Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Richloam WMA, Webster, FL

Trips/trails in the eastern part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Eastern Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by DirtyBacon04 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:01 pm

Well, did a quick little poke into the woods to test out my 4wd and my locker (again). Hell I dont need a reason to go out.
Due to the recent heavy rains, I did come across a lot of water. Fortunatley, most of the time it was sand bottom instead of mud, so loss of traction wasn't TOO big of a risk. I did encounter my first obstacle that justified my trail use of a chain saw. Massive pine tree had fallen, rather recently, blocking the entire trail. (Based off of the 'totality of circumstances', i could tell that the road wasn't intentionally blocked, so clearing it was perfectly legal)
I cut the log on each side, tied the strap towards the right side. pulled it backwards to straighten it out. I then tried to roll it (by hand) out of the way... Well... this is like 11 ft of solid pine about 18" diameter, so it didn't care about my agenda. Cut it half, rolled each piece out of the way.
Water got somewhat deep, about 28-30" deep at times. Had a good time, though.

Aannndddd my favorite shot

Difficulty: I'd rate the trail (out of 10) itself as a 5 (only because of water), maybe 2-3 if it were dry. Nothing super difficult but biggest obstacle is going to be traction and deep water. I had almost zero wheel spin through water because it was sand bottom instead of mud. For shits and giggles, in one of the deeper puddles, I put it in 2 hi just to see if I even needed 4wd through them and almost instantly forward motion stopped and ass end sunk. So functioning 4wd is essential.

Scenery: I would rate it a 2 of 10 unless you like dense woods and mud.

Remoteness: 4-5 out of 10. Not far away from civilization and traffic noise could probably be heard for a ways. The danger is in how easy it is to get turned around. As in any jungle/forest, it can get difficult to determine cardinal direction as there are canopys covering the sun. If you can find the high tension power lines, I advise going due west to SR 471. Or you can follow them north to SR 50.

Survivability: 7 out of 10. Plenty of water to purify, but most likely not safe to drink as is. Black bear has been spotted but as a species, they are skiddish. Make plenty of noise while traveling to scare them away. Wild hog has been known to be aggressive and are plentiful in the area. Jump up a tree to get away... or just shoot them. No limit on hogs :) Also, wild hog makes good food. No shortage of building materials and firewood. Watch out for 50ft trees that can fall at a moments notice as evidenced by my earlier picture. Poisonous snakes do roam the area, too. Coral snakes and cottonmouths do thrive out here.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Return to Eastern U.S.