Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: GA 301 Dirt Roads

Trips/trails in the eastern part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Eastern Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by drburke » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:36 pm

So in a semi-futile way to get out of Mall Builds, I figured I'd write up one of my adventures. As I'm in southern Georgia, we don't have much to do other than go bogging on some dirt roads and pieces of land. On this particular road/adventure I'm writing up about, several pickups got stuck when the road was barely rutted out a few days before me. When I hit it, it had been tore up by some serious 35 and 37s.

This was on Monday. The Toyota barely made it out, you can see two trucks in the background that got stuck. On top of it, a 1500 and a 2500HD got stuck as well, all on AT or MTs. Notice the road conditions as well.

This was on Saturday. It rained every day since. It may hard to see, but it's been tore up. If it chewed up those other trucks before hand, I was curious how my truck would handle it. Sitting on 3" SL, 3" BL, 88s/Z71 springs and 33" Guard Dogs, it should've been easy.

And it was.

Being roughly 10 miles long, the dirt road was home to few and fun for many. It had various landscapes to offer, but the most interesting was a Louisiana-style swap that envelops your attention away from reality-- hopefully not too far into the ditch, though. However, we're not there for the scenery, we're there for the mud! Along the 10 miles, we hit many rutted out paths, some impassible except by dedicated, custom subframe boggers like this:

..maybe that's an exaggeration, but the point comes across the same. There were four main patches in a mile stretch we hit. I had my friend's F150 2wd on 35" Mud Grapplers come with me, more or less to show off. Since you really don't need the play-by-play on each pass, I'll sum it up: F150 got 99% stuck on the second pass, I made 8 passes through it in 2WD with no signs of giving up. My tires were caked with no tread showing, yet it somehow still grabbed. I rode the ruts, created new ones, slipped into the sides (and recovered!) and generally walked all over the full-sizes. It was glorious.

The last video is a slow pass, and one of the easier ones unfortunately.

With my gas gauge dropping and my engine/tranny temp reaching 230/240 respectively, I decided it was time to go back. I was incredibly impressed with the grip the tire provided, even when fully caked. The truck handled every pass like a champ (or maybe it was the driver :finger: ), and the lifts undoubtedly were the sole reason for this trip happening. The fact that this Trailblazer was able to pass through everything that the full-sizes were not able to is a testament to
both our members' product's practicality and quality.

So, that's that. T'was fun.
drburke
Off-Roader

Name: Burke
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Hey, at least you got some good action shots and had a good time!

Hope those are high resolution pictures... might be calendar material... maybe.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Cable810 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:48 am

Wow looks like some serious fun especially showing up another rig :lol: that's always fun
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002

by RyansTBLS » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:29 pm

Way to represent! :thumleft: Glad you had fun! :flex dirty:
The problem with the Trailblazer is, people think you know what you're doing.
RyansTBLS
Addict

Name: Ryan
Vehicle Year: 2006

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:31 am

I used to play on roads like that back when I lived in Tallahassee. Good pics.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by drburke » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks all. I know it's not much, but it's what I got for now.

JamesDowning wrote:Hope those are high resolution pictures... might be calendar material... maybe.

Static shots are. Action shots can be reshot in HQ ;)
drburke
Off-Roader

Name: Burke
Vehicle Year: 2004

Return to Eastern U.S.