Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Wharton State Forest, NJ

Trips/trails in the eastern part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Eastern Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by caseyk08 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:54 am

Hey guys,
Thought I'd fill you in on my true maiden voyage.
I recently moved up to NJ from Florida. I've had my envoy out on the beach/back roads, but my experience was pale in comparison to some of the stuff I see on this site.
As per Gordinho's suggestion, I finally got out to Wharton State Forest.
My girlfriend, two dogs, and I headed out of a night of camping and two half days of exploring the forest. I was a little worried about getting stuck.
I currently have Mark's 2.5" lift, but that's it! 3.42s, stock street tires, no G80.
We got there and most of it was "unimproved sand roads." Honestly, I was a little happy about that.
Few hours of this:
We had to get to the campsite before it got dark to set up.
We hit a huge puddle/mudbath on the trail to the campsite. Not taking that trail meant backtracking 2 hours. No thanks.
We weaved through some trees and got onto a parallel trail, only to find that trail ALSO had some deep water. We hugged the side of it. Water was up to the body moulding on the doors on the driver side. Got through! I was quite happy - and pleased with my envoy. Half of me (OK - more than half of me) was expecting to sink in the mud and get stuck there!
Here's the puddle(s). I wish I had a picture of me IN IT. Maybe next time!
We made it to the campgrounds. Camping was not really as I expected. Campsites were all very closely spaced. But we lit a fire, cooked some hotdogs and baked beans, and got some sleep...
On the way out we explored the northern part of the forest. Seemed like more sand, but we hit some dirt along the way.

There are a lot of deep mud ruts / mud puddles around. I suspect that if we got rain, it'd be pretttttyyy muddy. The whole forest (at least what I saw) was very flat. Little rocks.

All in all, though, it was a great first experience. Not as daunting as I had imagined.
I learned a lot. Some of those major points:
1) Street tires are just that. I need something better!
2) My Envoy is more capable than I gave it credit for.
3) Don't buy a small tent and expect a good night's sleep with a girlfriend and two dogs.
4) Bring chairs. I pictured sitting around a campfire... I'm not sure what I pictured sitting on.

I've been debating what to do with my Envoy. I'm hitting 130k. I drive 120miles daily on it. I've always thought I didn't want to put money into it and have it explode - but now I'm having second thoughts.

Only issue so far from the trip, is that I found out my back right axle seal/bearing need replacing. A little squeaking and gear oil is dripping out. I'm topping it off for now. I'm trying to find somewhere to do the work. My current apartment complex situation is not cool.

Anyways, thought I'd share.
I'm happy about the trip!
caseyk08
Cruiser

Name: Casey
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by dvanbramer88 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Nice trip report. I've been out there several times.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by Regulator1175 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:45 pm

I have 275k on my Envoy and it is still running strong. Keep your truck, it has a lot of life left in it!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by RyansTBLS » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:36 pm

Nice trip! Make certain you bring recovery gear in case you do get stuck. :flex dirty: Also, if you're going to encounter water you want to think about extending your breather tubes on your differentials. Other then that, bigger tent! :camping: Glad you had a safe and fun first trip. :cheers:
The problem with the Trailblazer is, people think you know what you're doing.
RyansTBLS
Addict

Name: Ryan
Vehicle Year: 2006

by caseyk08 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:04 pm

Dvan, I read your thread on Wharton a few times before heading out! Looks like fun.
Regulator, that is very reassuring to hear. I've been nice to it so far maintenance wise. Hopefully I make it there too! I figure at this point, might as well run it dead. Toyota offered $3500 for it towards a 4runner. Erg...
Ryan, I had a strap, CB, shovel, plywood... I need to figure out a better jack. Going out with a floor jack seems to be my best option now! Those HiLifts look great, but I'm not sure how helpful it'd be without sliders? Good call, I'm looking into relocating/extending the diff breathers now. That's something easy I can do for little cost.
I just ordered rear axle bearings and seals along with rotors and brake pads from rockauto. My mark lift & new struts took me a good two days to get on... Everything was seized. Hopefully this won't be a disaster!
caseyk08
Cruiser

by RyansTBLS » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:34 pm

The hi-lift can be used as a winch, so long as you have tow hooks in the front and a shackle in the back, along with the hi-lift winch kit. So long as you're in cb or cell phone range not too much to worry about. Sounds like you were well prepared for your first trip and now have some projects to look forward too. :friday: You'll find out that is a trend, trip - mods - trip -mods... :safari: Nice write up by the way. :cheers:
RyansTBLS
Addict

by navigator » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:33 pm

the hi-lift also has "lift mates" which attach to your wheels so you can lift them up and put something underneath etc.

Look up some youtubes on "using a hi-lift"
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by fatboy0686 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:26 pm

there are a lot more good areas to go out in this area of nj!!! there are a few pits around me that are fun, some decent hills and trails and they all have a big hole in the middle to get muddy in lol
fatboy0686

Name: richard

by fatboy0686 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:26 pm

there are a lot more good areas to go out in this area of nj!!! there are a few pits around me that are fun, some decent hills and trails and they all have a big hole in the middle to get muddy in lol
fatboy0686

Name: richard

by caseyk08 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:27 am

Navigator - I've seen Roadie mention that attachment a few times. You're right - might be worth purchasing. Looks like a hi-lift is, in some ways, a swiss army knife of vehicle recovery. I need to figure out a front recovery point. No tow hooks on the envoy. I suppose if I go out for anything serious I should pop the front bumper off.

Fatboy, I didn't realize you were so close! I'm going to send you a PM about places to go.
caseyk08
Cruiser

by navigator » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:40 pm

post a WTB in the classifieds for tow hooks. Some of the guys that bought bumpers might have some for sale. That is how I got mine from Fishsticks.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by v7guy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:51 am

I might maybe have a pair layin around, I'll take a gander
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by firefox2501 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:37 am

Looks like a fun ride!

Believe it or not, the best price I have seen for a Hi-Lift Extreme 60" (the one you really want to get) was on Amazon. With a Prime membership I got mine for $95 with free shipping. Make sure you get the lift mate - it is well worth it for a soft sided truck like ours if you don't have sliders.

The off-road kit makes winching with the hi-lift much easier, but you will need to supply a chain (not included). For the chain, make sure you get a grade 70 chain. I picked up a 5/16, 20 foot long, grade 70 chain (4500lb working load limit) at Lowes that works very well with the off road kit.

If you are going to be using the hi-lift in sand or mud, make sure you grab either a 1'x1' piece of 1/2" plywood or the hi-lift off-road base so that the foot of the jack does not sink in.
firefox2501
Off-Roader

Name: Mike

by firefox2501 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:39 am

Re: OEM Tow hooks - I was able to pick up a set of OEM tow hooks from the dealer for ~$30. That seemed like a darn good price. Is that what you guys are seeing?
firefox2501
Off-Roader

by RyansTBLS » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:32 pm

$30 for 2? :awesome: They wanted $95 a piece when I looked for them at the dealer, make certain they're for the trailblazer then pounce on them :angry whip:
RyansTBLS
Addict

by firefox2501 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Yes - $30 bucks for total for both of them. One was $13, the other was $16 for some reason.

I am asking about the going rate though because the guy in the parts dept. at the Chevy dealer I use loves my truck. When we went out to check the sizing of the OEM hooks on the stock bumper with one of Barton's radiator skids, he spent about 15 minutes crawling around and under the truck saying things like "oh wow" and "that's cool!". Ever since he has remembered me. So he may have cut me a deal...

Compared to some other rigs on this site, mine is pretty low key. His head probably would have exploded at the sight of one of the SAS rigs! :)
firefox2501
Off-Roader

by Trail X » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Casey, sounds like a good first trip. Lots to learn from too. Don't worry, its happened to us all. My first trip with my wife, we almost froze to death because our sleeping bags weren't rated for the temperatures... plus, I didn't have anything to cut wood with for a fire... etc, etc. You learn more every time. Glad your first experience was overall positive. Thanks for the writeup. Make sure you put in for your newly deserved rank.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by firefox2501 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:05 pm

Casey and Fatboy - if you can get on base, the tank trails on Ft Dix are a LOT of fun. I was active duty there 7 years ago. Some of the trails are tough though. I got a real HUMVEE stuck out there so tight that it took two deuces to pull it out!
firefox2501
Off-Roader

by caseyk08 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:06 pm

Firefox, I'm glad you replied - I hadn't seen your truck before. Probably what I'd like to do with mine.
I'll look around for the towhooks and hi-lift. Honestly, at this point I think I'm going to keep everything pretty calm.
I'm finishing up a chemistry degree and have little disposable income or time. Until next year, that is!
Though with my new finding of a fishing spot on the Delaware River, tires have become a high priority!
To craigslist!

James, there is an overwhelming amount of useful information out there, but I figure this is like everything else in life: Try not to make mistakes, make them anyways, and then try not to make them again!
caseyk08
Cruiser

by dvanbramer88 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:21 pm

caseyk08 wrote:Though with my new finding of a fishing spot on the Delaware River, tires have become a high priority!
To craigslist!

Where at? I live a block from the river on the Pa side and have fished a lot of it from the water gap down to the Burlington/Bristol Bridge.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

Next

Return to Eastern U.S.