they meant. I assume put there by the local 4x4x guys.

This was a trail that we seen from the down below which I did not think I could go up because it was real steep and rutted so I did not try (does not look to steep in the picture). I would have tried going up if we were with others for extraction help. When we got around to the other side I decide to go down, :flex dirty: I am so glad for my skids and that I made them a priority in my build. I hit them a lot going down here and in many other places. Due to the ruts I dragged the frame and rear axle down the hill. I'd say only about 3 road are stock passable, most are not and rutted to some degree. If any one for NY/PA guys wants to go here SKIDS ARE MUST! I hit my rad skid hard about 5-6 times so with out one you are SOL.

This hill I did attempt going up but bailed as I could not stay out of the ruts before I got totally stuck. The used guard dogs did OK in most places but these sticky muddy areas not really. However this experience helped me really put another nail in my next tire choice. I think I am going to try the Fierce Attitude MT, I really like the looks of them and from what I have read they perform great.

My son took these nice shots

My son Nick getting some spotting action.

On this hill the first time I took a bad line and had to back up and try again. I even smoked the tires trying.

WHOA!! baby my first real butt pucker moment. :mrgreen:

Now here is a crazy area this is straight up and beyond this and to the left out of the picture is a mud pit but looked to narrow for a TB and deep. :flex dirty: Got to hook up with the local club. :happy whip:
Last edited by TBYODA on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:56 am, edited 5 times in total.

TBYODA

by Cable810 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:53 pm

Looks like a fun day!!
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Return to Eastern U.S.