Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

GWNF single truck trip

Trips/trails in the eastern part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Eastern Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by v7guy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:48 pm

This trip started out as a quick overnight stay to camp for the night with the misses while we we're in VA visiting friends. She's never been camping. It ended being my first night wheeling, first solo wheeling, first dense fog wheeling

I figured since we'd be solo, a nice mild trail would be best. Vepco road seemed like a reasonable path since there's a nice meadow and a good powerline spot available and I've been in the area a couple times. Being that it was a Sunday night we figured we'd have our pick of campsite, and the whole forest seemed to be pretty vacant.
We got at Gospel Hill church about 1730 and headed into the trail. It was nice, and we got down to the meadow in around 45 minutes. It was a little damp due to raining the last couple days, but as anyone that has been there can attest, it's not that bad going down to the meadow. Vepco Road along it's entire length varies pretty drastically but never gets truly terrible. You need 4WD and some decent clearance, but it's still pretty easy going.

The first hangup happened when the misses saw the meadow and thought it was "inadequate". Admittedly, the grass is significantly more overgrown than when we see it during either TECORE. But there's still a nice area under the trees where the ground is clear and comfortable to be in with very minimal clearing. I tried to push for it but she wasn't having it.

So we continued to look for the powerline spot. Now I don't remember this spot nearly as well. I may have passed a couple overgrown trails that lead up to it. But I never did find it. I suspect that this site would have been inadequate from her perspective as well. But I was willing to give it a shot and show it to her. In the end we headed down some unnamed trails and eventually ended up at the end of Vepco onto another road about 2.5 hrs later. Other than walking up to some potential camping by powerline spots and almost pulling on a spooked doe that bolted out of brush 3 ft from me, it was mostly uneventful. The road we came to was Little Dry Lake Rd.

I followed Little Dry Lake Rd for awhile and ended up turning off it and ended up at a gas station. I figured we'd just head back home since we didn't find anything that was acceptable. Since there was a 20% chance of rain and the skies looked rough I figured it was probably for the best. But about that point the misses got mighty insistent that we head back in and go back to the meadow and set up camp there. Eventually she convinced me and we headed back to the church which was just a few miles away.

It was about 2130 at this point and mighty dark. The fog started a few miles in. It wasn't too bad, and I just turned off the high beams and roof lights, and continued in slowly. It took over an hour to get to the point where Vepco road starts. I also had to get out on foot with a flashlight and find the marker. I knew we were in the clearing where Vepco splits but I couldn't remember where exactly. Visibility varied between a half truck length and a full truck length. It got mighty challenging. I couldn't even see the the inside edge of the turns on the switchbacks. After the fog started the foggy picture was the best visibility I had the whole way in.

It took over 2.5 hours to make it down to the meadow.

I got the wood together and started making a fire in the fire ring and got it going decent, then set up the tent. Then it started to sprinkle a bit. But it wasn't a big deal since we were under the trees and I got the fire really going good. I figured we could stay close to it and make some dogs and smores and everything would be fine if not a little wet.
About that time it started a torrential downpour. We'd only gotten about half the stuff in the tent, and it was a serious deluge. I grabbed the rest of the sleeping bags and pillows and tossed in the tent and then I heard "the rain is coming through the tent". I couldn't think what to do except throw a spare tarp under the rainfly. It seemed to mostly do the job. Rain was still leaking in here and there and occasionally we'd get a good drop in the face.

I got in the tent, it was like I took a bath with my clothes on. I changed and crawled in my bag, had a beer, calmed down the misses a bit, then we laughed a bit at the irony that this was her first camping experience and I went to sleep when I saw she was asleep. Despite all the shitty events, the pounding of the rain was kinda relaxing.

We woke up in the morning to lighter rain and eventually got up and had everything packed and headed out by 830. Surprisingly the misses was pretty mild mannered about it all. Then the truck developed a flashing SES about a half hour away from GWNF that didn't clear up for about 4 hours. I suspect some water pooled up around the back coil. I'll check the codes in the morning.

Here's a few pics I grabbed during the trip.

probably my favorite picture...

build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by NC_IslandRunner » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:59 pm

Nice! Now I'm jealous!
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by TBYODA » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:11 am

Nice sounds like you guys had some fun. Tell the misses that camping again can only get better. ;)
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by v7guy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:16 am

TBYODA wrote:Nice sounds like you guys had some fun. Tell the misses that camping again can only get better. ;)

We talked about that, this was pretty much the worst possible outcome. Anything else is going to be fantastic comparatively lol
build thread

v7guy

by Cable810 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:37 am

Would be an awesome calendar picture!! Good write up!!
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by dvanbramer88 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:26 am

Glad you guys still made it out there. Sounds like an adventure for sure.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

by JorDaneeKey » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:09 am

Good for her for being such a trooper!! Hopefully now she'll come to the next TECORE.
As told by the other half: Build Thread
JorDaneeKey
Addict

Name: JorDanee
Vehicle Year: 2003

by ErikSS » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Wow. GREAT pictures!
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:35 pm

Sounds like you made the best out of it all. Nice pics!
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by james02 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:31 am

I think you were the complainer, and she was LOVING it!!!!
james02
Off-Roader

Name: james
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by The Roadie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:30 am

Nice trip report. One more lesson that I had to teach a LOT of other noob tenters in Maine and New Hampshire - the ground cloth tarp has to be SMALLER than the footprint of the tent. Otherwise water runs down the side and funnels UNDER the tent by way of the ground cloth. Fold it smaller next time. Also test tents using a hose in the back yard and seal the leaky seams. And don't accept tents where they cheap out on the rain fly and make it like a beanie. Get a full-size one even if it's ugly. You can't see ugly from inside.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by v7guy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:15 am

Thanks for the tips Bill. I'll fold the ground tarp a bit smaller in the future.
I think the biggest problem was the rainfly. After it got saturated, the rain seemed to go right through it and then since the top of the tent is mesh the water would just come right through. Cramming the tarp under the rainfly seemed to help a lot, but it wasn't big enough to cover the same area that the rainfly did so the rain would run down the tarp and then some would come through the mesh on the top half of the tent.

I've looked at waterproofing spray like Aqua armor, but I've been skeptical that it would work. I think I'm going to give it a try after this last experience. If the waterproofing stuff really worked I think the rainfly would have probably done the job.

Much to my surprise the ground under the tent was dry, maybe we should have just crawled under the tent lol
build thread

v7guy

by TBYODA » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:53 am

Tip on the ground tarp, best is to roll edges in towards tent and tuck under tent to make a wall around edge. You can also dig a small trench around tent so the water will run off away. Nylon naturally repels water, however get yourself some seam sealer and go to town on the seams and not just on the fly. Might have been the one source of the water leaks. Then hit with water once dry to test. The sprays you talk about do work but you have to soak the tent/fly but they don't last. I see the tent is Colman brand. Not sure if you know this but with that model to help keep the rain out (beside seam sealing) you need to pull out the two sides on the fly. Other wise the fly will touch the inside of tent and the rain will run through. Just like the old canvas tents, also keep gear away for sides during rain.
Not sure by the pic if you staked the fly or not cause you could have been taking the tent down when you clicked the pic. Just passing along. Also is the tent old or seen a lot of use? I do a lot of camping with my scout troop and I had to pick up a new tent for last year because of two reasons heavy use and the fact that a wind gust on one fall camp out broke two of the poles. So I did a lot of research last spring and looked at and read a lot reviews on amazon. One thing I notice with the Coleman tent is the flys do not go down far enough IMHO. I also wanted to be able stand, sleep two to three leaders with gear. So got one like this http://tinyurl.com/n4ch3fm. Most likely a little big for you but it works great in heavy rain.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

TBYODA

by v7guy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:58 am

Thanks Robert, I'll keep it in mind about the tarp. The tent has only seen a few trips. So far it has suited my needs fine, but this was by far the roughest weather I've seen in it. That tent you have looks might nice, but probably a good bit more than I need. I'm pretty happy with the smaller footprint. I did have the fly staked, the picture of the tent was mostly an after thought while we were packing up and I'd already pulled them and started removing the tarp under the fly (then I thought I should take a pic). It was still raining when we packed up, so that's why the fly is soaked to the side of the tent.

I'll probably try out the waterproofing before TECORE and I'll make sure I hit the fly and the seams. I realize they're not permanent but it doesn't appear to be a big deal to take care of every few trips. Have you found one that you like more than others?

It's funny you mention the pole collapsing, I had the exact same thing happen when I was a kid camping in a huge storm. Then there was the TECORE it snowed and collapsed a tent. It inspired me to make sure I have a spare pole. lol
build thread

v7guy

by TBYODA » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:02 am

As far as the waterproofing I have only used kiwi camp dry a few time but since I got the new tent have not needed it. ;) One other old timers waterproof trick I have read about is using bees wax on seams, you can just rub it in. Might be something good to have in the truck for field repairs along with duck tape.
I can say my Eureka tent is BIG and a few of the adult leaders harass me about it ever time they see it and call the Tashmahal. If I ever make it to a TECORE event you can do the same! LOL.
Yea I did not have any extra poles on the campout either but a little ingenuity a spare metal tent stake, branches and some duck tape fixed them up for weekend. The old tent had a nice heavy bath tub bottom that I cut off and am using it as ground cloth with my current tent works nice.

TBYODA

by Trail X » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:00 am

Glad you guys made it out there Jason!

Wow, sounds somewhat like my first camping experience with my wife (just substitute the rain for cold weather). Sounds like shes at least willing to do it again, despite the poor conditions. That's a big positive.

Anyhow, thanks for writing up the trip and sharing your experiences. Cheers!
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

Return to Eastern U.S.