Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Nov 23 - GWNF Second Mountain and Dictum Ridge

Trips/trails in the eastern part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Eastern Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by firefox2501 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Bobby - that stinks! If you can't make this one, there will be others. I will keep you in the loop. Let me know if things line up and you can make it. I will PM you my phone number.

James - I was concerned that the fact that it was the Saturday before Thanksgiving that a lot of people would not be able to make it. Travel, house prep, that sort of thing. It is all good!

I am toying with the idea of heading up to New Jersey in late December for a ride with the New Jersey and New York City guys, but if that falls through, I will plan another ride in GWNF - probably on the weekend for better participation, but I am off work from the Dec 20th until after the New Year, so a weekday ride might happen too...
firefox2501
Off-Roader

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:03 pm

Cool, I'll keep my eyes open for the next trip.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Blazintrails03 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Unfortunately I'm going to have to bow out. Court, sick kid, and work that needs to be done and so on and so on. But as the same as JD I will keep my eyes peeled for the next run.
The unofficial hat guy of ORTB viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4325

BUILD THREAD: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5377&p=106362#p106362
Blazintrails03
Trail-Blazer

Name: Bobby
Vehicle Year: 2003

by firefox2501 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:32 pm

That stinks but I understand - maybe next time.
firefox2501
Off-Roader

by firefox2501 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Had a fun day!

In addition to me, there were 2 Jeep Wranglers and an Isuzu Vehicross. The Isuzu was all over the trail trying to work good lines (29.5" tires), but he did slowly make it through. Our moving average speed was under 5MPH, so it was a long day.

Last edited by firefox2501 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firefox2501
Off-Roader

by firefox2501 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:29 pm

Damage report:

Unfortunately sometime during the bouncing around on Dictum Ridge, the screws holding the drawer slides of my storage platform yanked out of the plywood and the slides were no longer supported. No equipment damage, but I am bummed because I just built it last week!

We were running late, so I used the trip as a chance to use my auxiliary roof lights. For some reason, after 15 minutes of use, the fuse holder melted! No major damage, but the roof lights are inoperative until I fix it. The fuse did not blow. It is about 25amps of current going through a 30amp fuse. The relay is rated at 40amps. All 12 gauge wire. All voltages are 12 volts. It was the plastic barrel fuse holder that melted. Not sure why. Definitely have some wire tracing and checking in my immediate future.

Overall, a minor damage day!
firefox2501
Off-Roader

by Wahugg » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:42 pm

firefox2501 wrote:Damage report:

Unfortunately sometime during the bouncing around on Dictum Ridge, the screws holding the drawer slides of my storage platform yanked out of the plywood and the slides were no longer supported. No equipment damage, but I am bummed because I just built it last week!

We were running late, so I used the trip as a chance to use my auxiliary roof lights. For some reason, after 15 minutes of use, the fuse holder melted! No major damage, but the roof lights are inoperative until I fix it. The fuse did not blow. It is about 25amps of current going through a 30amp fuse. The relay is rated at 40amps. All 12 gauge wire. All voltages are 12 volts. It was the plastic barrel fuse holder that melted. Not sure why. Definitely have some wire tracing and checking in my immediate future.

Overall, a minor damage day!

Was the fuse holder from radio shack by chance? I've had the same experience with a fuse holder from there. I replaced it with a fuse panel for better reliable and to wire up extra goodies.

-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by firefox2501 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:50 pm

No, not Radio Shack. AutoZone - which really isn't much better...

If anything, it will probably motivate me to do a proper and expandable auxiliary power distribution system. Right now, I only have the single relay for the roof lights (the bumper lights will not change and they are good to go). But I was toying with hard wiring my compressor and a few other things that will need proper power.

I am probably going to look at Crutchfield or some other place that specialized in car audio since some of the bigger amplifiers have some pretty hefty power requirements.

Wahugg wrote:I replaced it with a fuse panel for better reliable and to wire up extra goodies.

You have any details on this fuse panel?
firefox2501
Off-Roader

Previous

Return to Eastern U.S.